1 2 3 ... 5
Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/21/14 2:24 p.m.

makes you think of

But seriously...

http://www.eliomotors.com/?gclid=CL_gyp2F3rwCFSYOOgodP1oAWQ

3 wheeled car they are hoping to build in Louisiana for $6,800 a pop. Production starting this year (believe it when I sees it)

They make some interesting claims and who knows if its really going to pan out. (how many automotive startups really survive?)

I wonder how long it will take for someone on here to put a hayabusa in one.

Might be able to get some pictures of one next week if anyone is really interested.

What are peoples thoughts on these?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/21/14 2:27 p.m.

Anyone else think it looks like an rx8 and a mazda3 had a love child and it came out anorexic?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/14 2:28 p.m.

Have they gone out of business yet, or are they going to wait a little while before they go out of business?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/21/14 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I'm guessing-

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/21/14 2:44 p.m.

The way I kinda see it happening is they start production running on all the greenie weenie startup capital, fail to meet production/sales goals, and then tank and leave no support whatsoever. Bright side of that is that us nutbars could then swoop in and buy them for pennies on the dollar, pop in a 'busa, strip them down and make stupid fun little three wheel racers out of them.

Basically, a much cheaper and less toxic version of what happened to Fiskar. (see also what Bob Lutz is doing to leftover Fiskars with LS motors)

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/21/14 2:45 p.m.

Boy, that sure is a defeatist attitude.

(But probably realistic as well.)

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/21/14 2:48 p.m.

Also looks a bit like a Guild Navigator.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/14 2:49 p.m.

Hey guys have you seen the new Ken Block video?

I remember the last time this came up, I stopped being optimistic about Elio after reading their dealership plans which were hyper-optimistic enough to make a North Korean raise an eyebrow. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but now I'd say it's going to be vaporware forever.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/21/14 2:53 p.m.

True, but name one successful automotive startup. (verdict is still out on Tesla, they havent really shown actual profits. Just strong accountant-fu with lots of smoke and mirrors)

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a MUCH better idea than expensive complicated electric cars. Buttload greener, especially if they are durable enough to last well past 100k miles. (consider battery tech production impacts).

I just have yet to really see the marketing chops to make it successful, plus their engineering stuff isnt really knocking my socks off. It does just look like a bunch of hot air looking for startup money right now and it has nowhere near the pull or momentum that Fiskar or Tesla had in order to get the initial thrust into happening. That said, thats my opnion on very limited facts. Who knows? Might be great if it works out.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/21/14 2:59 p.m.

Well, as I alluded, I will have the chance to see one of their prototypes next week. Will try to take some pics. Yeah, the apparrently have actual prototypes now, not that you would notice from their website/facebook/etc.

They are REALLY going to need some good PR people if they want to get anywhere at all.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/21/14 3:02 p.m.

http://youtu.be/ZFAb_iEK2Pk

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
2/21/14 3:12 p.m.
Woody wrote: Have they gone out of business yet, or are they going to wait a little while before they go out of business?

Haha.

I want them to do well, but the sad reality is Woody's post is accurate :(

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/14 3:13 p.m.

I was expecting this guy:

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
2/21/14 3:57 p.m.

The Elio has come up on the board several times, a few pretty long threads. My take on it...I'm waiting with baited breath to see if they make it. If they do, I'm highly interested. Very highly interested.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/21/14 4:30 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: The Elio has come up on the board several times, a few pretty long threads. My take on it...I'm waiting with baited breath to see if they make it. If they do, I'm highly interested. Very highly interested.

^^This.
I don't expect them to be around for long, but it's a car. I can fix it.
What is the last automotive start-up in the U.S. that's still here? Chrysler?

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
2/21/14 4:41 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I was expecting this guy:

So was I, but I suspect the latter will suffer a similar fate.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/21/14 7:23 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Klayfish wrote: The Elio has come up on the board several times, a few pretty long threads. My take on it...I'm waiting with baited breath to see if they make it. If they do, I'm highly interested. Very highly interested.
^^This. I don't expect them to be around for long, but it's a car. I can fix it. What is the last automotive start-up in the U.S. that's still here? Chrysler?

Wait, Chrysler still exists??

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/14 8:18 p.m.

Saleen is officially considered an OEM so they would be the last one but they are just over glorified modifiers.

Good luck to them but is there really a question that this car answers? I can't think of one.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/21/14 8:46 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Saleen is officially considered an OEM so they would be the last one but they are just over glorified modifiers.

So what exactly is this a modified version of?

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
2/21/14 9:01 p.m.

No matter how justified the engineering reasons are to go with three wheels, I just cannot see it becoming a commercial success. People can't get around feeling silly in one - period. No matter how good the marketing, it's a bridge too far.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/21/14 9:09 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
^^This. I don't expect them to be around for long, but it's a car. I can fix it. What is the last automotive start-up in the U.S. that's still here? Chrysler?

I'm another one in this camp. Right now I'm leaning toward vaporware, although they've at least produced some functional prototypes. But if it comes to market at the quoted price point and fuel economy numbers expect me to be posting all about my new Elio. I'd rock the crap outta that thing on my daily 140 miles of commuting. And if they go under and I kill it, its 'busa time.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/14 10:40 p.m.

Looks better than most of 3 wheelers I've seen. Still no interest in buying. can't help but wonder what it would look like with 4 wheels. The rears set out and exposed like the fronts. With rear or Awd.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/22/14 8:43 a.m.

And it's out of Louisiana? Lessee:

So, me an' Boudreaux an' Thibideaux was out gator huntin' and we thought, hey, les' build us a 3 wheel car and sell it to yankees. We'll get us a bunch o' money from da stock market and make a few, then go bankrupt like the rest o' dem car companies and then go down to the bar (which never closes) and an' have us some beer.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/14 9:04 a.m.

Elieaux?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/14 9:37 a.m.

I applaud them for their ingenuity, but they need to understand that they are marketing a product to a sub-set of a niche market withing a minority. Selling a working prototype to Ed Begley Jr. isn't going to pay your suppliers or feed your kids.

Americans, a whole, don't give a crap about cars. We (GRM'ers) are not normal.

And we are cheapskates.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MyFPDtp7yYcdZFga0Lzwza3M8CtGlqkjheoJJ6Wr7FHkVJKrnX6NDgbjqGItX9mH