1 2
kabel
kabel Dork
2/11/11 8:09 a.m.

^I was thinking the same thing. You know the accord wagon was replaced by... the Odyssey.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
2/11/11 8:21 a.m.
mtn wrote: 90%, Scooby Roos can't tow. BTW, let me know if you ever plan on selling either of the legacy's. If I'm out of college by then (1.5 years), there is a good chance I'd be interested.

My Legacy GT has a towing capacity of 3,500lbs.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
2/11/11 8:26 a.m.

Enthusiasts always say they'd buy a wagon with a manual transmission. Then they don't. I suspect Acura noticed that BMW couldn't sell a 3-series with a manual in large enough numbers to make it worth it. And they probably realize even less people would check that box on an Acura.

I absolutely love manual transmissions, but they are a niche market.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/11/11 10:46 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
mtn wrote: 90%, Scooby Roos can't tow. BTW, let me know if you ever plan on selling either of the legacy's. If I'm out of college by then (1.5 years), there is a good chance I'd be interested.

When I looked into it, it was 3500 with trailer brakes.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/11/11 11:06 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Enthusiasts always say they'd buy a wagon with a manual transmission. Then they don't. I suspect Acura noticed that BMW couldn't sell a 3-series with a manual in large enough numbers to make it worth it. And they probably realize even less people would check that box on an Acura. I absolutely love manual transmissions, but they are a niche market.

I know... and I recall in the AW article that the manual option was chosen on the TSX at like some insanely low number - where Acura probably lost money on every one they sold...

But still...

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/11/11 11:32 a.m.

Honda has sort of a draconian options policy, anyway. Still seems like you could easily make the manual an option, since it's an option on the sedan.

And, yes, the "drifting" web-ad is embarrassing. They call the TSX sedan a "sports car" and then show the transformation from sedan to wagon while the thing is negotiating a turn, obviously on a race track.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/11/11 11:34 a.m.

Oh, and the Jag-Wagon didn't sell well because it suffered the same issue as the Jag-Sedan: Too much Ford Contour.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
2/11/11 11:58 a.m.
mtn wrote:
DaveEstey wrote:
When I looked into it, it was 3500 with trailer brakes.

I wouldn't want to tow without trailer brakes anyway. Truck or Suby.

Also Subaru lists the same towing capacity for the 2.5i as the GT, which has 12.5" rotors and 2-pot calipers in the front.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/11/11 11:58 a.m.
While at it, tell them that $35k is too expensive.

GULP!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/11 12:00 p.m.

Once again, we have a bunch of enthusiast cheapskates hoping that those who are willing to pay new retail will make decisions that support our preferences. Anybody see the flawed logic in that?

With so few producers of station wagons these days, does anyone know the sales spit manual versus auto on the Subaru? Audi? other? And if thyey aren't selling those in manuals, why should we expect Acura to be any different?

Sorry to be a pill. I tried to talk my wife into getting a wagon when the tree fell on our Rav-4, but she insisted on the higher driving position, and we ended up with an automatic CX-7.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
2/11/11 12:34 p.m.

Manual legacy gt wagons are like hens teeth

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
2/11/11 12:41 p.m.

I have it on pretty good authority that a certain "factory" Acura TSX racer/team owner will be likely getting a wagon with some...um...'upgrades' as his new daily driver.

EricM
EricM Dork
2/11/11 1:34 p.m.

is this the Cadillac CTS-V wagon thread, 'cuz if it is then you can count me in!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/11/11 2:09 p.m.
kreb wrote: Once again, we have a bunch of enthusiast cheapskates hoping that those who are willing to pay new retail will make decisions that support our preferences. Anybody see the flawed logic in that?

Oh, I see the flaw and that flaw is exactly the reason that I need to encourage others to make the effort that I do not want to make myself, at least not yet and not at these prices. Think of this as a long term plan.

