1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/09 10:47 p.m.

Okay, a few photos before bed. And sorry, but these are on Flickr, too. We'll get them on the site for real on Monday.

Stopping for gas somewhere between Chicago and Holland, Mich.

The Porsche is sweet, but Carl Heideman's XKE is the cat's meow. (I know, a horrible pun.)

And here we are visiting The Tire Rack. What an amazing facility.

gubby
gubby New Reader
6/12/09 10:49 p.m.

Shhhhh....whatever you do.....do not let joedapro see this......

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/13/09 12:55 a.m.

David you should have come down to Indy. I would have bought you a beer..

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/13/09 1:05 a.m.

That is a sweet ride! About one of the only cars I'd ever think about getting if I ever sold the benz. I don't know anything about the cars other than the carrera has a bigger sounding engine than the 911sc.

That is a hell of a car and a great color, good luck with the beast!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/09 5:23 a.m.

How many miles on it?

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/13/09 8:50 a.m.

Who's jealous?

This guy.

Nice ride, I've always loved that body style 911.

David S. Wallens
6/13/09 9:13 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: David you should have come down to Indy. I would have bought you a beer..

Thanks for the offer, but yesterday was my day to make up a bunch of miles. I stopped at Hoosier, too, and didn't get out of there until 4:00. My plan was to be Nashville this morning, and I'm less than an hour away.

And the Carrera is close to the SC. The SC has a 3.0-liter engine with Bosch CIS injection. This generation of the Carrera has a 3.2 with Bosch DME. The only real visual clues are the Carrera's fog lights. The Carrera eventually got a CHMSL, too. Short answer, the cars are really close.

wannabewrench
wannabewrench New Reader
6/13/09 11:42 a.m.

What sort of article will you be working on that involves the 911 now that you own one? I'm starting to like how they look. Those expensive VWs are growing on me like a wart.

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
6/13/09 12:04 p.m.

Sweet. Let's get some air cooled tech articles in the mag soon!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/13/09 12:11 p.m.

sex

M030
M030 Reader
6/13/09 12:19 p.m.
wannabewrench wrote: Those expensive VWs are growing on me like a wart.

Better get some penicillin!

Just kidding - I love those "expensive VWs"

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
6/13/09 2:25 p.m.

There is another thread banging around here that asks "what's so good about 911s?"...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-dont-get-it-whats-so-good-about-911s/10958/page1/

Well, this answers at least part of the question. They are just flat out sexy!! One of the all time greats IMO.

Please include many more details. I have always wanted one.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/13/09 4:06 p.m.

Looks rather nice and IMHO one of the best colours (my '89 is sporting a similar hue). Are these 16" Fuchs that I see there on the car?

Winston
Winston New Reader
6/13/09 6:36 p.m.

Very nice, David. Can't wait to see/hear more, and to hear what the magazine has in store. If these articles go into Classic Motorsports, I may just have to subscribe to CM also ;) (Probably should anyway.)

This is very appropriate timing for me too (may bank account would say inappropriate), since I've been drooling heavily over '84-'89 Carreras for the past week or so. It may finally be time for me to pull the trigger on one, too. Fullfill that boyhood dream, y'know. I'm usually a coupe guy when it comes to 911's, but I've been eyeing the cabriolets lately... so maybe I should hold off until the fall when the prices do the same.

docwyte
docwyte New Reader
6/13/09 6:49 p.m.

Soooo jealous!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/09 6:54 p.m.

wow, that's a beautiful car. congratulations, David!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
6/13/09 9:51 p.m.

We need more pics!!! Why are you torturing us??

David S. Wallens
6/13/09 11:20 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: We need more pics!!! Why are you torturing us??

Honestly, so far that's about all I shot. Since picking up the car I have been on the go, go, go. I left Chicago late on Wednesday and now I'm in Atlanta. I spent about a day up in Michigan and then had stops in Indiana and Tennessee. Whew. Believe me, I want to take some time to just look at it.

I have been recording my mileage, too. So far I have only done the math for one fill-up, but it was 25 mpg. Not bad.

And yes, 16-inch Fuchs.

One more pic. This is from yesterday's dinner stop somewhere in Kentucky.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/13/09 11:55 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The right connections always prevail
vazbmw wrote: So I am expecting an article or two on how to purchase such a nice car. I assume the mechanicals are just as nice as the exterior.
Hint: Buy it from one of your writers. CMS Auction Editor Andy Reid was the seller, and Andy is certainly a guy that knows how to shop. It's an '84, and everythign I've been hearing from the road home is that David's really happy with it. He shoul dbe back on Monday, and I'd expect a full set of pix shortly thereafter. jg
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
6/14/09 2:59 a.m.

There were many comments in the other thread, "what's so great about 911s," that 911s are slow. Of course, covering 1965 to 2009 is a broad statement. But since you have one, I hope GRM tests and publishes your 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, etc.

Good luck with the ride!

David

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/09 5:47 a.m.

Show of hands -- since David's post, who's taken the time to complete an autotrader search for nearby 911s?

Looks like I need about 25 grand CDN to bring home a nice Carrera with a G50. Of course, the US dollar and CDN dollar are approaching parity, so maybe I should be looking at a road trip.

minimac
minimac Dork
6/14/09 7:25 a.m.

Shortly after getting mine, we took a trip from upstate N.Y. to Tenn. I didn't have the radio on the whole trip! Maybe Mr. Wallens can explain the driving experience much better than I did. Nice looking ride. For tires, we went with the Kumho Ectsa ASX. Reasonable price, decent performance and nice riding. So far I'm really pleased with them and they look right with the Fuchs wheels.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/14/09 10:33 a.m.

Hey Dave, want to give me your Innocenti Cooper now? I'm sure it's pretty sad and lonely now that you have the Porsche...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
6/14/09 11:53 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: Hey Dave, want to give me your Innocenti Cooper now? I'm sure it's pretty sad and lonely now that you have the Porsche...

Those are two seriously cool cars. You will have a permanent smile now.

gerlando
gerlando
6/14/09 10:49 p.m.

I can't wait to see some articles on the 911. I picked up an 87 Coupe just a couple months ago because I've always wondered "what's so good about 911s", now I get it :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9IFwlY2W38uMt7D3LetGauYJzSM0SDGbEI6FNVdle2TWJOXRy3fQBaFf2G0kRNo1