SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
6/30/18 8:59 p.m.

So I'm moving back to BC this week and I need to get a new DD. I'm looking to get something comfortable, moderately fast and with heated seats. I don't drive stick and will be mostly commuting anyway. With a budget of max 6000 CAD I've come up with some decent options and though I'd ask the hive for any suggestions or warnings to stay away.

E46 Touring wagon with bilsteins and receipts for regular maintenance - anything in particular I should be looking for as red flags>

X5 - many around in nice shape but worried about reliability

Early 2000s G35 - lots of them around and well below my budget cap, heard mostly good things about them

Acura TL - a nicer Acord, what's not to like?

GTI- some nice ones around but the reputation of the 4th gen has me worried

Assorted early 2000s subaru wagons - any major things to look for besides head gakets?

I am going to be in a condo with underground parking, which is great for keeping the snow off but also means no wrenching at home. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/30/18 10:38 p.m.

Out of those things i'd pick the G35. I want to like the X5 and e46 touring options more but they kind of fall down on the 'fast' criteria. On the other hand, if you find a 4.8is X5 for your budget, definitely buy that! cheeky

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/18 11:09 p.m.

What will your commute be?

spandak
spandak Reader
7/1/18 1:26 a.m.

If wrenching is out and you don’t want to pay someone else to do it I would avoid the BMWs. The G35 would probably suit you well

SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
7/1/18 2:30 a.m.

In reply to Rons :

No very far, maybe 30 min each way but almost all stop and go traffic. Think highway with traffic lights every two blocks.

Nice to see some support for the G35. There are a couple around between 3500 and 4500, leaving me with some more cash as well. I plan to do basic upkeep myself, but a full-on project is not really in the cards at this point.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/1/18 7:16 a.m.

My 6MT G35 has been pretty much flawless over the past 8 months. Only thing that's really gone wrong is the CD changer. It's still not that fast with a bunch of bolt-ons but it's still quick (0-60 in the mid 5s). It's a little on the thirsty side but no worse than my Crown Vic was. You'll probably enjoy a G35.

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz New Reader
7/1/18 2:25 p.m.

I'll toss in a nod for the G35. Owned an 03.5 6MT sedan and had no issues with it, save for ball joints (read up on how the early cars can chew through tires and suspension components). On the plus side, I think they sound great, and they have a great ride handling balance to them. While they won't feel as composed as a comparable E46, they feel a bit more hot rod-y.

Pretty sweet cars and certainly available in your budget.

SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
7/6/18 12:39 a.m.

So today I checked out an 08 g35x. Ecellent condition, can't remember exactly mileage but I think a tad under 200k km. 5900cad including 6 month power train warranty. Going to take it for a longer test but feeling pretty good about it. Thanks for the feedback. Managed to pull myself away from a 79 Camaro and an 01 s500 for 4 grand. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/18 7:12 a.m.

E46 Touring wagon with Bilsteins and receipts for regular maintenance - anything in particular I should be looking for as red flags.  

No idea, but that's a really cool car.  

X5 - many around in nice shape but worried about reliability

Again, no idea but the X5 never did it for me.  I'd look t an Early Cayenne instead, reliability has been pretty good on them. 

Early 2000s G35 - lots of them around and well below my budget cap, heard mostly good things about them

Excellent choice, hate the interior but dynamically it is awesome.  Get AWD if you are up North.

Acura TL - a nicer Accord, what's not to like?

Nothing. I love the body style of the earlier ones before the chrome beak. 

GTI- some nice ones around but the reputation of the 4th gen has me worried

Noted, but with big rims they look great. 

Assorted early 2000s Subaru wagons - any major things to look for besides head gaskets?

Even gaskets are not as bad as their reputation.  Well maintained, they are solid as a rock. 

SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
7/17/18 6:39 p.m.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Ended up buying an '08 G35X with about 225k (km) on it. Pretty happy with it so far. It's got a few minor scratches and dings, so won't be too worried about getting a few more in parking lots and whatnot. It handles much better than anything I've owned before and is more than fast enough for my needs. Also has by far the best AC of any vehicle I've owned, which great because it is damn hot in the Okanagan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5HHRGsgArap56wFumsrZOLkoEOZ81VkhLOtRng093rFbYl0tfa7c1oJ2sc7sHsns