drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 10:58 a.m.

5 hours from home, in a remote area. 

The bottom bolt is missing from my NB Miata slave cylinder. All of the fluid leaked out. I seem to have the slave lined back up and just need a screw to put in there. Is there anything on the car that is easily accessible that I can substitute in? 

I have the 5x line so bleeding should be easier than usual, but will I need to bench bleed the master? 

I can drive it about 10 minutes to a general  store if I start it in gear if I have to go that route, what size bolt and thread should I be looking for? 

oh and I have an adjustable wrench to work with, unless I go to the general store!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/23 11:07 a.m.
drsmooth said:

5 hours from home, in a remote area. 

The bottom bolt is missing from my NB Miata slave cylinder. All of the fluid leaked out. I seem to have the slave lined back up and just need a screw to put in there. Is there anything on the car that is easily accessible that I can substitute in? 

I have the 5x line so bleeding should be easier than usual, but will I need to bench bleed the master? 

I can drive it about 10 minutes to a general  store if I start it in gear if I have to go that route, what size bolt and thread should I be looking for? 

oh and I have an adjustable wrench to work with, unless I go to the general store!

I believe the bolt is an M8x1.25 pitch?  I think (I could be mis-remembering) that the intake brace that's totally unneccessary uses those same bolts?

Where are you at?  On The Road assist list may help you here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/AssistList/

Losing the bottom bolt shouldn't have made the fluid leak out unless the piston pushed out.   It may not work after reassembly due to rust on the side edges of the cylinder ripping the piston seal, so I'd take a close look at that, or you might be barking up the wrong tree anyway.

I've driven home a few hours without clutch hydraulics before, you have to time your shifts but it's doable :)  If you zip tie the clutch switch so it thinks the clutch is engaged, the starter will be able to start the car on a flat.  Something like this: https://flyinmiata.com/products/clutch-switch-override-1990-2005

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/15/23 11:15 a.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

I think it's an M8x20mm bolt from what I can find on line. No idea where there is another one to borrow.

Edit: Check one of the bolts holding the seats to the floor. Don't be surprised if it's too long though.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 11:28 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Unfortunately the piston did push out, fingers crossed the seal isn't damaged. I will have a look at the assist list when I get closer to civilization, the map won't load for me with the cell service here being poor but I am about an hour north on Kingston Ontario.

I will try that bolt to see if it works! 

WonkoTheSane
5/15/23 11:29 a.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

Where are you at?  I'll load the list and get you contact info for people locally.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 11:30 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Thanks for the tip! Even if it's too long it should at least keep it from pivoting on the top bolt!

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 11:33 a.m.

Closest town to me is  Sharbot lake about an hour North of Kingston Ontario. 

Edit ** follow hwy 38 North from Kingston**

WonkoTheSane
5/15/23 11:44 a.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

Looks like BMWGeoff (now known as P5Racer) is ~an hour from there, depending on exactly where you are and where he lives?  Might be worth reaching out if you're really stuck.  He's in Petersborough it looks like.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 11:59 a.m.

Thanks for checking for me! I am at the store now. I will be going through Peterborough on the way home so I may reach out to him! 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/15/23 12:10 p.m.
drsmooth said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Thanks for the tip! Even if it's too long it should at least keep it from pivoting on the top bolt!

It may be an M10 bolt. I'll go look over my NB for a candidate bolt.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/23 12:12 p.m.

We've got a customer in Killaloe that might be willing to help. I know he was musing about opening a repair shop. 

Should be quite a few bolts that are compatible on the car, look for a 12mm head. Intake brace, maybe. Shock tower brace if you have one. Seat, maybe. Radiator bracket? Or hardware store :)

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 1:38 p.m.

Thanks for the help everyone! I was able to find a temporary substitute at the general store, and bought some tools there to help with the job. The staff at the store lent me a jack and jack stand. 

It isn't perfect but I am on my way and so far the clutch is working, fingers crossed! 

WonkoTheSane
5/15/23 1:45 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

Yay!

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/15/23 6:08 p.m.

To finish the tale, I made it home just now and things held together! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uZ3kN5muoCNQUrL58aVkmnf8xwz5lMssygI6STgTzicWbvbfBEg5ak7NT5oD3Uze