jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Dork
3/17/10 9:56 a.m.

Are they interchangable? If they are, do I have to use the bell housing specific to the engine being used or is that interchangable?

What is the Best of the Best D-Series manual transmission.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/17/10 9:59 a.m.

Is this for the CRX? If so, you can use a transmission from any other 1G CRX or 3G Civic but the transmissions from the newer cars won't bolt up. IIRC first gens aren't actually d-series motors but rather EW.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Dork
3/17/10 10:02 a.m.

It's for my 87 that has a D16A1 swap.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
3/17/10 10:10 a.m.

In that case you will need to stick to an 86-89 Integra transmission. Other d series transmissions will bolt to the motor, but not into the chassis. I have a spare from an 87 teg with a cracked case but good intervals if yours has a problem, for the price of shipping and a 6 pack.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Dork
3/17/10 10:16 a.m.

There's actually nothing wrong with mine. I had someone offer to buy it for about 4 times what a pullapart trans costs and I was wondering if I could sell the one I have and replace it with any junk yard D-series trans.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
3/19/10 6:49 a.m.

pre-88 is oddball stuff.

88-91 bolt in place of each other (not integra though, diff. mounts) 88s have different input shaft spline count. 89-91 are same. all models interchange with each other.

92-00 all dimensionally idential. 96+ has steel shifter forks, and dont break as easy.

chaparral
chaparral New Reader
3/19/10 7:17 a.m.

The best one is sitting in my garage. Make me an offer.

It has a JDM ZC gearset for 1 to 4, and a Civic DX .702 fifth. It has the 3.880 FD so you get the second-tallest fifth available (Civic VX is taller) with the shortest first to fourth.

Clutches are very very wierd. The '88s came with a 8" that had a certain number of splines, the '89s came with an 8" that had a different number of splines, the 90-91's came with an 8 3/8" that had the same spline pattern as the '89s. JDMs were different from USDM almost every year. You can also get a conversion kit clutch for the 8 3/8" clutch and the '88 spline pattern.

I have a working setup (8 3/8" conversion kit clutch) and a new Fidanza flywheel for it as well.

Please note that there are two different sizes for the final drive output - there's the little Civic one and the bigger Integra/B one. The Integra/B will require an intermediate shaft and getting the right one is a bear depending on which engine you have. I also have the right stuff for sale (Integra left axle, Accord right axle, ZC intermediate shaft). If you have an engine that is not a ZC the '86-89 Integra intermediate shaft will be what you want.

I am away from the hi-po D-series stuff after two consecutive bad JDM ZCs. The first one closed a freeway and the second had no compression on arrival. YMMV with these engines but don't buy from the criminals in Montreal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BxoXyioywr9HYaObVMmK7deMe8gkZKqNUKCPPWlpf9oIOknYdE7Yj87oQ1bMWxTb