1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 60
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/8/11 10:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Damn that first one is killer!

I kinda disagree, as it pertains to this contest. It s a little too ZOMFG...speed racer style. I understand its a conceptual drawing, and those are almost always watered waaaay down when they go into production. I guess Im just hoping the new design ends up VERY minimalist and subdued. A no frills, racecar killing, unassuming roadster thats all about bringing a gun disguised as a knife to a knifefight. I appreciate the talent it takes to draw something like that, and I even agree,its a cool looking concept. Its just not a car Id ever want to own, regardless of its capability as a racer. Like I said, my dream cars are Datsun 510s, AE86s, 914/6s, Lotus 7s, Cortinas, TE 72s and 60s skylines. Clean, straight, and minimalist designs with straight lines and a purposeful design. Thats where Id like to see this new cars shape headed.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/8/11 10:07 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
Javelin wrote: Damn that first one is killer!
I kinda disagree, as it pertains to this contest. It s a little too ZOMFG...speed racer style. I understand its a conceptual drawing, and those are almost always watered waaaay down when they go into production. I guess Im just hoping the new design ends up VERY minimalist and subdued. A no frills, racecar killing, unassuming roadster thats all about bringing a gun disguised as a knife to a knifefight. I appreciate the talent it takes to draw something like that, and I even agree,its a cool looking concept. Its just not a car Id ever want to own, regardless of its capability as a racer. Like I said, my dream cars are Datsun 510s, AE86s, 914/6s, Lotus 7s, Cortinas, TE 72s and 60s skylines. Clean, straight, and minimalist designs with straight lines and a purposeful design. Thats where Id like to see this new cars shape headed.

I agree with you, way over the top for my tastes. I'd never buy one. One that looked like Stavros' though, I would definitely start saving for.

armstrom
armstrom New Reader
3/8/11 10:08 a.m.
Justen wrote: Do you mean the GTM?

Oops :) yes, my bad

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
3/8/11 10:11 a.m.

Stavros, I like the 2nd one you posted. It makes me think of a mid-engined FD Rx-7. I also like the Carrera GT inspired one.

Weekly winner, looks like it came from the Speed Racer set to me. Not a big fan of that one, but it is still light years beyond my pencil drawings here on my desk.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
3/8/11 10:11 a.m.

Is the driver going to be sitting on top of the fuel tank maybe? Trying to understand why he is so high up from the floor. It's as though he is sitting in the donor vehicle still.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/11 10:14 a.m.

Maybe y'all will like mine then. This is my first submission:

It uses the Bugeye headlights and Euro-spec C5 Corvette taillights.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/8/11 10:19 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Maybe y'all will like mine then. This is my first submission: It uses the Bugeye headlights and Euro-spec C5 Corvette taillights.

I really do, all except for the rear end. I don't like the mesh there, personally, but it's your car, not mine!

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/8/11 10:20 a.m.

Forgive a stupid question, but where is the iso template some of you guys are using? I downloaded all of the templates shown, but don't see the iso version.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/11 10:38 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Javelin wrote: Maybe y'all will like mine then. This is my first submission: It uses the Bugeye headlights and Euro-spec C5 Corvette taillights.
I really do, all except for the rear end. I don't like the mesh there, personally, but it's your car, not mine!

I was figuring that part could be molded solid and it would be up to the builder if they want to cut out vents, louvers, or mesh it. I tried to make a design that was "clean" with no scoops, so it would probably need the heat evacuation.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/8/11 10:57 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
I was figuring that part could be molded solid and it would be up to the builder if they want to cut out vents, louvers, or mesh it. I tried to make a design that was "clean" with no scoops, so it would probably need the heat evacuation.

Good points. Not sure what I would do there...

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
3/8/11 11:37 a.m.

I don't know if this needs to be incorporated, but I just remembered that there are bumper height requirements for cars...

I just read that it needs a bumper at 22" off the ground, but I certainly could be wrong.

surfacemonkey
surfacemonkey New Reader
3/8/11 12:06 p.m.

I sincerely hope they won't pick a smooth design sketch that is entirely out of proportion or not easily moulded, and then "squish" it & cut it to make it work around the body-clamshell+frame+wheels constraints afterword. That's exactly the reason why most non-historical kit cars go unpurchased. The Pontiac Aztec looked amazing on paper.

