Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/4/23 12:34 p.m.
feature_image

One way to get more bang for your buck? Just use the same car to compete in two separate racing series.

That’s what Aston Martin is planning to do: fielding a Valkyrie Le Mans Hypercar in IMSA’s GTP class.

Through the invaluable support and backing of Aston Martin’s championship-winning endurance racing partner Heart of Racing [HoR], at least one Valkyrie racecar …

Read the rest of the story

350z247
350z247 Reader
10/4/23 2:09 p.m.

This thing is fantastic; I would take race cars like this everyday of the week over the snooze fest turbo 4/6 cylinder hybrids from F1 and cars like the 919.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/4/23 2:33 p.m.

Another NA entry to the mix, with a 6.5-liter V12. I wonder if it will thunder like the Cadillacs. The Cadillacs rumble the ground as they go by.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/23 3:50 p.m.

Back in the Golden Era of GTP the variety of engines going around the track were mesmerizing. Everything from turbo 4's to NA V-12's. The Jag 12's would scream thru Daytona NASCAR T1 and T2, while the V8's rumbled, the turbo v6's and turbo 4's wailed. It was awesome falling asleep listening to all that noise deep into the night.

The current sportcar racing entries are getting that variation back, mostly. Not likely to see many 1000HP turbo 4's anymore. The Gurney Eagles were 2.2L with boost to nearly 7 atmospheres (90+ psi). We prepped one for Goodwood several years ago and had to remap the entire fueling system because the guy that mixed the fuel had passed away.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
10/4/23 6:02 p.m.

When LMH was getting off the ground Aston Martin asked to raise the power limit because they claimed it was too difficult to limit the Cosworth V12. I guess they found the motivation to make it work. Might be a challenge without hybrid power.

In reply to stafford1500 :

2015 was a good year for a variety in LMP1, too bad only Porsche and Audi were truly competitive.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/23 6:46 p.m.

YES!  Now GMA do a T.50 or T.33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dAqwJjsQFsxW6hNWTh0FadfZR5Nvqj0wHv2ldjvEGER0Uxg9cLhZwv3IQeZHDJwx