1 2
pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/2/15 3:56 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Ha, no. The LS's platform was there to give a good ride and decent handling. The SN95 was the current Mustang at that time and it would have been fairly laughable for any company to charge what Ford hoped to for a '78 Fairmont convertible in 2002.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/2/15 3:59 p.m.

Degas Bottle. Didn't he paint dancers or something? Oh wait. De-gas bottle. Had to look it up.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/2/15 4:32 p.m.
Wouldn't you kind of think they would have used the Mustang platform instead of this piece of crap?

I think Pres589 about covered it, but hell no. SN95s pretty much felt like trucks without the utility.

As for the interior, it's not that it's horrible on its own. It's horrible in context. It lets the rest of the car down bigtime. The car seems special until you sit in it and realize that it's just..not.

You know what other halo product Ford was pushing in 2005? The friggin Ford GT. Its interior may not have been great but at least it was different enough from an Expedition that it didn't take away from the car's plausibility as being 'special', and the rest of the car more then held up that idea of prestige. This T-bird is kind of like the Isuzu Vehicross in this way, special from the outside and pure run of the mill dashboard. But at least the Vehicross had Recaros and actual special on- and off-road ability. The T-bird really excels at nothing other than having a resale value far above its actual merit.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/2/15 7:41 p.m.

The worst part about driving one of those would be the difficulty of seeing out the eyeholes of the bag you'd have to wear over your head.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/15 8:27 p.m.

If I got one I would remove the seats and as much of the other stuff that I could. Not that you can make it in to a Miata but I always wondered if you could get it somewhere between a Miata and a mustang.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
2/2/15 8:45 p.m.

My mom has one of those with somewhere between 700 and 1200 miles on it. She wasted her money, as far as I can see. She didn't even drive it enough to tell if anything needed warranty work.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/15 9:59 p.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: My mom has one of those with somewhere between 700 and 1200 miles on it. She wasted her money, as far as I can see. She didn't even drive it enough to tell if anything needed warranty work.

hang on to that it may be worth somthing some day.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
2/3/15 8:26 a.m.

I worked at a Ford dealership when these were being sold new. They seemed to have a lot of trouble selling them, but the price was outlandish for what you got. I always thought they were very attractive cars--- especially in the Merlot and teal-ish colors.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/15 8:32 a.m.

You should check out the Thunderbird FAB1 concept. With some simple wrenching, you can totally do this!

FAB1

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SIl7ICVcpg2ldF6Juy2f2Kjr63sVMOEHqnjifoiYmtNz3etrZW1OeGFrblrTrScx