Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/14/11 4:29 p.m.

Ok I don't have any deep thoughts but I would like yours.

The time has come for the Miata to be elevated to project car where it will live a pampered life. Now I need a DD for crappy weather days. Being cheap or as my wife says "value minded" I want to spend a few grand for a smallish SUV. I have been looking at the Rodeo and I have been trying to find proof that they turds. So far I haven't found that to be true. I know the pre 93 had a GM V6 which I have read that motor sucks and it is great.....not sure what I learned from reading that long post on the Isuzu forum:-)

So please correct me if I am wrong about the Rodeo/Passport/Amigo or suggest a different smallish SUV.

Thank you all for your time and input! Rick

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/11 4:46 p.m.

I always liked the Amigo.. so I am watching this thread

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
6/14/11 5:56 p.m.

I like them alright. But They're so thirsty you may as well get something bigger.

maybe instead consider a m1009. They don't depreciate, they get good mileage, and they qualify as a zav with less work than the isuzu.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/14/11 6:17 p.m.

I owned a 1994 Rodeo 2WD and worked at an Isuzu dealer for 5 years. I also had a 1991 Amigo XS 4x4.

First: The Amigos through 1995 were all 4 bangers, underpowered and got bad mileage. The second gen 1998-2004 were much more comfortable and got better mileage, even with the V6. Do NOT consider a 4 banger second gen Rodeo or Amigo, that Holden motor is crap. All 1998-2004 Amigos can be considered lumped in with the Rodeo info below.

Rodeos from 1991 to early 1993 had the 3.1 GM V6 and were underpowered. The Isuzu SOHC 3.2 V6 came out in 1993 and was a vast improvement. That engine was used with minor changes until 1998, when the DOHC 3.2 replaced it. All from 1991-1997 were available with the 2.6 4 banger, same as the Amigo. It's tough but underpowered and was not available with an automatic, or at least I never saw one with a slushbox. 1993 3.2's were known for oil leaks, 1994 and up were pretty oil tight. 1995 1/2 saw the introduction of the black 'Honda dash' as we called it and had OBDII. That continued to the end of 1997. 94-97 are going to be the ones at the low end of the price scale.

Overall, they are pretty tough vehicles and will tow 5000 pounds with an automatic. Their Achilles heel is indifferent maintenance (lack of oil changes) which causes the rocker shafts to wear, making for a pretty nasty clatter. If you go look at one, first pop the oil fill cap off and look inside the valve cover. If it's gold or even a very pale reddish color inside the valve cover, chances are you are OK. If it's dark red or black, that's a sign of poor maintenance; keep looking.

The transmissions are GM 4L30's, they are actually pretty tough. I saw very few (to the point of vanishingly small) transmission complaints. The axles were made by Showa and I never saw a busted one. In fact, I saw only 1 Showa axle with a problem the whole time I was there: a broken spider gear pin in a Trooper. But, they do like to sing to themselves.

The 94-97 V6's all had 4 wheel disc, 4 bangers had disc/drum. You will hear they break wheel studs very easily. That's because the torque spec is 65 foot pounds, overtorquing pinches the lug nut in and the stud breaks off the next time you try to remove it.

98-up had the 3.2 DOHC V6. I saw a few very early 98's crack heads. Otherwise, they were pretty tough. 2WD versions had disc/drum, 4WD had 4 wheel disc brakes. Isuzu dropped the Showa rear axle in favor of a Dana unit, I saw several of those develop bearing problems.

Towards the end of 2002, there was a running design change on the 4L30 transmission and a servo cover could pop out, causing the transmission to empty itself very quickly. Those have probably all been fixed by now. In 2003, Isuzu went to the Aisin Warner transmission (same as the so called Toyota transmission in the little Cherokees) and that was used till the end of production.

The wiper delay module on the 98-up trucks could puke, meaning the wipers had no delay or intermittent function and would not park. The module is at the top of the right kick panel and is light brown in color, easily replaced.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
6/14/11 6:28 p.m.

