thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/24 10:13 p.m.

I've got a set of aluminum wheels I'd like to bolt onto my Samurai and I'm not sure if I need the Toyota-style shanked lug nuts or not. I'm pretty sure they're American Eagle brand based on the center caps that say "Eagle." Not sure what model though. I can find anything on the back of the spokes to ID them, other than the 15x7 size. How I can tell what style of lug nuts I need? I checked with a magnet to see if there were steel inserts in the lug holes and didn't get any kind of stick. Pictures below. I can take more if needed. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
4/30/24 8:17 a.m.

Looks like a regular conical seat to me, and the holes look about 1/2" diameter on the tape. Regular nuts should work, I think. You could paint the seat area and bolt them on to see what the nut to seat contact looks like.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/24 8:47 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/24 9:11 a.m.

While I don't see an insert at first blush, it's also worth noting that many very common grades of stainless steel will also not attract a magnet.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
4/30/24 10:02 a.m.
brandonsmash said:

While I don't see an insert at first blush, it's also worth noting that many very common grades of stainless steel will also not attract a magnet.

Also, I've seen inserts that were more visible from the back of the wheel. Sometimes the inserts weren't flush to the mounting surface.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/24 2:25 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

That's clever. I can use the lugs holding the steel wheels on the car now to test with. They're rusty trash so they need to be replaced either way. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/24 3:23 p.m.

I'd probably run the et style lug nuts and call it a day 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uoELZak4nzF9mfy1qMUYSLIYA59Tn2BhgQYblaVqIOvd2g3uxN6QjQKmTXd1ltVT