1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 93
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/11/22 4:02 p.m.

K-Mag has already paid off- he set fastest time today with the Haas.  Even though this is all just testing, it's something Haas hasn't done.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/22 4:13 p.m.
alfadriver said:

K-Mag has already paid off- he set fastest time today with the Haas.  Even though this is all just testing, it's something Haas hasn't done.

I am soooo happy that pre-Rich Energy/Urakali HAAS is back and has K-Mag! 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/11/22 4:19 p.m.

So just watched F1's review of the day...  

Holy crap does Mercedes have a porpoising problem.  It's really bad.

McLaren looked good in Barcelona, but they have a serious brake problem now, and have a lot of work to figure it out.

Williams had a rear brake problem- they were "excusing" it as a bad pad adjustment, but it was both sides that caught on fire.

Renault looks like Racing Point, so when I heard they were doing well, I was thinking of Seb and the Aston problems.

Of all the teams, Ferrari looks to have some edge over the field.  Not sure if it will stay.  Not being a Ferrari fan.... but being a clever design fan- I'm pretty pleased that the totally different side pod concept seems to work so well.

And of the rest of the teams, Alfa Romeo looks the most likley to not finish the race- as they had another problem that cut short testing.  (while KMag and Haas put in a ton of laps)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/22 12:31 a.m.

Finished building the McLaren Lego model. Not for novice builders, but it's a great way to learn the shape of the new cars. Gorgeous piece. 

bruceman
bruceman Reader
3/12/22 8:12 a.m.

I'm so excited for the new season thanks to the new regs

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/12/22 1:32 p.m.

I watched the last couple hours of preseason testing this morning. Fully aware that no one is showing all their cards yet but the Red Bull looks very settled. It is just smooth and locked in compared to all the others. Especially the Mercedes'. The Merc looks like it's a mad bucking bull. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/13/22 10:47 a.m.

Mercedes is in big trouble, I predict a Ferrari/Red Bull podium next weekend. So, I had a thought that I am sure the engineers are also thinking. The cars do not porpoise when using the DRS or when following another car closely. If a team knows they will not be on Pole, couldn't they set the car up for maximum downforce and not worry about porpoising until they are in clean air? I don't think we have ever seen cars set up to be fast in traffic but now they can be and it could be very interesting. A driver could just hang back in 2nd place until the last lap or two then just put up with the bouncing until the checkered flag

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/22 11:04 a.m.

Wasn't it last year where we all thought mercedes was in trouble after pre season testing?  I think that turned out okay.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
3/13/22 11:10 a.m.

Wasn't last year the steering toe trick for Merc?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/22 12:06 p.m.

All the new cars are sooo sexy looking! Williams has a very different sidepod idea that basically doesn't exist like the Mercedes but has an almost vertical portion right at the driver. HAAS with a P1 and P2 in two days of testing!!! Renault is letting McLaren borrow their backup driver in Danny Ric doesn't get over COVID by next week, which is cool. Speaking of, Alonso actually looks *good* out there, and Bottas too. Mercedes porpoising is still going on but if anyone can fix it it's them. Ferrari is quietly competent, consistent fast laps. Come on next week!! Can't wait!

Keith Tanner
3/13/22 1:24 p.m.
bentwrench said:

No, it was 2020. Hard to believe.

I think Mercedes will get on top of the porpoising, they're not a team to give up. But the first race is going to be really interesting. I'm rooting for any car that doesn't have 33 on it. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/22 1:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
bentwrench said:

No, it was 2020. Hard to believe.

I think Mercedes will get on top of the porpoising, they're not a team to give up. But the first race is going to be really interesting. I'm rooting for any car that doesn't have 1 on it. 

Ftfy.

Keith Tanner
3/13/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Excellent point. 

NY Nick
3/13/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Or a Red Bull logo. I'm watching season 4 right now and I am pretty sure it's Horner that rubs me wrong. Sure Max has that on him now after 4 years of doing whatever he wants but Horner seems to be the root cause. It's almost like he has a never ending chip on his shoulder. His rallying of all the teams against Mercedes and his personal vendetta against Wolff is strange. 

