1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/12/13 1:48 p.m.

I'm seriously wealthy. I choose to mess around with cheap Korean jobs and old Corvettes for fun. This work gig? I just show up to waste time.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/12/13 1:48 p.m.

Isn't the duPont Reg. a magazine for nouveau riche (or not quite so riche) dingbats that need to be hand-held through the process of showing off? I see that thing on the periodical stand of my local bookstore and wonder how many multi-millionaires are stopping in to pick it up for some new tips on gem-encrusted cell phone cases or trips to Estonia to meet a few 'working girls'.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/12/13 1:50 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Isn't the duPont Reg. a magazine for nouveau riche (or not quite so riche) dingbats that need to be hand-held through the process of showing off? I see that thing on the periodical stand of my local bookstore and wonder how many multi-millionaires are stopping in to pick it up for some new tips on gem-encrusted cell phone cases or trips to Estonia to meet a few 'working girls'.

I subscribed to it when I was dirt poor just to look at the cars. Some crazy stuff shows up in there.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/12/13 2:37 p.m.

My girlfriend thought I'd appreciate the high-end cars for sale. I'm mostly scanning the ads for race car furniture and carbon fiber money clips.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/12/13 2:48 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'm seriously wealthy. I choose to mess around with cheap Korean jobs and every POS I can drag home for fun. This work gig? I just show up to waste time.

Fixed That For ME

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/12/13 4:03 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Isn't the duPont Reg. a magazine for nouveau riche (or not quite so riche) dingbats that need to be hand-held through the process of showing off? I see that thing on the periodical stand of my local bookstore and wonder how many multi-millionaires are stopping in to pick it up for some new tips on gem-encrusted cell phone cases or trips to Estonia to meet a few 'working girls'.

It is now, in the past not so much.

I live in the world of the 1%'r I sell to them and eat with them. They are just as varied as everybody else. Most are normal down to earth people but they do have some odd hobbies that only big cash gets you into. They do go a little nuts though sometimes when they find something that they really like.

I have a client with two 100% identical Bentley's so that he can always have a clean one/ or the other is in the shop. Dude wears old jeans and a t-shirt to work most days. I have one that daily drivers a FF and did have a 599, but still carries his wallet in a fanny pack and wears flip flops. Both are extremely nice people and do not flaunt what they have, but the value people who know what they are and treat them normally.

But it breaks down like this, the poor for the most part look for quantity of a item, the middle class seek quality, and the wealthy look for the unique. Does not matter what it is, food, travel, cars as a whole this is the rule.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
2/12/13 6:38 p.m.

I am reading a lot of generalization in the comments here. Rich people are people too. It's like saying that every poor person is a meth head redneck who lives in a trailer park. Money is just a possession. It does not define you as a person.

A lot of people think that all their problems could be resolved with money, and it's just not the case. Usually, when these people get rich, they will be very sad and confused to realize that their problems are still there. Or that they have been replaced by different problems.

/rant

viking
viking New Reader
2/12/13 9:09 p.m.

The use of money is to buy options-------no money, no options----

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/12/13 9:28 p.m.

So where does Jay Leno fit in to all this?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/13 6:14 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Yep, one-upmanship seems to be what drives these people. It's fine if that's what they want. Me, I could care less what the Joneses think of me.

i had a talk with the joneses the other day. they think you're a curmudgeon.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/13/13 6:43 a.m.

Money just makes the problems more costly and usually they affect more people.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/13/13 7:04 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Yep, one-upmanship seems to be what drives these people. It's fine if that's what they want. Me, I could care less what the Joneses think of me.
i had a talk with the joneses the other day. they think you're a curmudgeon.

If the bastards would stay the hell off my grass I'd be nicer to them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LFMQadZgEzcWY8vUvDdSEJWqkTGk6tkVpDwzBG4L4ZBrSVogsy7EAxJbmbME7r2n