759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/22/22 7:16 p.m.

So almost a year ago I had the transmission on the 04 Bravada "serviced".  If I had been at the house I'd have dropped the pan,  cleaned the pan, new filter and a new pan gasket. This institution uses a procedure where by they "flush" the system through the coolant lines.....no new filter ...etc. I was assured that this is the "norm", but subsequently it segued into a new radiator after I complained (not loudly enough) about the fluid leakage at these connections. Also they threw the BG service at me too.  When  I questioned this routine I was informed that simply "dropping the pan does not get the fluid that resides in the TQ". How much(fluid) is that.....and then when does one actually go old school with a filter/pan gasket?    I call whorze36m3

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/22 7:47 p.m.

A pan drop only gets you half.  A BG service flushes twelve quarts of new fluid through the system.  It's a little wasteful but it gets it ALL out.

Filters generally are not wear items anymore with modern transmission/engine control strategy.  Nothing really wears in the trans to plug the filter.  Most transmissions don't even have accessible filters anymore, they are inside the case and require major disassembly to get to. The gasket on your '04, too, is a really nice reuseable rubber lined metal unit and only hacks throw it away and put on a leak-prone cork or rubber gasket.

As far as the leakage goes... assuming that the quick disconnect fittings were not replaceable, the O rings inside them are.  Have done a bunch.  Maybe they do not have people working there skilled enough to repair things, and they only know how to hang new parts.  OTOH it is amazing how much better a new radiator works compared to an old unit that has accumulated a bunch of crud inside and out, so it is still not a bad thing, if it were sold that way.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/22/22 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Point well made.....but $800 for a radiator/coolant lines ...sheeeesh.....and no it wasn't sold that way. This whole procedure is way outa my realm of experiences....  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TuD3kRzBaZkdLSgMSXpuZZoENVOJTJbPHPBNv5XR8SXA8ey7q3jT7cX4ywnVtb9o