1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 44
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/17 9:23 p.m.

Separate them entirely in your head from the AMC.  Read it again as “i bought $40 boom tubes and traded them for some turbo stuff”

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
11/27/17 9:51 p.m.

Yep, looks like the turbo stuff is worth $40 to your new budget.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/29/17 1:05 p.m.

It's All Good At Saulgoode Racing and Joe asked a court question, 2 Years ago Wreck Racing Gave Joe an Engine. At The Challenge In front 'O God an Everybody else.   It was Free!  so a Man with some stuff Joe wants for the Mystry Machine said straight across Trade for Said Engine,  so Free is Free 'Cept when It Isn't.  SaulGoode Racing can make this Trade for Nothin' ( far as a Budget Hit) or what.  straight 6   2gze? engine,  For   Rear end parts from Toy Truck.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/17 2:00 p.m.

I was sitting next to Joe when it happened. The only reason he got it and I did not was because he was faster than me. 

That engine was free. It was openly offered to at least a dozen GRMers at once. 

I would say you could trade it for anything, but it's ultimately a staff call. 

Patrick
11/29/17 2:51 p.m.

Joe legit offered it free to me this year, and I witnessed him get it free, so I have no issues with it being no budget hit for whatever he trades it for.  

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/29/17 3:13 p.m.

Thanks for responding.   That's how I saw it also ,so I feel it's Golden.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/17 3:53 p.m.

free 2jz?

See the source image

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
11/29/17 5:32 p.m.
Patrick said:

Joe legit offered it free to me this year, and I witnessed him get it free, so I have no issues with it being no budget hit for whatever he trades it for.  

Doesn't seem to be ever part of mystery machine challenge build so I don't see how it can be incorparated into that build.  So you're saying if someone gives me a coyote engine that I never intended to be part of my c4 challenge car I can trade it for a sbc 383 and take no budget hit?  Unique situation but I think it does not comport with spirit of rules.  Just my $.02.

Patrick
11/29/17 5:38 p.m.

I have items in my spreadsheet that were given to me then traded for challenge car bits.  It’s probably a rare case but not unheard of.  The free item becomes currency to get challenge car bits.  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
11/29/17 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

So if I score a  free set of shop shelving on cl, then trade for a wire welder, then trade the welder for a tire balancing machine, then trade that for a c4 6 speed transmission I use on my challenge build it's a no budget hit.  Sorry, but I don't get it.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
11/29/17 7:36 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Still doesn't change my mind.  To that end I gave you a free crap holley carb and you try it on your Fiero challenge car and it doesn't work well and you trade free holley for an edelbrock I can understand no budget hit but the free motor was never remotely attached to mystery van build.  Do whatever but seems like a big ol rationalization to skirt rules to me.  If you can live with it no skin off my back.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
11/29/17 7:43 p.m.

Back up car related: Is a PT Cruiser a wagon? 

Prototype/test/what-have-you parts passed onto you by a manufacturer or supplier. Assuming they were offered to the public are included into the budget at their actual cost or FMV?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
11/29/17 7:43 p.m.

Free is free, go for it. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/30/17 6:47 a.m.

Jim I apologize, I was trying and Failing to be Funny.

But the engine was offered to any Challenger and Joe got it. Had I taken an Engine out of my stash with no Providence and attempted the same deal I would expect to be turned down . I am Holding myself to a higher Standard this year because Now I have been to a Challenge and under stand Much more.   I will admit to wanting more lenient  " Trades "  in the Past but no more 

All Hail The Challenge. !!!!!!!!

PS  You know I won't trade a Holley for an Edelbrock

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/30/17 6:49 a.m.

Sales tax and core charges: in the budgetor not?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/30/17 6:52 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Nope  It's a Neon.    and to me a test product is the same as a used product, where it falls money wise is scrap value or low FMV.  

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/30/17 7:01 a.m.

Tax's Vary from State to state so Interesting question, but I think it's been answered.

were you unable to get a core to trade ? If I have what you need and it's a core to me just come get it. A Core is worth more to a Rebuilder than a Scrap yard so it may fall between those numbers, and like the previous question I would say Scrap,  Just Food for Thought Ya'll

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/30/17 7:17 a.m.

I believe taxes are not included in the budget since (as GTXVette noted) they're very inconsistent between states. Of course, that's somewhat of a silly argument since a LOT is inconsistent between states (like rust...), but it's something I doubt anyone has real problems with since it's applied fairly across the board.

My understanding (and budgeting) is the core charges go in the budget- but I'll certainly not complain if the ruling is that they don't have to go in it!

And as much as I may dislike them, I would think that PT Cruisers would count as wagons... but that's just my own $0.03 (includes $0.01 core charge).

Patrick
11/30/17 7:51 a.m.

Straight from rule page on grmchallenge.com.  That’s a valuable resource gentlemen.  Bookmark it, print it for the garage wall, embrace it, read it multiple times a week, love it, cherish it.  

Shipping counts toward parts prices. Sales tax does not

no mention of core charges.  I would assume no but i’ve never dealt with that.  It’s ridiculous at pull a part that there are core charges on body panels, intake manifolds, etc.  my opinion is that it’s a separate line on the receipt like sales tax that has nothing to do with actual cost of part.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/30/17 7:54 a.m.

Cool. 

Im using the actual excel spreadsheet as i go this year to keep track of the budget. Will revise when i get home to reflect the sales tax.

Hopefully cores are exempt as well, as i agree with you Patrick 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/17 7:54 a.m.

With the "pickup trucks" we had this year, I think a PT cruiser EASILY counts as a wagon. 4 doors, hatch back, wagon. I don't like them either, they are quite ugly in my opinion, but I think that should qualify just fine to be in the wagon class. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/17 1:29 p.m.

A core charge is not a purchase. It is a deposit left with a vendor until the core is returned. 

It's not on the car, and its not even a part (or for that matter a charge at all). 

Why would it be in a budget?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/30/17 3:46 p.m.

Funny but it just dawned on me we are talking paying out , not getting money for a part.

I have to change my answer . 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
11/30/17 6:48 p.m.

Say I donate the remainder of my parts car can I use the amount I can deduct from my taxes as recoup? 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/17 6:54 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Say I donate the remainder of my parts car can I use the amount I can deduct from my taxes as recoup? 

Depends on if the new tax law passes or not.

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P6Yu0N9K0XPzztCqlPyNyojoN7q0gII8iWXMJXZyqEwEIdD8SyA26G5KkCmToHas