1 2
Hal
Hal Dork
8/5/13 2:19 p.m.

I think I saw one of these going down the street in front of the house today. When I saw the front of it I immediately thought Fiat 500 but when it went past I wasn't so sure. The fact that it had 4 doors and was almost the size of a Subaru Forester had me puzzled for a while till I looked it up. It's about twice the size of a regular 500.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/5/13 2:20 p.m.

It's hideous. I've seen several.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/5/13 2:23 p.m.

Saw a few in Italy. Odd cars.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/5/13 2:24 p.m.

i think i like em. i'd buy the wife one in 15 years.

Powar
Powar Dork
8/5/13 2:27 p.m.

My fiancée and I test drove one when they got them in at the local dealership. The 1.4T/6-speed manual combo feels adequate, and the interior configuration rocks. Seating position and controls all felt nice. She's decided that she wants one within the next couple of years, and I can't say that I disagree.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/5/13 2:42 p.m.

My $0.02? Since Fiat did the same thing 50-60 years ago, that is they took the 500 and added 2 more doors after making it a bit longer, and called the resulting car the 600...I think they should have had the "guts" to avoid MINI's example of naming all their products the MINI XXXXX(whatever) and call the new car the Fiat 600. Like MINI, Fiat even has a CUV version of this new bodystyle, I forget the name of it, but saw a short story on Motorweek about this newer car. They did say the newer car / the 4 door does have an honest 3 passenger backseat.

I'm not all that crazy about the commercial they are running for this car either. It's yet another example of "....the British are coming..." that's also being used by a phone company.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/5/13 2:47 p.m.

I haven't seen one of these yet.

Thankfully.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/5/13 3:28 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: I haven't seen one of these yet. Thankfully.

I have several

Unfortunatly.

The original 600 worked, this just looks aweful.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
8/5/13 3:38 p.m.

Quite appalling, to be sure, but then it's not the first time Fiat has offended the eyes:

motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
8/5/13 4:21 p.m.

Made in Serbia and may bring to mind another car made`in Serbia. A recent review. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/automobiles/autoreviews/problem-child-of-a-shotgun-union.html?ref=autoreviews&_r=0

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
8/5/13 4:34 p.m.
integraguy wrote: My $0.02? Since Fiat did the same thing 50-60 years ago, that is they took the 500 and added 2 more doors after making it a bit longer, and called the resulting car the 600.

Not one part of that statement is correct.

It is like saying porsche added two doors to the 356 and called it a 911

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
8/5/13 4:49 p.m.

I like them. My wife and I don't fit in a 500, so we are going to go look at a 500L. I like the Countryman, but the 500L is more affordable.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/13 4:50 p.m.

Ive put 13k on mine. I really like it.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/500l/63591/page1/

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
8/5/13 4:53 p.m.

The C-D-pillar window design is brutally awful. It reminds me of the equally awful MINI Cooper Coupe. I think they were designed by the same guy.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
8/5/13 4:54 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: Quite appalling, to be sure, but then it's not the first time Fiat has offended the eyes:

This just looks like they made a Pope-mobile out of a Dodge Neon.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
8/5/13 4:58 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
02Pilot wrote: Quite appalling, to be sure, but then it's not the first time Fiat has offended the eyes:

Every time this car is posted, I can't help but think it should've been amphibious.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
8/5/13 5:30 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote:
EvanR wrote:
Every time this car is posted, I can't help but think it should've been amphibious.

You mean it isn't? Then what's their excuse?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
8/5/13 8:18 p.m.

FIAT Multipla concept drawing

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/5/13 11:04 p.m.

How is this any better/worse than a Mazda 5?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/6/13 8:31 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: How is this any better/worse than a Mazda 5?

Put them next to each other in person, and that question is easily answered.

Easily one of the most hideous cars made in recent history.

We saw one when grocery shopping last week, and it's the first car that made "What in the berkeley is THAT?" explode forcefully and involuntarily from SWMBO's mouth.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/6/13 8:53 a.m.

Makes the MINI Countryman look good. And that takes some mighty effort in ugliness.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/13 9:33 a.m.

You guys are making me self consious. Should I kill mine with fire?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/6/13 9:35 a.m.

[Rodney Dangerfield] Oh, uhh, it looks good on you, though! [/Rodney Dangerfield]

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/6/13 10:15 a.m.
EvanR wrote: The C-D-pillar window design is brutally awful. It reminds me of the equally awful MINI Cooper Coupe. I think they were designed by the same guy.

I like the Cooper Coupe.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/6/13 11:54 a.m.

Except for the "what he said" mentality that's soo prevalent on this board, I don't see what's wrong with the 500L. It's not a great looking car in my book, but it's better than the 5, the car soo loved by many here (but owned by soo few).

I mean, what's up with that buck-toothed Acura-come-smiley-face grill? The Fiat is a more harmonious design in my book. The 5 is way over styled with creases and bulges in odd places just for the sake of creases and bulges.

We've been wanting European cars here for a long time, hoping Alfa and Fiat would return. Then when they do, they bring us a turbocharged engine that's bolted to a manual trans, then wrap it with a roomy car, and set that on a chassis that's kinda fun to drive and we say the D-pillar is goofy? Yes, styling is subjective, but this is just the typical internet ramblings here. People jumped up and down and whined for a smaller than 1/2-ton truck with a diesel, saying that they'd buy three of them if there were one available. When the time comes, the shifter is odd, or it only has a auto trans......

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gro3or2wdclNKJ34d9Z1FTxoHhr3xK1rZjfjA0xxYYmryqrgOOXB9ZfmietfLhFe