In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Formula One cares not of these things.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/22 6:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Formula One cares not of these things.

Sure, but Haas is an American company and the US government does.  Economic sanctions often bar selling assets to foreign ownership in the country being sanctioned, so if this is a thing with Russia right now (I don't know if it is) then Haas may not be allowed to do it no matter what the FIA/FOM says.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/22 7:07 p.m.

So that's Andretti's role, maybe, to be an American figurehead of an American shell corp. The way Haas is ignoring the sanctions against athletes competing as Russians and use of the flag makes it pretty clear that nobody at the team or the FIA cares.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/22 7:11 p.m.

If there isn't now there might be soon. I wonder if F1 will not go to Sochi if Russia  invades the Ukrain?

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/20/22 3:58 p.m.
NY Nick said:

If there isn't now there might be soon. I wonder if F1 will not go to Sochi if Russia  invades the Ukrain?

Potentially due to the strong European thought process.  Thoughts and concerns didn't change anything around the various conflicts in them middle east that that F1 continued attending.

Keith Tanner
2/21/22 11:16 a.m.

Decent high-level writeup on what we've seen of 2022 cars so far: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.why-have-the-f1-teams-taken-such-unique-design-routes-and-what-are-the-big.7rTu6ggQjukx0zHqsQC8fa.html

Most racers would want to argue the mechanical benefits of push vs pull rod suspension, but in F1 it's all about airflow.

I'd never heard the term "gill cooling" before, I like it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/21/22 8:34 p.m.

So Renault has released some renderings- the car is being finished prior to a filming day and the late feb test session.

And they have yet another interpretation of the rules- with vents like Ferrari AND Aston Martin.  And with a new sponsor, it looks quite a bit like a late Force India...   Different front wing ideas (if the renderings are right) and different suspension.  

So much for F1 being a spec series.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/21/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Did the sponsor come to them before or after Otmar? I thought the force India esq paint scheme was pretty interesting. 

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
2/21/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I believe the sponsor came before. Interestingly enough, they are running the predominantly pink livery for the first two races, the switching to a mostly blue livery for the rest of the season. I kinda miss the pink, they really stood out

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/22/22 7:03 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Yea, given how complete the scheme is, BWT was there before Otmar was hired.  It's kind of interesting that Stroll chased them off so much, since the size of their logo suggests that they are pumping a lot of money into the team.  And for them to switch teams that quickly... hmmm..

stroker
stroker UberDork
2/22/22 7:07 a.m.
Keith Tanner
2/22/22 9:35 a.m.

That's a dead link, can you be more specific?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/22/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Seeing what the link is to- I'm betting it's something about Mario Andretti confirming Mike's application to start an F1 team.

On that note, The Race has pretty much denied my theory that they are getting Haas and that the program intends to start a fully new team, mostly based in Indianapolis with a team in Europe.  The application suggests that they have a powertrain partner in place.  The big debate is if F1 is going to even look at the application since they are not currently open to a new team.  

stroker
stroker UberDork
2/22/22 10:29 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That's a dead link, can you be more specific?

Try this one.  The Andretti family is claiming they're going to start a F1 team starting 2024...

Keith Tanner
2/22/22 10:47 a.m.

It's pretty impressive that anyone would try to start a new team considering you have to pay $200,000,000 to the other teams to be allowed to play. It's a far cry from the era when someone like Hesketh could saunter up to the grid in a rented car.

stroker
stroker UberDork
2/22/22 10:51 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It's pretty impressive that anyone would try to start a new team considering you have to pay $200,000,000 to the other teams to be allowed to play. It's a far cry from the era when someone like Hesketh could saunter up to the grid in a rented car.

I have a feeling the owners of F1 will be kicking some of that back in compensation for securing a North American team...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/22/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

At the same time, and additional team dilutes the overall F1 revenue to each team.  And if the team is not competitive, then it won't attract the eyeballs very long, and be a net loss to each team in the long run.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/22/22 11:15 a.m.

I wonder if Mazepin will be denied entry to the US, because of sanctions, similar issue happen to Aleshin when he raced in Indycar. Although the power and money of Mazepin might overcome that issue. I was sort of glad when Mazepin entered because the old storyline of Stroll was less often, but would like to see a HAAS take over if that suits Andretti best. Then Marco could take over the indycar team lolz.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/22 11:48 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to stroker :

At the same time, and additional team dilutes the overall F1 revenue to each team.  And if the team is not competitive, then it won't attract the eyeballs very long, and be a net loss to each team in the long run.

Hence why F1 requires $200M for a new entry. Weeds out the pretenders and provides the teams with some compensation for the dilution of the revenue.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/22 1:03 p.m.

2022 F1 cars: Once again an astounding year for liveries (excepting the standard RB and Ferrari is red) but the car designs themselves are all over the map! Really looking forward to this season.

Mercedes:

Red Bull:

Ferrari:

McLaren:

Alpine:

Racing Point/Aston Martin:

Alpha Tauri:

Alfa Romeo (Real car and livery to be unveiled 2/27):

Williams:

HAAS:

Keith Tanner
2/22/22 1:09 p.m.

The white wheels looked so good on the AT last year, they're doubling down with the white discs this year. The pink and blue Alpines are going to pop like crazy. I'll miss the menacing black Mercedes, though.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/22/22 1:09 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to stroker :

Hence why F1 requires $200M for a new entry. Weeds out the pretenders and provides the teams with some compensation for the dilution of the revenue.

That's why I don't think they will waive the requirement.  "Andretti" does have a lot of clout in the name, but not enough to waive the fee.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/22/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

IMHO, the coolest part of all that is you can tell the cars apart w/o the sponsors.  (assuming one spends the time learning the car shapes)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/22 1:19 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Javelin :

IMHO, the coolest part of all that is you can tell the cars apart w/o the sponsors.  (assuming one spends the time learning the car shapes)

Right? And half of them are just show cars so far with fake side pods! The different concepts are fascinating. Different looking cars was always what made F1 so cool.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
2/22/22 2:09 p.m.

What's the story with the wheels? They look like winter steelies on all but the AT. 

Interesting that the point of the nose is so different between RB and AT 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
46e32i8yj03kSYlU55wfElIrGNNI1YJbQjSYyVUd8T5tYELzeopypB1k6FeyGVEf