Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/10 9:21 p.m.

I'd like to get a sandblasting cabinet.

I already have a fairly large air compressor. I'm sure that there are better compressor choices out there, but since I already have this one, I'd like to know if it's suitable.

Here are the specs: 6hp, 30 Gallon Single Cylinder, Oil Free 135 psi max 8.6 scfm @ 40 psi 6.4 scfm @ 90 psi

Will this work or will I be disappointed?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/20/10 9:55 p.m.

Have you looked at the sandblasting cabinet websites? They generally specify the cfm and psi requirements. For instance, this one says Requires 10-15 cfm @ 80 psi. (For 7-10 cfm order low air supply nozzle setup - #6311-04.) 125 psi max. http://www.tptools.com/p/432,367_780-TL-Top-Load-Abrasive-Blast-Cabinet.html

Woody
1/20/10 10:01 p.m.

What's the difference between CFM and SCFM?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/21/10 7:57 a.m.

(courtesy of Google:)

The S stands for Standard, and means it was measured at standard temperature and pressure. The volume of liquids and gases change with temperature, so the flow rate at one temperature will be different than the flow rate at another temperature.

Blasting cabinets are a compressor-killer because of the recovery rate, so you need not only a compressor with a lot of CFM but also a decent sized tank (60 gal is a good size). A smaller compressor will work, you'll just have to work in small bursts until the compressor rebuilds pressure. Dry air is also a good idea.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/10 8:23 a.m.

I bought this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93608 a few months back. It goes on sale for $199 (then use the GRM coupon). It might be on sale now. Anyway, I added some pookie when I put it together and like it. I run it with my Craftsman 4 HP (same as a new 6 HP) compressor. They apparently changed the size of the horses in the past 20 years. I might have to wait a little bit while the compressor catches up on big jobs, but it's enough for me. Really, you can't get a big enough compressor for blast work. Well, maybe you can, but not for what we can pay. So, what you have is probably about the same as what I have and mine works OK. Draw your own conclusions there.

Now, TECH TIP that SHOULD BE IN THE MAG: Go to Wally World and buy a "closet dehumidifier." They are stocked at Supercenters, but good luck finding them as no one there has a clue what/where they are. You will find them on the bottom shelf about one isle over from the vacuum cleaners, near the moth balls. They look just like this: but the brand is different. Under $5. Put that inside the cabinet when you're not using it and it will pull all the water out of your media. It makes the media/cabinet flow so well, you won't believe it.

Woody
1/21/10 12:48 p.m.

Is that the same as the stuff in the DampRid refill packages that you can buy at Home Depot?

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
1/21/10 12:56 p.m.

Too small in my opinion. I tried to use a blaster with my old 30 gallon Sears compressor.....there was no hope. It was extremely frustrating to blast for a minute or less, then wait. I am now pretty well into bodywork and paint as a hobby, so broke down a couple of years ago and bought an Ingersoll Rand 2 stage 80 gallon compressor. I'd say that's probably the best tool purchase I ever made.

BTW if you decide to use a pressure pot blaster it will use even more air than the cabinet.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/10 12:58 p.m.

I dunno. That one pictured above has 2 compartments. The "stuff" is in the top compartment, and somehow the water collects in the bottom compartment. It's pretty cool. When it fills up with water, I'm going to run a needle into the water collection chamber and suck the water out and keep going. It's been in there a couple months now and probably has 20-30cc of water in it.

Also, on my cabinet, I plumbed an elbow on the left side, added some hose and I hook that up loosely to an old vacuum when I run it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse New Reader
1/21/10 1:22 p.m.

You can never have enough air when blasting. I bought one of those pressure pot blasters from Horrible Freight and my 30 gallon reciprocating compressor (Home Depot) runs and runs and runs and...well, you get the idea. I have a separate 30 gallon tank I've been meaning to plumb in..as it is I can blast for about 15 seconds before the compressor kicks on. When my g/f is blasting I've watched the pressure gauge on the compressor and it will stabilize at about 35 to 40 psi. And she is then bitching how the blaster isn't working!

BTW, that sand blaster is a piece of junk- always clogging, the only media I've ever found that works worth a damn is sand that I filter through a tiny tiny screen.

I'd second the rec for a two stage compressor in the 80 gallon range. And a good drier.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/21/10 5:29 p.m.

I found an older compressor tank, 60 gallon on CL and have added it to my 30 gallon sears craftsman compressor, they are daisy chained together with steel pipe. I have done a similar daisy chaining in cars when I need a compressor on the go, with a plug in compressor and 3 air pigs. So it could be a good way to increase your air volume.

Andrew

motomoron
motomoron Reader
1/21/10 8:33 p.m.

Go to the TP Tools website and read. They're ground zero for home shop blasting.

You can choose nozzle ID to work w/ your compressor, but ultimately, bigger is better and 'UGE is best.

I finally, after ages of cheap, hand-me-down oilless compressors found a like-new 5hp Speedaire US made 60 gallon 4 cylinder 2 stage a few years back. I went to way bigger nozzles and it still catches up with me.

The first time you're blasting and the compressor shuts off ~not because of a tripped breaker~ it's an awesome moment.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/22/10 5:52 p.m.

"Keep it Dry" is the right brand name. Saw them today at Wally World Store 100.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MTwHni8yQ8K8Yujwqonjv8sI7n79uqIybc7nmWGLjuAyZtNjf30LSQDIvxPNZIXx