Caraddict
Caraddict New Reader
7/13/13 8:14 p.m.

I would like to buy a fun car for myself, and I'm looking for some advice. I looking for a car that's reliable, stick shift, fun to drive, and backyard mechanic friendly. I have been looking at miatas for a while but I want to know what else is out there. I care more about agility and handling over raw horse power. I live in CT, to give you guys and idea of what I can get my hands on.

So these are my options:

Sell my 2005 corolla + some cash = get something nice for around 8k

Keep the corolla + spend around 4000 on fun car

Sell corolla and buy new fun car

I'm 22 and short so I fit in all cars.

I like roadsters, sedans, coupes, no trucks or mazda5's or honda fits. Would prefer 4 cylinders.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/13 8:29 p.m.

E36 BMWs present a lot of bang for the buck. For $4K, you could pick up a 328i/is in great shape...

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/13 9:13 p.m.

E36 318is or ti would get you good handling DIY friendly fun with 4 cylinders. The ti has the funky rear suspension though. Though you gain little in the mpg department over the 325/328 cars.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
7/13/13 9:14 p.m.

I'd recommend Miatas, you could sell or keep the Corolla. The 3 series suggestion is a good one as well, amazing cars for the money, but you will pay more for maintenance than the Miata, that said, I owned an E36 and it was very easy to work on.

What have you driven? I recommend trying on a few.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
7/13/13 9:17 p.m.

Neon! Buy 4 of them for that kinda cash. I recommend something with 4 seats if you plan to keep it for awhile. Mustangs are fun and cheap as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
siYOGTDoQMjlewH1ZNMtcU05zdJUB8Dxo8E7cs07GdM8VjjBEcUREMEVQMsk0dkF