John - owner of 1995 Volvo 850 with manual trans bought with 106k miles on it and 11 years old at the time.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
2/11/11 9:04 p.m.
gamby wrote:
mtn wrote:
CivicSiRacer wrote: What surprises me about the TSX Wagon is why they came out with them in the 1st place when the Accord wagon had dismal sales front the start. Why would you come out with a car that is basically the same that has poor sales? From I hear dealerships cannot get rid of the Accord Wagons.
They have an Accord Wagon? That is newer than 1995ish?
Is that referring to that awful "sportcross" (or whatever they call it) crossover thing they make?

yes that grotesque thing.

Dav
Dav New Reader
2/11/11 10:51 p.m.

This kinda makes me miss our Mazda6 wagon that we bought new--with the 5-spd manual, of course.

When it was wrecked and totalled, at that point my wife had never owned a car with an automatic. When looking to replace it, we really wanted another wagon with a manual trans.

Alas, the landscape was then barren or had a few choices that we either weren't willing to pay that much for or considered it a POS.

So my wife ended up with a new G8 GT with the slushbox, which she loves, but we both miss the practicality of a wagon. I too hope that the CTS-V wagon sells in droves so we can pickup one up used and have the best of both worlds.

applejelly
applejelly
2/12/11 9:10 a.m.

I am new here and fit the profile that kreb outlines above. I always always liked the TSX and love the wagon, but drive manuals and don't want to compromise. I went to our local auto show last night and confirmed how nice the TSX wagon is otherwise. I am 6'3" and don't want an SUV but do want a car with a manual for 4 full-grown people, including my 13 year old son who is only going to be getting taller. TSX would fit us. I evaluated back seat headroom, which is pitiful in most cars, wagons or otherwise. That includes the stylish CTS wagon. Yeah it's a wagon, but you'd never know it from the rear headroom. GTI backseat worked better for me!

J
J New Reader
2/12/11 12:46 p.m.

needs MOAR RWD!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
2/13/11 3:40 p.m.
kreb wrote: With so few producers of station wagons these days, does anyone know the sales spit manual versus auto on the Subaru? Audi? other? And if thyey aren't selling those in manuals, why should we expect Acura to be any different?

Good luck (in Canada anyways) finding an automatic Subie. They are around, but few and far between.

Dashpot
Dashpot New Reader
2/13/11 7:57 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Quite the opposite here to the south. The few wagons of any flavor that get sold represent a tiny percentage (5?) of their sedan brethren in the same model line. Of those measly sales, maybe 5-10% are manuals. They're losers for the manufacturers, and occupy either the bottom rung of the model lineup (Subes & such), or are vestigial remanant of times gone by (BMW). We were saddened to find the current 328 is a sluggish mommywagon as an auto, not sure whether it's even available as a manual anymore. The X3 will outsell it 10:1.

That being said, we ordered 2 new wagons over the weekend! A manual for me (A3) and an auto for her (A4, new 8 speed is very nice). I would have waited for the next batch of "real" sportwagons to come out, but with details scarce on the new powertrains I thought I should jump while 3 pedals were still around. We'll see.....

mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
1/5/12 3:02 p.m.

Just bought a 2012 with tech package in graphite gray for my wife. She was in a Nissan Murano and was tired of driving a huge vehicle. She wanted something smaller with better mileage and the bells and whistles. I really like the car and will probably use it as my daily when she's done with it in a few years. It's a Honda so it should last. Dealers in GA were willing to deal too and we got a great price - below dealer cost according to truecar.com. Dealer cost is $32,543 and we got it for $32,500.

It isn't very fast but it handles fine for what we need it to do. I plan to throw a hitch on the back for our bikes and get a cargo top thingy for our summer trip to the beach.

I think I like it better than my 335i. I can't exploit everything the BMW has to offer while driving to work or around town so it's kind of a waste. Maybe it's the wagon body but the Acura has won a place in my heart.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Szs87Scw9ReRAqUe8nCjPVnFxgtNsmCUdf3hwlPnsUnAMJQi3kdjnzoi0Y2We0SB