Didn't the late ones have direct injection before Isuzu stopped selling passenger vehicles in the US?

-C

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/14/11 6:38 p.m.

Yes, the last of the 2004's had direct injection. Those are not very common. In fact, if you are considering a Rodeo you'd do good to look at an Axiom. About the same size and a much higher level of interior trim, basically a Rodeo frame, Trooper drivetrain and its own body. Nice truck.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/14/11 7:09 p.m.

belteshazzar Thank you for the suggestion of the m1009. I do live a ways out from the city bout our roads aren't that bad:-)

Curmudgeon, You Sir are a vast well of Isuzu knowledge! Thank you so much for your input! My intent for this SUV is a DD so no off roading or really driving in the snow. If have a F350 for the snow:-) Which year would you say is the best for mileage and reliability?

Thank you all again! Rick

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/14/11 9:06 p.m.

I lean toward the 1994/early 1995 for all around reliability in the couple of thousand range, they are simpler. They are easily recognized by the instrument 'pod' for the speedo and tach that sits on top of the dash.

Early dash:

Later dash:

The earlier cars also came with 4 wheel disc in the 2wd versions which is my personal preference. If your budget will stretch to the later models, I'd go 2000-2002. The later ones were loaded with GM mandated electronic gizmos which I didn't have a whole heap of experience with, so I can't speak to their reliability.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/14/11 9:15 p.m.

I would love to find a 2wd but in the NW we get three days of snow a year so everybody has to have a 4wd. Kinda fun because most people stay home when it snows.....

Anyway did the 4wd have manual hubs or auto hubs? Thank you so much!.

I think I am going to check this out tomorrow, http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/2435057258.html

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/15/11 8:02 a.m.

The front hubs were automatic. There were aftermarket kits to change them over to manual, not because they were trouble prone (they weren't) but you could decouple the front CV shafts for a little better gas mileage. That's a pretty nice looking Passport. I have those same wheels on my Trooper.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled New Reader
6/15/11 5:40 p.m.

For that kinda money you could get a 4Runner around the same year, mine has been bullet proof so far, 233xxx and still chugging. Cant go wrong with a Honda though.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
6/15/11 6:29 p.m.

A Honda that is really an Isuzu though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/11 6:38 p.m.

what was the name of the hondified Isuzu?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/15/11 6:49 p.m.

Rodeo = Passport, Trooper = Acura SLX. Odyssey = Isuzu Oasis.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/15/11 7:34 p.m.

Curmudgen How easy are the post 93 OD1 Rodeos to work on? I am not a great in the garage but I have pulled the engine out of the Miata and changed the clutch. And it ran we it was back together

Uncoiled 4Runners seem to be more expensive in the NW than a Rodeo. I also haven't seen proof that they are better. I have an 88 Ranger with a 2.9 with over 230K on it. Would you say my Ranger is as good as the 4Runner?

Thank you both for your time and input. Rick

Uncoiled
Uncoiled New Reader
6/15/11 7:43 p.m.

I don't have any experience with a rodeo or a ranger, just throwing out another idea, they can be pricey, but I think around here(Southeast) you could get a 95 4Runner for around 4 or 5k.That ranger sounds awesome, how much work have you put into it? Its probably better then my 4runner...

Even though its a Isuzu with Honda on it, it had to have been pretty good for Honda to have wanted to put their name on it.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
6/15/11 8:12 p.m.

Uncoiled, Thank you for your thoughts. I haven't done much to the Ranger but I think if a car is taken care of it last for a very long time. In fact my Miata has almost 250K.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
6/16/11 8:51 p.m.
The transmissions are GM 4L30's, they are actually pretty tough. I saw very few (to the point of vanishingly small) transmission complaints.

Paging Curtis73...

I can tell you from personal experience that it is a pita to r&r a 4wd 4l30 isuzu. This might not matter if it never breaks, but the problem there is that i think it WILL break..

