pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/21/19 6:51 p.m.

I put a cherry Bomb glass pack on my 300 straight six F-150. I expected an increase in the exhaust noise. It is just a bit louder than stock. Is this typical?

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
10/21/19 7:08 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

If they are the same as they were in the 60s and 70s they get louder as they age.

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/21/19 7:11 p.m.
BlindPirate said:

In reply to pilotbraden :

If they are the same as they were in the 60s and 70s they get louder as they age.

I was going to suggest OP ask the boys down at Frostop for their opinion, but this is a much better answer.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/21/19 7:12 p.m.

It's because it's on a 300-6 they are just super quiet.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
10/21/19 7:17 p.m.

Don't you want the fiberglass to blow out our something? I wonder if there is a way to make this happen quickly?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/21/19 7:28 p.m.

I used the Cherry Bomb because it is welded. The truck occasionally backfires and does this to crimped together mufflers. This was the second one since July 4th. On my test drive the heater hose burst and the distributor got soaked. The truck backfired 5-6 times without damage to the Cherry Bomb. I'm a fan.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
10/21/19 7:29 p.m.

You will want to watch this if only for entertainment, but the genius level YouTubers are filling up their hot glass packs with a water hose to blow them out.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/19 8:41 p.m.

There are a few dozen types of glasspack, too.  There are quiet ones and loud ones.

Did you get the kind where the ID stays mostly the same and it has little "cheese grater" flutes in it?  If so you can try flipping it.  With the holes facing the engine, it's quieter.  With the holes facing the tailpipe its louder.

The loudest ones are just perforated steel inside.  The quietest ones have an offset pipe inside against one side of the body.

But you may be up the creek on finding noise even with no muffler.  Those 300s have small exhaust ports and next to zero lobe overlap.  They're going to be quiet no matter what you do.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/21/19 9:30 p.m.

I'm not looking for  noise, just some longevity. This one is the Cherry Bomb brand from Auto zone. The box proclaims disturbing the peace since 1968. I'm pleasantly surprised that it is not noisy. Quiet is good for my work truck

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/21/19 9:32 p.m.

I run an advanced Auto cherry bomb on my 2.3 ranger and it's obnoxiously loud. So I'd say the 300 just isn't loud. Mines also side exit just behind the cab though.

_
_ HalfDork
10/21/19 9:34 p.m.

Dad taught me long ago that if you want a cherry bomb to get loud quick, you fill it with water and then install it, supposedly this removes the fiberglass material for all those police calls and public disturbances. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/21/19 9:40 p.m.

The 300 is not awfully loud with the exploded muffler on it. But it is not what I want to drive to jobs. And the cab stinks of exhaust with the blown up muffler.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/22/19 6:59 a.m.

If the Cherry Bomb degrades to the point where you don't like it , just pick up a Flowmaster off FB Marketplace or Cragslist. A backfire won't do anything to it.

OR, I've got four 2010 Camaro SS mufflers. One of those would work.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/19 7:56 a.m.

I second the Flowmaster.  I had a CJ5 with fenderwell headers.  I had cheap cherry bombs on it for awhile and it sounded like pig $hit.  I put the quietest Flowmasters I could find on that were still short enough.  What a huge freaking difference.  It sounds awesome.  You wouldn’t guess it’s just a stockish meek little 304 by the way it sounds.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/22/19 9:22 a.m.

Motor Trend's Engine Masters did a recent test of straight through (but not "glasspack per se"), chambered, and turbo style mufflers.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/40-muffler-shootout/0_9y8xgnob/

The bigger the muffler body, the quieter they generally are.

The Thrush Magnum glasspack is a perforated core, and was ear-splittingly loud on my 4AGE Locost. Didn't help that the tailpipe was right by my ear....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/22/19 9:25 a.m.

Really depends on the engine it's being used on. Inline 6's are pretty quiet (in the scheme of things), put it on a 4-cyl and it drones. V6 and it's obnoxious. V8 is sounds like youre in the 60's all over again. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/22/19 10:38 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Really depends on the engine it's being used on.....V6 and it's obnoxious.....

Hence the two in series on the SHO, with a third straight-thru Dynomax after them laugh

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/22/19 10:43 a.m.

Im a huge fan of glasspacks in combination with turbos.  I'm also in favor of using more glasspack before you decide glasspack is bad. There are lengths up to ~48" that are just harder to find, but they still exist and they're still cheap.  Most people could run a longer muffler than they actually do. With so little money on the line and if you have some concern about noise level, just use the longest glasspack you can actually fit. And don't use a pipe diameter that's pointlessly large for your power level. 

I think i have two 3" exhaust systems that have a total of 3 mufflers in each. With straight-through designs and cheap unit prices you can have high flow and low noise together if you try hard enough.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
10/24/19 12:10 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

I put a cherry Bomb glass pack on my 300 straight six F-150. I expected an increase in the exhaust noise. It is just a bit louder than stock. Is this typical?

My experience with glass packs is they are pretty inexpensive but quality is very hard to judge. Performance wise the straight thru design is a real plus. Unfortunately they only get louder from the first day of use. The more cubic inches the faster they deteriorate. Flow masters offer performance, controlled sound levers, quality however at a increased price.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
10/24/19 1:16 p.m.

You can always address the backfiring issue, thereby making muffler selection moot.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/24/19 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA :

The first time was my fault. I turned the ignition switch to the off position and turned it back on resulting in a blown muffler (it was indepence day and I wanted to make an earth shattering kaboom).  4 months later I filled up at a gas station and it started running very rough as I pulled on to the road then backfired. The fuel filter had water in it. The last time a hose broke and soaked the engine compartment. I am going to be putting a new cap , rotor and wires on.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/24/19 10:17 p.m.

I think you would be better off with a decent turbo muffler. The turbo muffler will most likely flow better aswell.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/24/19 10:44 p.m.

Hooker Aerochambers always seemed nice and just a bit different from a Flowmaster.

Or go crazy and get some "tuner" fart can and see how that turns out...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/25/19 6:56 a.m.

Hey, I put a Cherry Bomb on my straight six F-150 too, then increased the pipe diameter from there back by 1/2".

No change in sound......

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/19 12:59 p.m.

I put a Walker (dynomax) on an 87 Cutlass Salon with a stock 307.  No change.  Tiny cam, tiny heads.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UAdazJDA3qvgiWK23w1VzAufcUxAK9Dg4fzBgGCn5gDCe2cybQkv9jMKrFDgQ093