1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/24/18 10:23 a.m.

Sorry but when you can get a hellcat around 43-44K in a 2016. Sorry had to post the freedom boner. This is the answer, especially with the upgraded leather package it is a wonderful cruiser. You can use the black key in the snow. 

Image result for hellcat charger 2016

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/24/18 10:29 a.m.

My daughter loved her 2016 charger, AWD fancy six cylinder model with cold weather package.  Now she has a swanky Alfa Stelvio, she missed the Charger.

She put 55k on it in two years with absolutely now problems.

I'm a fan of RWD and snow tires, Nokian's or Bridgestone are my favorites.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
7/24/18 10:49 a.m.

Glad to see that most here don't think I am crazy for wanting the Charger more. I was on the fence, but one 20 minute test drive completely sold me. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/24/18 1:05 p.m.
Storz said:

Glad to see that most here don't think I am crazy for wanting the Charger more. I was on the fence, but one 20 minute test drive completely sold me. 

So your getting a hellcat then. Because we are all a bunch of enablers. 

8valve
8valve Reader
7/24/18 1:19 p.m.

I vote used Charger.. or new if you have to.  I also cross shop stuff that makes no sense to cross shop.  Every time.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/24/18 1:42 p.m.

Oh yeah my daughter works for FCA as a financial analysts, I can't even say that word.  Shall I check on what the friends and family price is on a particular option package?  

I'm in GR, she lives in Detroit, where in Mi are you?

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/24/18 1:56 p.m.
Stanger2000 said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

I think the Charger is going on it's 10th year of basically the same platform now.  While I generally hesitate to recommend any Chrysler product, I would think/hope they've got the bugs somewhat worked out of the Charger by now.  

I can't think of any German car I'd recommend...to anyone.

The Chrysler LX chassis was derived from MB, I believe the E class.  So there is some German there.

Having driven derivatives of them (300/Charger/Challener) in the past, I'm a fan.  They handle better than they ought to considering the size/weight.  Plus a HEMI coupled with say some Corsa mufflers will put a E36 M3 eatin' grin on anyone's face.

There was a good point made on autoline on YouTube which they said there isant the big leaps anymore that you would get back in the day for performance handling etc by coming out with new platforms nowadays. Plus the fact this platform is already paid for just means profits for Chrysler.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
7/24/18 2:07 p.m.

I was cross shopping used lotus elise, used porsche cayman and new charger r/t 35k budget back in 2011, I bought the charger. It was a very nice car, nothing wrong with it, however I couldn't stop thinking I could have had a porsche for the same $. 

Even if it is nonsensical, it never leaves your brain.

I vote p-car, because I already went the wrong way once.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/18 2:26 p.m.

Why not an SRT8 GC or Cayenne turbo? 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/24/18 6:47 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

...you can get a hellcat around 43-44K

You sure about that? 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/25/18 4:24 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Autotrader's showing multiple Challenger hellcats around $45-47k, and Chargers in the $47-50k neighborhood. I bet you could probably find a few for less than that with private party sales. If dealers are selling them in the mid 40s, you know they're offering less than that for trade-ins so some private parties might be offering something more than trade-in, but less than dealer sale price.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/25/18 8:24 a.m.

Dodge makes a fun exercise of "what if" on the used market, as you can start at a Charger R/T Road and Track for around $23k, but for a few $k more you could get the Daytona, but if you're doing that you aren't that far from a Scat Pack, but if you are doing that why not just jump further and get a Hellcat. Decisions, decisions lol.

Edit: and I totally forgot the SRT 392 in there as well

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/18 12:05 p.m.

As far as I know, the Macan shares its chassis with the Audi Q5; and the smaller engine (2.0T) is shared with the VW Tiguan. So, that kind of slots the Macan into the category of “parts bin engineered” for me. Hard to get very enthusiastic about it.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/25/18 12:56 p.m.

Having owned an 'actual porsche' i.e. 911 and then owning a Cayenne after that, I definitely don't write off shared-platform SUVs as not Porsche-enough. I also owned an LX and can confirm that the handling is better than you would guess. 

Oh also, i've owned a 911 and a Cayenne and i STILL want another Dodge Magnum "in spite of that". I don't second guess anyone else who loves them both. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/25/18 8:03 p.m.

Can someone explain to me the Charger hiearchy? Is it R/T then SRT, then Hellcat? Where is the Scat pack placed?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/18 8:13 p.m.

Watch out for wicked depreciation on both. Find an 18 month old one and enjoy. 

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/26/18 9:15 a.m.
CyberEric said:

Can someone explain to me the Charger hiearchy? Is it R/T then SRT, then Hellcat? Where is the Scat pack placed?

From slowest to fastest:

R/T

R/T Road and Track (R/T R/T? Weird, I know)

Daytona (this may just be appearance related)

Scat Pack

SRT 392 

Hellcat

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/26/18 9:23 a.m.

We had a Macan as a loaner for several weeks while the dealer fixed out cayenne diesel.  It's a decent little crossover but the emphasis is on "little".  Not going to fit very much stuff/people into it.  Handled fairly well, typical Porsche interior, which is nice.  Wouldn't replace our cayenne diesel with one tho.

When I bought the cayenne diesel I drove it back to back with a touareg tdi.  Same powertrain, same chassis.  Cayenne drove SO much better than the touareg tdi.  Handled better and had better transmission programming.

Never driven a charger but I've driven a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and that motor/tranny is a gem.

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
7/26/18 9:29 a.m.
CyberEric said:

The SE and SXT are 300 hp V6 cars, with different trim levels.

Step up to the small 375 hp V8 gets you an R/T, with different trim levels

Step up to the 485 hp V8 and you're looking at (from most basic interior and suspension to most goodies) either a Scat Pack, a Daytona, or an SRT392

Step up to the 707 hp supercharged V8 and you're driving a hellcat.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/26/18 10:15 a.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

Autotrader's showing multiple Challenger hellcats around $45-47k, and Chargers in the $47-50k neighborhood. I bet you could probably find a few for less than that with private party sales. If dealers are selling them in the mid 40s, you know they're offering less than that for trade-ins so some private parties might be offering something more than trade-in, but less than dealer sale price.

They are out there. I helped someone buy a 2016 sublime manual fir 26K miles 2016 for 42.5K Good condition, new tires and had the fancy leather. Got to go PP but they are out there and they are cheap. 

Not to add confusion but you can get a Gen III viper about the same price point you are looking. 

DirtyDiesel
DirtyDiesel New Reader
8/2/18 2:41 p.m.
Storz said:

Which one is quieter on the inside and soaks up pot holes better? I'd been considering both as well.  

Storz
Storz SuperDork
8/7/18 8:11 a.m.
yupididit said:

Why not an SRT8 GC or Cayenne turbo? 

$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJKTESLvgXEN1Q6CRG6xMdRSCEdWVRkiCxUo43KEK7mOLrVL5hqzXNxGqWmNdK0F