The only Rodeo ive had was a 2.8/5spd (gm tbi motor). I had no use for it so i sold it for triple what i paid, but i actually really liked it! If i had a use for such a thing id try to buy one exactly like it. I liked the 2.8. I personally didnt feel it was severely underpowered with the 5spd, and i really liked the simplicity of it. Its one of those cars that is super easy to work on and motor parts are cheap.

On the plus side, if you DO feel a 2.8 is underpowered you can bolt in a bigger version of it.. they made them up to 3.9L.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/11 9:14 p.m.

My cousin's ex-wife bought an early Honda Passport, just before they got divorced. She was a total slut.

That's all I know about them.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/16/11 9:15 p.m.

(knock on wood) The Trooper's 4L30 is perkin' along just fine at 170K. If I had to say one other good thing about Rodeos, they actually handle pretty well. No, not autocross or track day well, but they feel solid and planted in just about any sort of daily driving maneuver. If you drive one back to back with a Grand Cherokee (or even a little Cherokee), the difference is immediately noticeable.

The OBD I cars are easy to work on, no double jointed widget thingies required. Don't get me wrong, the OBD II cars aren't bad (my Trooper is OBD II for instance), it just adds a layer of complexity which may or may not worry you. Bonus points: the engine sensors etc on both are all commonly available GM Delco/Delphi stuff.

About Amigos for a minute: I prefer the styling and simplicity of the early (89-94) Amigo but it was never available with anything other than the 2.3 or 2.6 four banger. My XS had 31x10.50-15 tires, big Bosch driving lights on a roof bar, a front brush guard, tube bumpers etc and therefore looked like it could take a bite out of your ass. In reality it wouldn't get out of its own way. Too bad, because otherwise I really liked it. I understand that a 3.2 V6 swap is not very easy, either. The later ones (98-2003) are a bit more gussied up but are MUCH more powerful. With the short wheelbase, I wouldn't want to tow a car though.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
11/16/16 12:30 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: (knock on wood) The Trooper's 4L30 is perkin' along just fine at 170K. If I had to say one other good thing about Rodeos, they actually handle pretty well. No, not autocross or track day well, but they feel solid and planted in just about any sort of daily driving maneuver. If you drive one back to back with a Grand Cherokee (or even a little Cherokee), the difference is immediately noticeable. The OBD I cars are easy to work on, no double jointed widget thingies required. Don't get me wrong, the OBD II cars aren't bad (my Trooper is OBD II for instance), it just adds a layer of complexity which may or may not worry you. Bonus points: the engine sensors etc on both are all commonly available GM Delco/Delphi stuff. About Amigos for a minute: I prefer the styling and simplicity of the early (89-94) Amigo but it was never available with anything other than the 2.3 or 2.6 four banger. My XS had 31x10.50-15 tires, big Bosch driving lights on a roof bar, a front brush guard, tube bumpers etc and therefore looked like it could take a bite out of your ass. In reality it wouldn't get out of its own way. Too bad, because otherwise I really liked it. I understand that a 3.2 V6 swap is not very easy, either. The later ones (98-2003) are a bit more gussied up but are MUCH more powerful. With the short wheelbase, I wouldn't want to tow a car though.

I miss this guy

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/16/16 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Jeff:

Yup. :(

java230
java230 Dork
11/16/16 12:35 p.m.

My wife had one when we were first married, the Rodeo Sport, 01 IIRC. the 3.2V6, good power in that small of a car, it liked to swap ends quickly with the short wheel base.

Drove that thing for a long time with no real issues. Drove from Seattle to texas and back at one point. Good stuff. She would but that car back in a heart beat.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
11/16/16 2:06 p.m.

My parents have a 99 2wd v6/auto. It survived being my first vehicle and it has survived with my brother so far. I like driving it and never had any major issues with it.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
11/16/16 3:14 p.m.

I love how you can bump a 5 year old thread on this forum and people will go right along answering op's question without even skipping a beat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJEi3boz6HHAe7ynVwrgCPRclRQmQ3dh7b0ezmrsFPX39SREbtuXyAiqtxR2T15t