Keith Tanner
3/13/22 2:32 p.m.

I agree that Horner is a grade A tool, enabled by Marko. Also that the atmosphere at Red Bull is seriously toxic. But I'm not willing to throw Checo under the bus. I think he's secure enough in who he is to stay who he is.

I do wonder how good Max could have been if he'd been in a different team.

NY Nick
3/13/22 4:41 p.m.

Yeah I always liked Checo and I do wish him well but man I find it hard to route for Horner (Marko seems the same way in the limited pieces I have seen him). 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/13/22 5:12 p.m.

I know in the past, Mercedes has sandbagged during testing but it seems different this time. Watching the onboards, the Red Bull looks so composed and fast but the Mercs look like a real handful. I'm watching the HAAS episode of Drive to Survive and am shocked at the open threats from Mazepin and his dad. Nikita is a spoiled brat, simple as that.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
3/13/22 8:01 p.m.
NY Nick said:

Or a Red Bull logo. I'm watching season 4 right now and I am pretty sure it's Horner that rubs me wrong. Sure Max has that on him now after 4 years of doing whatever he wants but Horner seems to be the root cause. It's almost like he has a never ending chip on his shoulder. His rallying of all the teams against Mercedes and his personal vendetta against Wolff is strange. 

I don't know if it was said at the time or if DTS cut it that way for the drama, but if Max made the comment "That's what happens when you don't give space!" after running over Lewis's cockpit, then any remaining respect I had for him is gone. He's a danger to others. 

-Rob

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/14/22 7:50 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

I don't know if it was said at the time or if DTS cut it that way for the drama, but if Max made the comment "That's what happens when you don't give space!" after running over Lewis's cockpit, then any remaining respect I had for him is gone. He's a danger to others. 

-Rob

I would take anything on DTS with a bit of skepticism. 

Lando Norris takes issue with Netflix’s 'Drive to Survive' retelling of Bahrain GP (planetf1.com)

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/14/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Last season Mercedes had a car that could pass where as Red bull had the out right speed but had trouble in traffic and reliability with the tires. I am thinking the same this year. I think Mercedes will take the lead right before holiday break in August. I am just wondering will Russel be close to Hamilton and how will he deal with it if he is not. It's not easy to get on pace with a new team against Hamilton, especially since him and Toto are seething. I don't want to ruin the end of Drive to Survive but....LOLz

drivetosurvive - Twitter Search / Twitter

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/15/22 6:49 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
NY Nick said:

-Rob

Max did say that over his radio before exiting the car. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/15/22 6:55 p.m.

I have avoided F1 since my last post in the 2021 season thread. Still not sure if I will watch any races this year. 

But I did decide to look into this thread to read any posts about Haas and their Russian backing. 

Thanks for the info! Sad to see the FIA try the weak sauce and happy that someone stepped up to ban them. 

Also, was checking in as my wife asked why Hamilton was changing his name, but I don't see anything in this thread. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/15/22 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

He's adding his Mother's maiden name to his surname to honor his mum.

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-could-race-with-new-surname-in-2022

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
3/15/22 8:02 p.m.
Advan046 said:
rob_lewis said:
NY Nick said:

-Rob

Max did say that over his radio before exiting the car. 

I checked myself and rewatched the race with radio commentary on for Max and he didn't say it before he got out of the car.  I don't think F1 cut it out as you could hear Hamilton's car as he was trying to extract himself from under Max's.  He may have said it later in the garage. 

(Not that any of it matters, I just wanted to update that I was wrong in my assumption and felt the need to correct myself)

-Rob

NY Nick
3/15/22 8:27 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

+1 for truth, I like fairness.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mN9Vjhym6YInLyyTZymcVH6dVkSf7YtODRLauAPE2IMN6hoNEQcydM4mBdwkR04h