1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62
wae
wae UltimaDork
8/17/24 9:59 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Same reason the most technologically advanced cars in the known universe can't have ABS, traction control, etc....

loosecannon
loosecannon UltraDork
8/17/24 11:03 a.m.
wae said:

Same reason the most technologically advanced cars in the known universe can't have ABS, traction control, etc....

Those things you listed are driver aids and were banned before the season started. The things I listed are car performance aids that were legal when the season started and IMO should be allowed to stay

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/17/24 11:38 a.m.

Oh, I think it should all be allowed!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/24 12:16 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I don't understand why clever ideas are banned when they are clearly within the rules. Do they want F1 to be advanced cars or not? DAS, F-duct, mass damper, g-force biasing t-fitting, etc are really clever and within the rules as they were written at the time. If Formula 1 wants everybody to be exactly the same, just make the cars spec and be done with it. The rules are way too complicated and defined. Formula 1 should let me write the rules, I could fix this E36 M3

DAS and the F-duct were genuinely clever and legal, just not within the FIA's vision of what they wanted F1 cars to be.  So the teams were rewarded for their innovations by being allowed to run them until the end of the season.

As I understand it RBR's brake system as described in the press is not legal, the rules have said pretty explicitly (since the 1990s) that the brake system needs to be designed so that both sides of the car get the same pressure.  IMHO the gee-sensitive valve is not a clever loophole, if RBR were using it then it would be cheating.

The mass damper was a legal system that wound up being used to do things the FIA didn't want (control aero).  That one should have been allowed until the end of the season.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/23/24 4:37 a.m.

Seeing news that Alpine signed Jack Doohan for their second seat next season. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/23/24 9:02 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

There was a interesting fact that the last Academy driver that moved up to the seat at Alpine (Renault) Was Regro in 2009 (Due to Crashgate).

Still unconfirmed seats at Mercedes (1) , RB Jr. (1) , and Audi (1).

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/24/24 9:07 a.m.

Oh Logan...

"And then to add insult to injury, it caught fire."

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/24 10:06 a.m.

For a track that only has one real passing zone, there's lots of passing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/24 10:51 a.m.

Lando sure had pace in hand today.  Oscar had an odd day. Couldn't pass George in the first stnt, the put on fresh tires, passed up to Leclerc, and stalled there.

Ferrari will be very happy with their Sunday, considering how bad Friday and Saturday were.

Merc p7, p8.  I think they will be a bit pissed at that, although Lewis probably maximized his Sunday. George did not.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/24 11:00 a.m.

That was an interesting race from start to finish. Lewis passed the middle of the field twice, Albon looked good, I hope Williams is on the come up. 
Lando looked great. 
I am struggling to understand is nobody talking about the brake vectoring issue because it's not an issue or is F1 suppressing the convo because it's bad for business? If it is good for the .5 seconds a lap that McLaren said it was back in the day that tracks to the performance drop off. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/24 11:26 a.m.

The official sources will never acknowledge cheating. They're just not going to mention it, it's the rest of the pack catching up and the RBs suddenly using more tire for unknown reasons! That's a better story as far as they're concerned. And for the rest of us, we're getting some good racing.

Lando had full control of that race. It's odd that Piastri couldn't close the gap to the Ferrari, but I'm happy to see things go reasonably well for LeClerc for once. I agree that Lewis got about the best possible result and George...did not. It looked like the extra stop strategy might work but the lap times dropped off too soon.

That's kind of a fun track. Much more character than the desert ones. I'll bet it would be a lot more fun in a normal car than, say COTA.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/24 11:53 a.m.

The race pace chart they show after the race had Oscar on pce to finish second, until he had to pass someone...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/25/24 5:26 p.m.

30 points separates RBR from McLaren now. Crazy. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
8/26/24 9:37 a.m.

I'd love to do some laps at that track...so many cambered "cereal bowl" turns and undulations...it's like driving the natural topography of the dunes.  Very unlike the modern Tilke-dromes.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/26/24 10:37 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I am not sure if I should feel bad for Logan or for Carlos next year. As much as Logan has been the whipping boy this year (Lucky for DanRic and Zhou), unfortunately his confidence is gone and the shrewdness of the team is defiantly not helping.  Williams overall did not have a great weekend with the DQ in qualifying for Albon which likely would have scored points.

Lando had a great race, however he still needs some DNF help from Max to close the gap. When they interviewed Piastra at the end of the race, he said a aggressive strategy by Ferrari is what likely, hurt his race. He just couldn't pass the Ferrari. It will be interesting if McLaren comes up with a solution for the starts because both Lando and Piastra had slow starts.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/26/24 10:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner
8/26/24 11:00 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Guenther might have been a fun team boss on DTS, but he made some terrible choices in sponsors.

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/26/24 11:12 a.m.
CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/26/24 11:26 a.m.
loosecannon said:

I don't understand why clever ideas are banned when they are clearly within the rules. Do they want F1 to be advanced cars or not? DAS, F-duct, mass damper, g-force biasing t-fitting, etc are really clever and within the rules as they were written at the time. If Formula 1 wants everybody to be exactly the same, just make the cars spec and be done with it. The rules are way too complicated and defined. Formula 1 should let me write the rules, I could fix this E36 M3

F1 wants the best of both worlds (cool cars with close racing) but often ends up with the worst of both worlds (expensive cars with races won by 30 seconds). 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/26/24 11:29 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That's kind of a fun track. Much more character than the desert ones. I'll bet it would be a lot more fun in a normal car than, say COTA.

Definitely looked more like a club level circuit for track days than most of the modern F1 tracks. Would be fun to rip around in my Miata if anybody wants to pay shipping and travel costs for me. 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/26/24 11:29 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to racerfink :

Guenther might have been a fun team boss on DTS, but he made some terrible choices in sponsors.

I assume when you're at the back of the grid you're often choosing between sketchy money and no money .

johndej
johndej UltraDork
8/26/24 11:34 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

Only about 40 seconds slower.

Keith Tanner
8/26/24 12:02 p.m.

This is pretty interesting - you could not drive to the event. Everyone arrived by bike, on foot or by public transport. I think this might actually be a fun race to attend.

https://www.threads.net/@modacitylife/post/C_FgWARo7aO

I checked, it's about 7 miles from the center of Haarlem to the circuit, through a national park. Less than 100' of climbing.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/26/24 1:09 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Superkarts run 1:33's, 20 seconds off not bad for a $10-20k kart.

Superkart Track Record Assen, 1:33,05 min, onboard, Dutch Superkart GP 2020

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/26/24 1:43 p.m.
CrashDummy said:
Keith Tanner said:

Definitely looked more like a club level circuit for track days than most of the modern F1 tracks. Would be fun to rip around in my Miata if anybody wants to pay shipping and travel costs for me. 

My son, child #3 (for Dale), is my race watching buddy.  He said Zandvoort is his favorite track because "it has all those hills and looks like real roads.  It isn't just flat."  

1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qhlRycEk3KankWvJRbRAYFgml1xRImhvdbYsAC7dyq9PX5WUhs3sTHdMKHKca6l2