1 2
Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 11:46 a.m.

As a true petrol head my gears are always whirling as to what car is next on the docket. Currently driving a 330i ZHP and with a move to MI in the future I am thinking about getting an AWD car. What do you guys think the AWD equivalent of the ZHP would be? I know you can get an E46 with AWD, but outside of that...? Evo? WRX?

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/20/15 11:53 a.m.

Audi A4 is probably the obvious answer because it is also german and has the same luxuries.

Evo and STI is more a non compromise performance car

Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 11:56 a.m.
kanaric wrote: Audi A4 is probably the obvious answer because it is also german and has the same luxuries. Evo and STI is more a non compromise performance car

I think the ZHP is closer to the WRX/EVO/STI than a "regular" A4

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/20/15 12:01 p.m.

An A4 with a S-line sport package (I think that's right....) yeah, but STI/EVO not even close.

More like a legacy GT area if the euro thing is not a requirement.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 12:24 p.m.

I think its pretty comparable to the 02-03 WRX, at least on paper. Similar power figures, acceleration and handling numbers.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
3/20/15 12:28 p.m.

Volvo S60R? Focus RS?

Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 12:29 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Volvo S60R? Focus RS?

Had not thought about the Volvos, will check em out.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/20/15 12:31 p.m.
Storz wrote:
kanaric wrote: Audi A4 is probably the obvious answer because it is also german and has the same luxuries. Evo and STI is more a non compromise performance car

IMO the ZHP is not comparable. A4 with springs (or the mentioned s-line package) I guess then then. Either way it is the closest thing. 300hp AWD cars with minimal interior is not close to that BMW.

I had a WRX I wouldn't compare it to any BMW at all. It's not at all the same thing. Car with 1995 interior, minimum weight, high road noise, AWD and 300hp compared to a luxury vehicle with a suspension package?

You asked for the AWD equivalent of your car. That Audi is it.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/15 12:44 p.m.

330xi?

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/15 12:44 p.m.

X3M

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/20/15 12:47 p.m.

Snow tires on the ZHP?

Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 12:50 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
Storz wrote:
IMO the ZHP is not comparable. A4 with springs (or the mentioned s-line package) I guess then then. Either way it is the closest thing. 300hp AWD cars with minimal interior is not close to that BMW. I had a WRX I wouldn't compare it to any BMW at all. It's not at all the same thing. Car with 1995 interior, minimum weight, high road noise, AWD and 300hp compared to a luxury vehicle with a suspension package? You asked for the AWD equivalent of your car. That Audi is it.

I've had several B5 A4s and from experience can tell you the handling is no where near what the handling is on the ZHP, perhaps the B6 was a major improvement but with a FWD based awd system and the motor WAAAAAAAAAAY out front it just doesn't feel the same. The ZHP feels more like my 05 2.5RS than it does the Audis I've had. Hence my reasoning that it is comparable to the WRX.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 12:50 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Snow tires on the ZHP?

A very strong consideration

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
3/20/15 1:08 p.m.

I would look at an E90 335xi. more power and more modern. Then get the snow tires.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/20/15 1:12 p.m.
cdowd wrote: I would look at an E90 335xi. more power and more modern. Then get the snow tires.

Was the 335xi available with a manual?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
3/20/15 1:17 p.m.

You can try a G37x or man up and drive a RWD w/ snow tires. I just survived a Cleveland winter in a Mustang GT with used snow tires and did better than 95% of the people in their SUVs.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
3/20/15 1:18 p.m.

335xi was available with a manual, but not in the last 2 or 3 years for some reason.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
3/20/15 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I am pretty sure they were. I will double check.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
3/20/15 1:26 p.m.
Storz
Storz Dork
3/20/15 1:31 p.m.
cdowd wrote: Manual Trans 335XI

Very cool, little higher than I'll have to spend but good to know its out there. I didn't realize they made the xi with a manual trans.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
3/20/15 2:12 p.m.
Storz wrote:

If you like wagons, there's also the V70R that I have a strange lust for.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
3/20/15 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Storz:

Subaru Legacy Spec B. The Legacy is nicer interior wise than a WRX, but a stock regular GT would fall short handling wise. Stock Vs. stock, the Spec B is a good match.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/20/15 3:08 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: 335xi was available with a manual, but not in the last 2 or 3 years for some reason.

Someone in my office building has a 335xi with a manual transmission. It's a two door coupe, black inside and out. I think it must be kind of a unicorn.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/20/15 3:29 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:
Storz wrote:
If you like wagons, there's also the V70R that I have a strange lust for.

Another wagon option is the 535xiT which was also available with a 6 spd manual. I think it was only available here in '09 and maybe '10. Oddly enough, the manual was only available with AWD. Unfortunately, they're becoming unicorns. Not a single one on Autotrader right now anywhere in the country (there are currently 2 5-series wagons with manu-matics mistagged as manuals).

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/20/15 3:33 p.m.

The same generation Audi S4 should be a punch above your ZHP, technically. But I too, would rather put snows on the ZHP and have fun in the winter.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j62AjsQ2rTgluREoITSAGivt0DyzUOs6g4dFIxZkRJWkFNDDBUuv2KnYCC86tQ4C