WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/15 4:29 a.m.

Looks like I'm about to have the first non-maintenance mechanical issue with my 2007: the alternator light keeps coming on when you hold it above 5000 rpm for any length of time.

This started after a track day last year, and now send to be regressing to the point it'll cone on occasionally on the highway.

I've read that it could be the bearings going, allowing shaft play which moves the shaft away from the windings.

I've had pretty crappy luck with advancepepzone's alternators, anyone have any favorite brands? How's the Napa ones?

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
5/6/15 6:16 a.m.

2007 what? The stores just sell for different remans. The Nippodenso ones I get from Napa aren't bad and come from a choice of two remans. Both come with a limited 3yr warranty.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/6/15 8:04 a.m.

I like OEMs rebuilt by the oldest dude in town you can find.

As far as my experiences go, all FLAPS reman alternators are utter and total garbage.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/6/15 8:17 a.m.

I've had a rebuilt Bosch from Auto Zone in my BMW for years now, no issues.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/6/15 8:22 a.m.

I've had good luck with NAPA remans

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/6/15 9:55 a.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: Looks like I'm about to have the first non-maintenance mechanical issue with my 2007: the alternator light keeps coming on when you hold it above 5000 rpm for any length of time. This started after a track day last year, and now send to be regressing to the point it'll cone on occasionally on the highway. I've read that it could be the bearings going, allowing shaft play which moves the shaft away from the windings. I've had pretty crappy luck with advancepepzone's alternators, anyone have any favorite brands? How's the Napa ones?

It is because the brushes are worn down and lose contact. If available, a set of new brushes will fix the problem. If the alternator is putting out the power at lower rpm , then nothing else is wrong with it.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/6/15 10:10 a.m.

A slipping belt could cause this too. Have you double checked belt tension?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 11:02 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I like OEMs rebuilt by the oldest dude in town you can find.

This!!!!

We are luck to have a local guy that has been doing it for ever. They are far better than anything I have got on line or over the counter. He also does starters and the are of equal quality.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
5/6/15 12:01 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I like OEMs rebuilt by the oldest dude in town you can find. As far as my experiences go, all FLAPS reman alternators are utter and total garbage.

This is the best option every time!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/6/15 12:03 p.m.

denso

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/6/15 12:28 p.m.

I go with OEM for alternators. The reman one I bought for my E36 only lasted for 2 years, and of course it's one of the parts that I didn't have the receipt for. I also go with OEM for starters, too.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/6/15 2:58 p.m.

If you do go for a parts store reman, have it bench tested in the store before you leave.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 3:37 p.m.

Honestly, I put a Autozone reman on my work van. That was 2 years and 100K+ miles ago. I've never had a reman fail.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/6/15 3:42 p.m.
T.J. wrote: A slipping belt could cause this too. Have you double checked belt tension?

++1 check the belt closely. It was bad belt that caused my power steering issues in my 4runner.

Years ago the alternator in my Nissan truck went bad. I needed the truck to travel for work, so I dind't have time to have it rebuilt so I needed up getting one at Autozone. It failed one year later and was repalced under warranty. That unit is still on the truck 15+ years later. Of course now it will fail.

I second finding a good local shop to rebuild it.

WonkoTheSane
5/6/15 4:25 p.m.
gjz30075 wrote: 2007 what? The stores just sell for different remans. The Nippodenso ones I get from Napa aren't bad and come from a choice of two remans. Both come with a limited 3yr warranty.

Whoops, Rx-8...

Righto, I'll swap a new belt on, but it looked okay and the depth gauge said it was fine.

Other than that, time to find an old dude I guess :)

Thanks all!

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/6/15 5:34 p.m.

car-part.com save hundreds on OE anywhere.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/7/15 8:39 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I like OEMs rebuilt by the oldest dude in town you can find. As far as my experiences go, all FLAPS reman alternators are utter and total garbage.

I recently bought a starter from an automotive electrical rebuilding shop, and it was quite a revelation. When I brought a core in, the guy behind the counter didn't even ask what it came out of - he just took one look at it, said, "I think we've got a couple like that back here," and brought out a direct replacement. They charged half the price of a parts store starter rebuild, and it works great. I'd definitely recommend having a look at what rebuilders you have locally.

And yes, I've had a parts store starter die on me about 6 months after buying it. That was at the Mitty, too, about an hour before they closed. Good thing Honda starters are easy to swap out.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/7/15 8:45 a.m.

stupid question here. What are FLAPS?

WonkoTheSane
5/7/15 9:19 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: stupid question here. What are FLAPS?

Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. Replace with Friendly with a less nice F word as necessary, depending on how often you have to replace the crappy Miata radiator (still under warranty at least!) they sold you..

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/7/15 12:42 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote:
Flight Service wrote: stupid question here. What are FLAPS?
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. Replace with Friendly with a less nice F word as necessary, depending on how often you have to replace the crappy Miata radiator (still under warranty at least!) they sold you..

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/7/15 1:02 p.m.

i don't think i've ever bought an alternator at a store... the beauty of playing with older GM cars is that an alternator from the 90's that's just laying around the garage collecting dust bolts in place of an alternator from the 60's, with maybe a pulley swap and a spliced wire..

but i'd go with the local rebuilder if the guy at the local NAPA wasn't able to get me the parts i need to fix the one i have..

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/7/15 5:03 p.m.

Just ship me your old one and I will fix it for you.

Might cost more than a rebuilt one when all is done.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zkImGcC0w4A6qKPebtEtfvB3upliepuQcKkDbIJWx6Jubs6CWuACahuEox3uOGvB