Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
3/1/22 12:04 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Thank you Sir, ordered!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/22 12:15 a.m.

Same here :) The site seems a little overwhelmed, but I got my Macca as well as my Speed Champions Mercedes W12!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
3/1/22 2:49 p.m.

Hitting the interweb sites and seeing push back from Toto on Andretti's intended path to F1. Dilution seems to be the key word here. Can't see why the concern from MB.

Keith Tanner
3/1/22 3:02 p.m.

The amount of self-interest by the teams is disappointing. It wasn't that long ago that we were bemoaning the loss of a couple of teams and the fact we could no longer get a full grid.

But this is interesting - you can see the airflow from the new car. See how the wake is tall but not wide? That means you should be able to get closer to the car in front.

Here's what the wake looked like last year.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/1/22 3:26 p.m.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/1/22 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

The FIA went really strong here...

Daniel Kyvat said that it wasn't fair and gave a very weak statement "I really hope for a peaceful solution to this situation in Ukraine, and that we can all live in peace,"

Ah, there wasn't a situation prior to your home country invading Ukraine. It kind of puts you in a bad light to the international community.

The Andretti thing is interesting too, best comment IMO "Gene Haas wouldn't sell," added Andretti. "I've asked five or six times." I find that amazing. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/1/22 3:35 p.m.

FIA took a chapter out of the Olympic committee.....laugh, I like the line "until further notice". FIA reps have to step aside but not the drivers?

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
3/1/22 3:36 p.m.

It annoys me in a way that's hard to describe that Russian drivers will be allowed under a "neutral FIA" flag. In the same why it annoys me when Olympians who have resided in the US (or any other country) their entire lives compete under a different flag due to some tenuous link to that other country

I guess it would bother me less if all the other drivers just competed under the flag of where they live, or if anyone else was already competing under the FIA flag

Edit post re-reading, Im happy with 95% of the decision, so I guess I'll take what I can and be happy about it, we'll see how strongly it's enforced

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/1/22 3:38 p.m.

IMHO, letting the Russian drivers compete at all is going light. 

If Haas runs Mazipan at Bahrain, I dont see it going well. 

There has to be some back story on the Haas/Andretti deal. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
3/1/22 3:42 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

There has to be some back story on the Haas/Andretti deal. 

Is there some Indy car rivalry there that may be influencing them? Haas showing off with the F1 team and not wanting to damage his rep by giving it up and Andretti doing better?

Keith Tanner
3/1/22 3:53 p.m.

Allowing the Russian drivers to race under a neutral flag is exactly what's been going on for the past couple of years already, no? Everyone stand up and cheer for the Russian Automobile Federation! 

Haas apparently hasn't decided what to do with their star driver,  I think they were kinda hoping the FIA would make the decision for them :)

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/1/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to TheTallOne17 :

Andretti didn't leave F1 in good terms,and Toto loves to do the elitist flexing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/1/22 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Here's some really good aero analysis based on the water pictures- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsDo_mKV0NQ&ab_channel=THERACE

Very interesting display of an interesting aero solution.

edit- why in the world do hyperlinks not link when you do a "reply" to someone???

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
3/1/22 10:21 p.m.

With all the Russian money is locked up in the banks won't Haas need to find a new sponsor?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/22 9:04 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Same here :) The site seems a little overwhelmed, but I got my Macca as well as my Speed Champions Mercedes W12!

I went to order it yesterday afternoon, already on backorder. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/2/22 9:20 a.m.
Keith Tanner
3/2/22 11:22 a.m.

No grey area there. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/22 12:15 p.m.

I wonder how this works toward the rest of the season. Will the teams want to avoid the negative pressure/media and just replace them for the rest of the season? 

Keith Tanner
3/2/22 12:50 p.m.

Given that his seat is due to his dad's sponsorship of the team and since it appears that's gone, I don't think he's got a seat anymore anyhow.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/22 12:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Given that his seat is due to his dad's sponsorship of the team and since it appears that's gone, I don't think he's got a seat anymore anyhow.

Yeah, but there's also Daniil. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/2/22 1:09 p.m.

I'm of two minds on the banning of Russian athletes; while I think things should be made as painful as possible for the government, not every citizen agrees with their government. Given they live with what is a totalitarian regime speaking out could have rather dire consequences and not everyone can be Solzhenitsyn. 

Keith Tanner
3/2/22 1:17 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I hadn't realized he was a reserve driver at Renault. Looking at the UK rules, he's not allowed to compete at Silverstone so it's unlikely to affect him. I think if he keeps his head down he'd avoid bad PR. Stepping up to the podium to campaign for the rights of Russian drivers, though, that's a little riskier.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/3/22 1:10 p.m.

Mazepin reportedly set to leave Haas Just waiting on the confirmation now I guess.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/5/22 8:24 a.m.
Keith Tanner
3/5/22 9:13 a.m.

No shock there. 

Jolyon Palmer published an article yesterday on the shakedown days for each team, and mentioned every driver but Mazepin. It was kinda funny. 

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzbfCHddkmjf3WorfWiZWDWQ4ObhmzoIjgDFMIlq9Bvlhl02Humejx6qaosIENHQ