1 2
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/1/20 3:15 p.m.

I know, I know, I have a problem.  But I feel like having a Miata in the driveway I just how things should be at this point.  I sold the NC because I didn't drive it enough for the cost tied up in it.  I'm assuming I won't drive this one much either and I had sort of thought that a $2,000-2,500 NB would scratch the itch of being a fun runabout for good weather but fully depreciated so not costing me much money.

Until yesterday.  I found a '93 in super clean condition, no significant rust, turbo, new top/clutch/flywheel/roll bar/coilovers/wheels/tires/and more.  Seller is firm and sounds like a decent guy (not a teenaged squid).  He's firm at $4,000 but honestly I can't see a decent NA getting much cheaper than that.  A turbo 1.6 should be respectable enough to stay out of it's own way but it certainly won't be a corvette.

I know I need another car like I need a hole in my head but.....miata life yo!

5/1/20 3:16 p.m.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/1/20 3:24 p.m.

That looks nice for 4K.

I'd hop on it if the vinyl can come off clean and not take the paint with it. 

_
_ Dork
5/1/20 3:32 p.m.

(Bites bottom lip like a pervert) I like that livery. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/20 3:44 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

No guarantee of that with the NA6 white...

What's the turbo setup? Suspension? Assuming it's reasonably intelligently done, that could be a really fun car. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
5/1/20 4:43 p.m.

That pic is in your driveway, right?  $4K for a turbo'd, roll barred cleanish NA seems like a steal.

I sort of like the livery too, so innanets fist bump to _.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/1/20 4:49 p.m.

Are you expecting us to stop you? You do realize where you are, right?

Keith Tanner
5/1/20 5:14 p.m.
NickD said:

And it's not even really all that questionable. It's not like he's asking us if he should buy a $30,000 Freelander.

5/1/20 5:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

No guarantee of that with the NA6 white...

What's the turbo setup? Suspension? Assuming it's reasonably intelligently done, that could be a really fun car. 

Per the seller:

It's a 1993. About 180k it has has coil overs "not sure the brand". Greddy turbo kit, hard dog roll bar. Upgraded clutch and light weight flywheel. Has good top with glass rear. 2.5 exhaust to magnaflow muffler

Sounds like I'll go tomorrow and most likely pick it up.   You're a bunch of enablers, thanks. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
5/1/20 5:25 p.m.

Yesterday, I probably wouldn't have even weighed in.  My "baby" had been sitting in storage for SIX MONTHS because Michigan weather and/or 2020 pretty much suck.  Unfortunately for your wallet, I got my 03 out today and took it for a 50 mile "Italian Tune Up".  Everyone who loves cars and owns at least one car should have a Miata.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/1/20 5:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
NickD said:

And it's not even really all that questionable. It's not like he's asking us if he should buy a $30,000 Freelander.

Yeah. "Should I buy this clean, reasonably-priced Miata that just happens to be turbocharged?" What the hell do you think we're going to say?

Keith Tanner
5/1/20 5:57 p.m.

Expect to replace the random stancey coilovers with something reasonable, and that GReddy kit could have all sorts of engine management. They came with two different turbo sizes too, IIRC. Reasonable and unreasonably big :)

But it's a heck of a solid start and you know what you're getting into!

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
5/1/20 7:31 p.m.

Looks amazing especially for $4k.  I put a GReddy turbo on my 90 years ago so I can learn forced induction cheaply - 15 years later, it's still going.  

Keep us posted.  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
5/1/20 7:49 p.m.

That looks REALLY nice for 4K.

Fixed it for you.

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/1/20 11:15 p.m.

I didn't even know Danny was selling his Miata. He's a good dude. I've only sat in this one, but it seemed decently well-done when I saw it last summer. The graphics are as... loud... as they look in photos, but the car is always clean and he seemed to have fun with it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/2/20 11:47 a.m.

Hahahaha! DO IT!

That's a heck of a deal on what seems like a good condition car. 

So the question is, did you go pick it up today!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/2/20 5:50 p.m.

does anyone else see those headlights look like eyeballs? I like that decals, they look pretty neat breaking up all that white.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
5/3/20 2:39 a.m.

I've bought parts from this guy before and talked to him for a while about this car. He was a great guy and the car seemed well done. The only thing I could see being an issue is that the livery is done in paint rather than vinyl. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/20 10:08 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

Sounds like I'll go tomorrow and most likely pick it up.   You're a bunch of enablers, thanks. 

And? We're waiting, y'know .

5/3/20 2:27 p.m.

made the hour and a half drive home with zero problems.  It does boosty boi things nicely!

The AC isn't charged and the rear end is a somewhat noisy VLSD and the axles are suspiciously clanky.  I see a 3.6 or 3.9 torsen swap in its future.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/3/20 2:58 p.m.

Maybe, like, you know drive this one?

Or I'll buy it from you in a year, lol.

5/4/20 8:05 a.m.

So day 1 with the Miata.  I ordered a set of competition motor mounts from Kieth and Co because I suspect a lot of the "looseness" in the driveline is a bad drivers' side mount (turbo car that's 27 years old, safe bet).  It has a really inconsistent clutch disengagement, again the proven weak spot there is the slave cylinder.  At under $20 I'll order one of those as well. 

It came with Takata harnesses and stock seats.  I'll keep an eye out for actual seatbelts and better seats.  

The windows are tinted but the tint is trash so that needs to get stripped.

The tires rub in the front so I'll do an actual fender rolling soon.  Maybe raise the front 1/2".

Speaking of tires, Federal RS-RR..... louder than super swamper mud tires!  Holy hell these are monstrous things.  I'll keep an eye out for a more reasonable set.

The brakes are very mediocre, the seller said it had Duralast pads on it.  They work but aren't exactly confidence inspiring.

The radio sucks.  Buddy of mine always has something laying around his shop, I'll get him to throw in literally anything...it'll be better (not that you can hear the radio over the tires, did I mention they make a bit of noise?)

Speedo cable squeaks, I think I'll take it to my buddies shop for that one.

AC service, same.

Keith Tanner
5/4/20 10:29 a.m.

Take a good look at the wear on the rear tires, just to make sure you don't have unusual wear causing that noise.

Since you are a serial Miata owner, you probably know this - but grease the slider pins on the calipers when you swap the pads. That can make a big difference to brake feel. But first, go bed those pads. That can sometimes wake up a set that isn't doing much, and it's a quick thing to try.

Post some engine bay pics! I'm curious about how engine management is handled. $10 says we're going to see an aux fuel pressure regulator in there.

5/4/20 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

5/4/20 4:28 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H5hvikANLTPyS5dH5JHggK2e2U0dtS6813SEOMpzunj9HBDu8I6FBzFOhml8vPP8