1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/6/15 9:18 a.m.

The coolest Bentley I've ever seen

The site doesn't seem to want me to hotlink. How much will this thing go for? How the hell do I make a $2015 version? I would DD this thing, were I in possession of all the money.

EDIT: Here we are-

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
2/6/15 9:27 a.m.

Most cars of that era do nothing for me. But that is spectacular.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/15 9:29 a.m.

Oh my...that's going to go for 8 digits, easily.

I like the spare spark plug holder in the engine bay, there's an idea worth stealing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/6/15 9:32 a.m.

There looks to be a redundant coil in there too. Everything about it is perfect, although I wouldn't want to use those channel locks if I could avoid it.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
2/6/15 9:38 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: How the hell do I make a $2015 version?

A cheap donor car or truck, a welder, a bunch of steel, and a load determination.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/6/15 9:50 a.m.

Looks like some E36 M3 1930s Batman would drive.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/6/15 9:53 a.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Well, the owner of the original was loaded like a 1930s Bruce Wayne.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/6/15 9:56 a.m.

Considering how those things were built back in the day, I wouldn't say this is non-Grassroots.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/6/15 9:58 a.m.

Very cool. It would be fun to build a replica like that. I'm not so sure about the 8-figure price estimate considering it's a replica and not an original 30's Bentley, but well into 6 figures is likely. The spare spark plug holder is common on brass-era cars.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/6/15 10:00 a.m.

It's a recreation, so you just have to fire up the welder and get a donor truck of some sort and mimic the pictures. Easy-peasy.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/15 10:06 a.m.

Sounds like JoeyM's Datsun Phaeton is going to have some competition soon...

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
2/6/15 10:13 a.m.

I want to see someone driving that in anger.

CD

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
2/6/15 11:03 a.m.

Won't sell for 8 digits. If you read the description it's a re-creation. A reproduction. Essentially, a really nice British hot rod. It will be desirable, but to be 8 figure desirable it has to be something that can't be just re-created (like a war-era open-top Mercedes or a Ferrari or GT40 with race provenance). I estimate it will go for $600000-$800000. That's about the ceiling for a custom car because for that money, you can pretty much build anything you want yourself.

sleeper
sleeper
2/6/15 1:16 p.m.

Go here for more info. They build neat stuff.

http://vintageracinggreen.com/

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
2/6/15 3:30 p.m.
cdowd wrote: I want to see someone driving that Drunk in anger. CD

Fixed that for you

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/6/15 3:51 p.m.

In reply to LuxInterior:

You rang?

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/6/15 6:32 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Very cool. It would be fun to build a replica like that. I'm not so sure about the 8-figure price estimate considering it's a replica and not an original 30's Bentley, but well into 6 figures is likely. The spare spark plug holder is common on brass-era cars.

I've been a fan of the Gurney Nutting coupe since Octane did an article on the original a few years ago and Robert Coucher reenacted the race against the train, although I can't remember what he drove in the reenactment. Great styling, but a bit large. Concerning Ian's comment, wouldn't it be a great concept for a scaled down version based on a Model A Tudor sedan with cycle fenders, fastback roofline, small block V8 and updated suspension?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/6/15 6:49 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: The coolest Bentley I've ever seen The site doesn't seem to want me to hotlink. How much will this thing go for? How the hell do I make a $2015 version? I would DD this thing, were I in possession of all the money. EDIT: Here we are-

Well, RM is just down the road for me if you want me to checkit out for ya

As to making your own? Hell, it was handmade in the first place, so should not require more than an English wheel and a torch to recreate this.

Will
Will SuperDork
2/6/15 7:02 p.m.
kanaric wrote: Looks like some E36 M3 1930s Batman would drive.

I always figured he'd drive the Phantom Corsair.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/6/15 9:51 p.m.

My very similar thread just seems vulgar by comparison.

I think you win.

I didn't realize how much they'd borrowed for the styling of the later car.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/6/15 9:52 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: Most cars of that era do nothing for me. But that is spectacular.

Yeah, I don't care for pre-war stuff, but when the Art Deco influences start creeping in, they get more interesting to me. That Bentley is pretty steampunk.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/15 10:10 p.m.

Article one the inspiration: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/stunning-bentley-blue-train-celebrates-85th-anniversary-paris-000024256.html

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/26/15 7:26 p.m.

OK, this is a monumental coincidence. I was at the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance this past Sunday and the original effen Bentley Blue Train Special was there! Let me say that it's an unbelievable vehicle when you see it in person. It had the British tags "RF 2358," which I suspect was the same registration that was assigned to the car when Woolf Bernato raced the Blue Train back in 1931. The car is owned by Stephanie and Orin Smith from Vero Beach, FL, and it won the "Grand Marshall Award, Top Tier Class" presented by Wayne Carini, who happened to be the Grand Marshall of the event. I was fortunate to be standing at the awards presentation when the car drove up and Wayne presented it. As a car guy, that's one of those special moments that will stay with me forever. I do have pics of this car and will try to get them posted. But it looks just like the reproduction ... or vice versa.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/26/15 7:42 p.m.

Uh, note to the management ... Vero Beach ... might there possibly be a feature story here for CM?

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/27/15 7:03 a.m.

Needs a blower comme ça.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eG2xtQTCosBzP77jwUQkAuNlp1H6FpiAyQ6PYToFOwrQXQJv6Ltg2rYbd2aWSUcZ