1 2
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/10/17 8:48 a.m.

I wouldnt kick a later 2nd gen out of bed, but Im not feeling the nose - too much overhang. Those flares though, I could live with them. I kinda dig the disco feel that the color schemes of the early 80s give off. Makes me want to find my airbrushed denim jacket.

A restomod split bumper clone is on my short list of wants. I say clone because I wouldnt want to cut up a real split bumper survivor, but I love the look with the big grille. I want tubular arms, EFI, 4w disc, urethane stuffs, chassis stiffening...the works.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/10/17 8:51 a.m.

Our family car when I was a kid was a 71 Z28. I would love to have one.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
5/10/17 9:13 a.m.

Do I like 2nd Gen Camaros? Does a bear E36 M3 in the woods?

Woody, that blue one caught my eye the other day. That front end looks similar to the one that's on the Hugger Camaro tuner cars from back then:

That blue car has a lot of stuff going on. There's a set of wheel foilers/flares on the rear of the wheel wells, a power antenna on the wrong side of where a factory one would be, and what appears to be aftermarket T-Tops. Still a very cool car, even for parts.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
5/10/17 9:22 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Our family car when I was a kid was a 71 Z28. I would love to have one.

I had this 71 Z, was later red with black stripes till I sold it. I've had a bunch of 2nd gen F bodies.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/scan%20pics/001.jpg.html][/URL]

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
5/10/17 9:31 a.m.

Also, I'm liking the 1974-77 Camaros more and more as the years go on. There's a sweet 1974 around here that has the "Bumblebee" thing going on, except it's not a turd. It's super, super clean, has the right stance, and makes me want one. Actually found a pic I took of it; here it is!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/10/17 9:35 a.m.
NOT A TA wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: Our family car when I was a kid was a 71 Z28. I would love to have one.
I had this 71 Z, was later red with black stripes till I sold it. I've had a bunch of 2nd gen F bodies.

Yup. Dad's car was BRG with black stripes, and for some reason sat lower. I remember him comparing it to other Z's at the time and pointing out how his seemed lower than than the others. The dealer mechanic doing warranty work on it also pointed that out. I can see it now looking at yours. I should see if I can find a pic of it.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
5/10/17 9:39 a.m.

I'm surprised the ad for the blue car is still up. There were aftermarket wheel flares made for the Firebirds too, also sought after.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/wf3.jpg.html][/URL]

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
5/10/17 9:45 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
NOT A TA wrote:
Yup. Dad's car was BRG with black stripes, and for some reason sat lower. I remember him comparing it to other Z's at the time and pointing out how his seemed lower than than the others. The dealer mechanic doing warranty work on it also pointed that out. I can see it now looking at yours. I should see if I can find a pic of it.

Lots of us ran air shocks in the 70's-80's.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/10/17 10:11 a.m.

My first car was a turd of a 81 Camaro. Loved it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/17 10:15 a.m.
Tony Sestito wrote: Also, I'm liking the 1974-77 Camaros more and more as the years go on. There's a sweet 1974 around here that has the "Bumblebee" thing going on, except it's not a turd. It's super, super clean, has the right stance, and makes me want one. Actually found a pic I took of it; here it is!

Maybe it's because I was a little kid back then, but I don't share the hate for most of the mid 70's impact bumper cars. At that point, I was too young to have any great allegiance to pre-74 chrome bumpered stuff yet. They were new cars and I liked them.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/10/17 10:52 a.m.

If anyone has a project Camaro, I have a set of IROC flares like these:

In the rafters of my shop. I'd let them go for a reasonable price.

No, they don't fit Firebirds, the fender shape is different.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
5/10/17 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Oh man, sounds like an excuse to buy a Camaro!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/17 11:26 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: If anyone has a project Camaro, I have a set of IROC flares like these: In the rafters of my shop. I'd let them go for a reasonable price. No, they don't fit Firebirds, the fender shape is different.

Sent you a message, but if you don't get it email me at paul.przyborski@gmail.com please.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/10/17 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Gimp:

No worries, I'll get back to you when I get home from work tonight.

Fair warning, I'm in Canuckistan so shipping may be a killer. They're also a bit buried so it might take a bit to get to them.

They are brand new though, I bought them about 10 years ago and never used them.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/17 11:44 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to Gimp: No worries, I'll get back to you when I get home from work tonight. Fair warning, I'm in Canuckistan so shipping may be a killer. They're also a bit buried so it might take a bit to get to them. They are brand new though, I bought them about 10 years ago and never used them.

Do you know if these are the US Body Source ones?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/17 3:26 p.m.

Call me weird but the biggest reason why I liked the pontiac's better was how they did the rear spoiler and bring it down the side of the tail light where as the camaro version is just strait across and dies in to the fender.

This on the Pontiac

Versus this on the camaro

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/17 3:28 p.m.

Ohhh and the other little detail that I like better is that the Pontiac exhaust pipes come strait back where as the Camaro angle down out the back.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/10/17 3:38 p.m.

In reply to dean1484: well maybe on that one but the T/A and GTO had twins on each side behind the rear wheels pointing Down and rearward and are a trade mark to Pontiac

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/10/17 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Gimp:

Not a clue, bought them at a swap meet as new, never installed.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/10/17 5:27 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Pardon?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/17 7:33 p.m.

Going to look at an 81 Friday

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
5/11/17 4:50 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

The Gold T/A's were one of my favorites

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/11/17 10:25 a.m.

As many of you know, on Tuesday, the Tire Rack One Lap of America competitors came to the GRM HQ. There were all kinds of awesome machines---- a bunch of GTRs, radically modified Porsche 911s, a heavily modified Ariel Atom, even a giant Ford Country Squire wagon from 1977 or so!

My favorite One Lap car? This 1981 Camaro. I've been reading about this car forever, as it has competed in 27 One Lap events! The car has over 155K One Lap of American miles!

It's a 6spd, caged, heavily modified car at this point........Bitchin Camaro indeed!

Zspoiler
Zspoiler None
2/12/18 7:57 p.m.

I have had my 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pro-Touring Car It gone from dally driver to toy.With the speedometer  turning over 6 times.Like to see some new cars do that . Along with one of my favorite type Race cars.The19777-81 IMSA Camel GT Camaroos

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49V2x52Lk7hQmnZKaWNuG5IgBVxOW6xlt0XSFCrdiFfcoKu0bszkAWB1OVqV9FGi