Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/19/16 4:41 p.m.

I have a few questions about buying an accident damaged C6 Corvette via Copart or similar.

1. It seems like there are a number of cars with salvage titles with relatively superficial damage. For instance: http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/28290856?searchId=1638513798 To me that looks like a $3-4k repair at most in a normal car. Corvette body panels (bumpers, fenders, etc) don't seem to be insanely priced... Am I missing something?

2. Is there any reason to avoid a damaged Corvette compared to any other car? Is there anything to watch out for?

3. I can't justify the cost of a new Corvette and used ones hold their value ridiculously well, for instance they depreciate around 50% in 10 years. While it's difficult to find actual sale prices for damaged or damaged->repaired C6s, my thinking is that many "corvette people" might be scared off by a collision. I kind of like cars that have been in accidents and repaired as I don't care if a car is absolutely perfect and I like the price discount. Does this logic make sense with a Corvette or is there something more to consider?

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
8/19/16 5:23 p.m.

I don't know anything about Corvettes but I have bought several motorcycles and cars from Copart. I've sold one of the motorcycles with a salvage title and it was difficult and I did not make any money on the deal. The cars I plan to drive into the ground so the salvage title is not a big deal. Just be aware if you plan to sell it can be difficult.

As far as repair costs go there is usually more damage then you can see in the pictures, I would advise going in person and checking them out. Also, remember the insurance company has to fix things back to like-new and you will probably not do that and your labor is "free" vs a pro body shop.

Good luck!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/16 7:35 p.m.

Will you be able to insure and register a car with a salvage title in your state?

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/19/16 8:29 p.m.

^ Once the title is changed to "rebuilt" yes.

The intent of branding vehicles seems like a good idea on the surface, but looking on auction sites there seem to be all sorts of branded vehicles which look to have cosmetic only damage. Where I live a vehicle is branded if estimated repair costs > non-damaged value - estimated part out value. I understand in some states are even stricter. In the link I posted above, I see a rear bumper panel, rear fender panel, wheel, possibly black bit below bumper and a couple of lesser lights. Am I off base?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/19/16 9:35 p.m.

That looks like a someone got a little tail happy and hit on the rear passenger side from the wheel damage. I'd be willing to bet there's some suspension damage also. That said if not then it looks like a wheel away from a rebuilt title here in Florida.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
8/19/16 10:18 p.m.

That's a hard enough hit I'd be concerned it might not align when you replace all the suspension stuff on that corner.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
8/20/16 12:03 a.m.

Never bought anything off Copart, don't recall ever looking at the site. It seems like you can buy intact cars here, I thought it was just parts. Shows you how much I know. I'd be curious if people have had good experiences buying here. Good luck with the vette, I don't know your skill level but the position of that rear passenger wheel scares me.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/20/16 12:06 a.m.

Just for the record, I'm not buying the car in the link, it was more an example for discussion to figure out if this idea even makes sense. :)

Toebra
Toebra Reader
8/20/16 1:30 a.m.

Would be a nice base for one of those tubeframe corvette go cart looking things. There is a guy who autocrosses one of those around here that is so fast, it looks blue coming toward you, red going away. It is so fast that I have no doubt his watch runs backwards when he is driving it.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
8/20/16 8:21 a.m.
Snrub wrote: Where I live a vehicle is branded if estimated repair costs > non-damaged value - estimated part out value.

That's only partially correct. Many states go by a % of value threshold, where salvage value doesn't even factor into the decision. Also, an insurance company can total a car that doesn't fit the above criteria if they want. Could be for customer service, rental costs can factor in, or other various reasons. It could also be totaled because of salvage value. Perfect example is the Prius. Even if a state says a car should be totaled when damages reach 70% of the cars' value, the Prius (depending on how it's hit) can bring a pretty high return at salvage auction. So an insurance company may total the car at 50% of it's value because they know they'll get 50% back at salvage sale.

I know you said you're not buying the 'Vette link you gave, but in general, be sure you know what you're getting in to. For example, that one unquestionably has suspension damage. Just a very rough guess is that you're looking at a $8k repair if it goes to a body shop, probably more.

Nothing "wrong" with buying a salvage car, just know what you're buying. Also know it'll have a significantly lower value when you go to sell it.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/20/16 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Toebra:

That was my thought, roller skate Corvette.

qued
qued New Reader
8/20/16 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Brian:

Check out B is for Build on youtube. He buys salvage cars on Copart and attempts to fix them with varying results. This vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6xYGcnaGuA expains the fees and economics.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
8/20/16 12:07 p.m.

C5s can be easy salvage projects if you stay away from damage in a few key areas. I'm less-familiar with C6 but the same is probably true for them as they are in some ways a C5.5 car.

Avoid cars with damage to the A-pillar or cowl, the area between the back of the door frame and rear wheel arch, or in the rockers or floors. Unlike earlier generations, the rockers are the only bonded panels on the car. The floors are balsa and they worry me generally, maybe for no reason. Cowls are just a difficult fix on any car.

Otherwise, all body parts bolt on. Straightening a bent front frame horn is no biggie for a good shop. The car in the example probably has some bent rear suspension bits but your real concern is whether the differential "batwing" was cracked. It's all replaceable, at a price, and buy-in cost will tell you if it makes sense. I notice they offer an inspection service and it would be something to consider for a car you were serious about, just in case there is hidden damage.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/21/16 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Snrub: I bought my 02 Civic off of Copart, and it's definitely better to buy in person. You can easily see more of the damage, especially if they will let you jack up the car, but I doubt that's allowed. The issue with the Corvette is that it's the flagship Chevy, so body panels may be more expensive than a 370Z. That car definitely looks like it has rear suspension damage. If the chassis is straight, you will be just fine if it is significantly cheaper than a fair priced one in Gaston, SC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JkkbFSRruIuhaNwwNE7SdQZhpQ5TwpYrAtc3eoxG0RF7nRuD8ugV8zAoubEm4P6z