It's also important to keep in mind this car represents CHEAP RADNESS. Trying to give a swoopy luxury body to a Subaru powered race car is unwise. It simply won't translate.

The wheelbase and height guarantee the final result will be a "stubby" car. Any attempt to make it into a swoopy Ferrari for $15k will fail miserably.

If this contest does not result in a Group B rally car, it will have been a travesty to all mankind.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/8/11 12:24 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

All the entries will be reviewed for final judging. Just because you did/didn't win a weekly entry doesn't affect your standing in the final round.

The first week had a small sample pool, but the winner had a novel, well-presented concept. Future weekly winners may or may not look anything like it.

And now I'm putting my phone down to eat a taco. Yum!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/11 12:48 p.m.

+1 on everything Savros is doing - great work!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/8/11 12:48 p.m.
surfacemonkey wrote: I sincerely hope they won't pick a smooth design sketch that is entirely out of proportion or not easily moulded, and then "squish" it & cut it to make it work around the body-clamshell+frame+wheels constraints afterword. That's exactly the reason why most non-historical kit cars go unpurchased. The Pontiac Aztec looked amazing on paper. It's also important to keep in mind this car represents CHEAP RADNESS. Trying to give a swoopy luxury body to a Subaru powered race car is unwise. It simply won't translate. The wheelbase and height guarantee the final result will be a "stubby" car. Any attempt to make it into a swoopy Ferrari for $15k will fail miserably. If this contest does not result in a Group B rally car, it will have been a travesty to all mankind.

I couldn't agree more!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/8/11 12:49 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: And now I'm putting my phone down to eat a taco. Yum!

add some green Tabasco sauce...you wont be disappointed!

D2W
D2W
3/8/11 1:38 p.m.

Tom do we only get to see the weekly winner or can we see a sampling of the weekly submissions? Overall I think this weeks winner is a bit hard and edgy for my tastes but I do like some of the design elements. The headlight treatment is good. It would be easy to produce that design with projector lamps. Profile is nice, like the scoops, like the rear cowl. DP

xabier
xabier New Reader
3/8/11 2:00 p.m.

This is one of the many sketches I have done, in this one I tryed to use the original lamps of the donor car (2006 Subaru Impreza I think..) this way the cost to build it is reduced as this part is reused on the kit car. Hope you like it! and tell me if you have any suggestions. I may also upload some of the other sketches i have done...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/8/11 2:03 p.m.
xabier wrote: This is one of the many sketches I have done, in this one I tryed to use the original lamps of the donor car (2006 Subaru Impreza I think..) this way the cost to build it is reduced as this part is reused on the kit car. Hope you like it! and tell me if you have any suggestions. I may also upload some of the other sketches i have done...

Those lights look WAY nicer on yours than they ever did on the Subaru.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/8/11 2:04 p.m.
xabier wrote: This is one of the many sketches I have done, in this one I tryed to use the original lamps of the donor car (2006 Subaru Impreza I think..) this way the cost to build it is reduced as this part is reused on the kit car. Hope you like it! and tell me if you have any suggestions. I may also upload some of the other sketches i have done...

WANT!

WANT! times infinity if also could be had in non-speedster form, real roof please!

D2W
D2W New Reader
3/8/11 2:09 p.m.

Xabier, I like the sketch, very lotus like. The idea of reusing the Subaru lights is good except they kept changing them every couple of years. So if you didn't have the right year of donor you have to search for lights.

xabier
xabier New Reader
3/8/11 2:24 p.m.

In reply to 05xtsy:

And on this second post? is it ok? How do other people attach an image?

05xtsy
05xtsy New Reader
3/8/11 2:28 p.m.

I would recomed just attaching a link, it seems as though you have a coroflot account. I would just copy and paste the link. You can also use photobucket.com, flikr or many other photo hosting sites. I use photobucket and it works really well.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/8/11 2:30 p.m.

The URL in the second post works, but not for an image link. Flickr has some tricky link habits depending on how your privacy settings/copyright information for your albums are set. (I prefer photobucket, but that's just me.)

Once you have a solid URL for the hosted image, just click the camera looking icon
v ^ and put the URL in the space provided.

05xtsy
05xtsy New Reader
3/8/11 2:32 p.m.

I

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8n3XshDhd0CEfadxfBADuWP5UxGxEFI5bS5uXYTQfhZVNm4fvd8xJCoBSHLo2nON