JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/28/12 10:26 a.m.

The company I work for is selling a Taylor-Dunn cargo carrier, closed bid. Rear axle/diff/motor is present, but not installed. No rear wheels.

Looks like this, but with a windshield and top over the seat (no doors):

I DON'T need it, and can't think of anything I could do with it to justify bidding, but I'm plagued with ideas of motorcycle powerplant swaps...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/28/12 10:28 a.m.

With a motorcycle powerplant, you'll sit still and dig holes into the ground.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
9/28/12 10:30 a.m.

These go for high prices on eBay.......how much?

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/28/12 10:32 a.m.

and ya gotta start a build thread after you win the bid

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/28/12 10:40 a.m.

Hmm... so the real question is "what can I use as an excuse for needing to dig holes?"

Sealed bid, haven't the foggiest what it'll go for. I think my max is in the $300-400 range.

If I win it, I'll have to post a build thread on how to convert a non-running golf cart into a residence, as I will no longer be welcome in the house.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
9/28/12 11:46 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Sealed bid, haven't the foggiest what it'll go for. I think my max is in the $300-400 range.

back before ebay and craigslist I would do sealed bids on the municipal vehicles my town or school district would be getting rid of.

One time I won and had to cough up $2,000 for a Chevrolet 4x4 tool box back pickup truck. I then washed it and flipped it on Autotrader for $3,000. I sold it too cheaply based upon the first guy to see it that bought it and the other 125 dudes that kept calling my house.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/28/12 12:08 p.m.

I'll just leave this hurr...

http://youtu.be/5A9Hh9DeAkA

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/28/12 12:11 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: With a motorcycle powerplant, you'll sit still and dig holes into the ground.

You act as though this is somehow a bad thing.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/12 12:15 p.m.

Step 1. Put 1000cc motorcycle engine under the seats.
Step 2. Add titanium plates under the front crash bar.
Step 3. Do EPIC stoppies!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/12 12:17 p.m.

Those things are a ton of fun in Grand Theft Auto

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/28/12 12:36 p.m.

I did have a 750 Honda engine sitting around for a while...

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/28/12 1:18 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
9/28/12 1:24 p.m.

Is it challenge legal?

Seating position makes it easy to see where the cones are.

mw
mw Dork
9/28/12 1:30 p.m.

If you do end up with it, I'll gladly rent it from you for a week every September for solo nationals. Especially if it has sport bike power.

devina
devina New Reader
9/28/12 2:26 p.m.

Does it have batteries with it??

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/28/12 2:30 p.m.

Yeah, there's 5 or 6 batteries in it. Not sure if they're to be included in the sale or not, but probably not.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
9/28/12 2:59 p.m.

Some of those used ford 9 inch rears and had some STEEP gears like 5.90 range!

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
9/28/12 5:14 p.m.

Yank the drivetrain out the Impala with the LS and rig it up behind the seats and I assure you that your life will be changed after a quick run.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/12 6:04 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Yank the drivetrain out the Impala with the LS and rig it up behind the seats and I assure you that your life will be changed after a quick run.

yes.. he will be dead

I am not BoostedBrian
I am not BoostedBrian Dork
9/28/12 6:53 p.m.

Place I used to work at had one nearly identical to the one you posted, only no knob on the wheel. We took it over some bumps, got bouncing, got airborne, laughed our asses off and then whrrrrrrrrrr

Dead. Fearing for my job, I called out to a friend on a fork lift he got a tow strap and went after it, only as soon as it left the concrete (this was a just-built warehouse) the thing sinks to the rockers in dirt. We have to get another forklift to get the rescue forklift out. Out of sheer happenstance I hop on the cushman and it moves and all is well. I think a battery cable was knocked loose. Some fun stuff happens on night shift.

Thank you for letting me re-live that.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/29/12 8:36 p.m.

Its got the Ford axle.

I really don't think I can swing this and keep a happy home; if somebody wants me to bid on this for them, let me know this week.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
9/29/12 9:53 p.m.

I think a small to medium displacement shaft drive atv engine would be great in one of these things if it could be connected to the input shaft of the gearbox.

The biggest expence in keeping one of these things around is the batteries. They use 6v deep cycle batteries that cost $80 to $100 (or more) bucks each and have 4, 6, or 8 of them depending on the model. The batteries last at best 5 years, and in most circumstances need to be replaced as a set. My personal experience with Taylor/Dunns is that thier drive motors are not particularly robust, they don't hold up well to hooning, but the gear box and drive axels are tough.

They don't handle as well as regular golf carts because they're really not golf carts, they are industrial vehicles called burden carriers made for pulling or carrying stuff in warehouses and factories and they are built to survive things that would break a golf cart into pieces. They also weigh about twice as much as a comparable golf cart. Its also worth mentioning that many T/D carts have tiny hydraulic disk brakes at all 4 corners, and they work pretty well, as long as they are kept clean and dry. When used outside and exposed to road salt the brake parts corrode in the blink of an eye and start dragging.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MUEfAfBjvgZyMx8UokkQiD4wtt6RMo7ENo9tzRKcwI4m78nANvhVh3AB77XOTjMB