1 2
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/13 1:55 p.m.

During my usual CL searching I came across a S6 Avant that will need a clutch soon. How bad is the job to replace it on these? Will I hate myself for attempting it or is it straightforward?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3632303951.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/21/13 2:02 p.m.

Do you even care? It's a 5 cylinder S6 Avant that runs and doesn't look terrible for $3000.

EvanB
2/21/13 2:03 p.m.

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/21/13 2:10 p.m.

Here let me help you:

http://youtu.be/tdXhvTwUa8U

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/13 2:19 p.m.

::drool:: I love me some 5cyl. turbo sound at full bore.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
2/21/13 2:25 p.m.

I know a guy with one of these that complements his 20v swapped Mars Red URQ quite nicely. GET IT!

EvanB
2/21/13 2:45 p.m.

My second question will be if I can find a hitch to flat tow my Miata.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
2/21/13 2:49 p.m.

Looks like the front bumper is broken and those are unobtanium. Great cars that are getting older and more and more needy. Parts for them are getting difficult to source, Audi doesn't support their older cars the way Mercedes, BMW and Porsche do.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
2/21/13 3:04 p.m.

They're cool cars. It looks like the typical ignition issues have been taken care of.

Motorgeek and Audifans are your friends for this one.

EFIExpress and 034Motorsports are good sources for goodies. The seller has figured that out, which is probably a good sign.

EvanB
2/21/13 3:05 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Parts for them are getting difficult to source, Audi doesn't support their older cars the way Mercedes, BMW and Porsche do.

Well my current DD is a Peugeot 405...

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
2/21/13 3:15 p.m.

Mi 16?

EvanB
2/21/13 3:20 p.m.

Yessir

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
2/21/13 3:20 p.m.

According to ALLDATA, about 9 hours to do the job. It's gotta be easier to do than an A6 2.7T clutch, which are horrible mainly because of the catalytic converters.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/13 3:24 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Good Lord! You are just a glutton for punishment. Are you sure you cant find a Lada or something?

EvanB
2/21/13 3:25 p.m.
Ojala wrote: In reply to EvanB: Good Lord! You are just a glutton for punishment. Are you sure you cant find a Lada or something?

Believe me, I have looked.

The Peugeot isn't bad at all actually, just some interesting electrical problems and it takes a little searching to find the parts you need.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/21/13 3:47 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: According to ALLDATA, about 9 hours to do the job. It's gotta be easier to do than an A6 2.7T clutch, which are horrible mainly because of the catalytic converters.

That's FAR less than i would have guessed. berkeley it, i'd buy the E36 M3 out of that.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/21/13 4:05 p.m.

I currently own one of these in Sedan guise. I say, go for it. 9 hours is for a first timer. If you know what you are doing, and don't run into any surprises, you should be able to do a clutch in 6...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/21/13 4:06 p.m.

I have never owned an Audi but I had a friend with an A4 that needed a clutch replacement and it required some crazy thing like pulling the engine or removing the front clip and sub frame in order to gain access to it. I don't remember exactly but he started it and ended up having to have it towed to a mechanic to have the job finished due to the difficulty. I think it ended up being in the $2-$3K range. It's been a few years so I may not remember all the facts accurately but the point is find out as much as you can about the job and cost before making a decision.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
2/21/13 4:14 p.m.

As someone who loves fast wagons, that is a hell of a car. FCP Groton, an outfit that used to be Volvo only, or Volvo & another make or two, is now carrying Audi and lots of other stuff. They have great customer service. here is their 1995 s6 clutch page. clutch

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/21/13 4:19 p.m.
EvanB wrote: My second question will be if I can find a hitch to flat tow my Miata.

if not, make one.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/21/13 4:29 p.m.

For so many cars the ability to drop the front subframe is a blessing. It makes it so much easier to access many items and really isn't that big of a job.

BTW dropping it doesn't mean removing the whole engine. It means just that dropping it down to make it easier to reach items towards the top or otherwise blocked by body/frame parts.

EvanB
2/21/13 8:42 p.m.

I texted the seller, waiting on some more pictures.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
2/25/13 2:19 p.m.

Any news?

EvanB
2/25/13 2:21 p.m.

I got some more pictures, it looks solid but a bit worn. I don't have any time this week to go take a look at it so I'll have to wait until next week if it is still around.

ss
ss New Reader
2/26/13 6:00 a.m.

Easy clutch job. I daily a 93 s4 sedan and love it. Wish it got better mileage but oh well. If I needed a daily I would be all over that wago

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9LVKEsnuCMPct9HBjVRCIuWduRFXZRwmtJO6m1V59xfUVPKvuUkOZnpoVfTYrL2i