1 2
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/4/20 4:36 p.m.

intercooler.  I assume Hypespeed is top of the line stuff from Ebay.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 4:39 p.m.

Woo! FPR! I get my $10!

I don't know how turbo-savvy you are, but feel free to hit me up with any questions. IIRC the GReddy kit was not intercooled so the addition of the HYPESPEED!!! intercooler is good.

FYI, I suggest you put a filter on that blow-off valve. They do open up at idle and cruise, which means you're sucking in unfiltered air at that point.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 4:52 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

I've had RS-RRs for track use and as you said, they're pretty noisy tires. They're rather good for the price, though.

5/4/20 5:29 p.m.

Oooooh, coilovers.

Racelands!!  So sexy, I know you want some of this.

5/4/20 5:31 p.m.

Rotors look good enough.

Konig wheels in a 15x9". Decent enough.

5/4/20 11:01 p.m.

Spare turbo.

Spare intercooler.  Might make it's way over the the Fiero.

Spare filters, hardliners, couplings, etc.  A whole box o' stuff.

Spare slave cylinder.  Probably should have looked in the big box o' stuff before ordering one today.  Sigh, first world problems.

Keith Tanner
5/5/20 8:50 a.m.

That spare intercooler looks like a Bell Engineering unit. He made a GReddy IC kit for a while. Usually it would have bad powdercoat, though.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 9:49 a.m.

Might as well start collecting S2000, MR2, Sky and other mid-engine and/or roadsters since you seem to be going full Pokemon on the Miata :)

5/6/20 9:13 p.m.

Took today off.  Tackled a few things.

oil change.

trans fluid change

diff fluid change

slave cylinder

bled the brakes

replaced the motor mounts (drivers' side was partly separated)

put 15x7" Kosei wheel with round and black chinesium tires on (the Federals were worn choppy, knew they would be)

So solidly productive.  I have suspicions about the rear wheel bearings, they seem to be noisy when reversing.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/20 5:55 p.m.

That intercooler looks like a stock Starion intercooler to me and those are actually pretty decent.  Ford turbo 2.3 guys used to pay precious money for them in decent shape. 

And at $4k I think that was a dang good buy.   I doubt you'd find a cleaner one with more to it for that. 

5/7/20 7:12 p.m.

So what kind of hp do we think a 1.6 puts out when force fed 16 psi of boost?  Above 5,000 rpm if feels stupid strong and the gauge shows a steady 16 from 5,000 to redline.

Keith Tanner
5/7/20 7:58 p.m.

I don't think I want to know.

If that car doesn't have an upgraded fuel pump yet, it will want one. And we used to consider an FPR a good option for around 8 psi. I'd recommend some real engine management if you want to keep playing with those boost levels. Remember that an NA Miata has no knock sensing and you'll be in open loop with no real airflow measurement because your AFM is pinned open, you're running on wishes and hope at the moment.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
5/7/20 9:14 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Just for a baseline, my GReddy 1.6 with FM 2.5 exhaust and a Racing Miata 2.5 downpipe, intercooler and FMU put down 149 rwhp 15 years ago at the wastgate regulated 5psi.  Sooooo you at 16psi - low 200s???? 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/20 9:32 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

So what kind of hp do we think a 1.6 puts out when force fed 16 psi of boost?  Above 5,000 rpm if feels stupid strong and the gauge shows a steady 16 from 5,000 to redline.

Mine was really fun at 14 psi, right until it wasn't.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bF7tcGl2Lh9AK9Px1hBsZnQsx4o1bWuBjHWcbNryb1H5foDrbhuBMjkz0a1b391y