1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 61
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/24 2:53 p.m.
jmabarone said:
CrashDummy said:
Keith Tanner said:

That's kind of a fun track. Much more character than the desert ones. I'll bet it would be a lot more fun in a normal car than, say COTA.

Definitely looked more like a club level circuit for track days than most of the modern F1 tracks. Would be fun to rip around in my Miata if anybody wants to pay shipping and travel costs for me. 

My son, child #3 (for Dale), is my race watching buddy.  He said Zandvoort is his favorite track because "it has all those hills and looks like real roads.  It isn't just flat."  

I'm confused. You had a third child for Dale? To celebrate Dale? Or you call him #3 for Dale?

;)

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/26/24 3:48 p.m.

Everything #3 is for Dale, duh.  Just like how Danny Ric races with #3 for Dale.  

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
8/27/24 9:23 a.m.

Interesting race. The track is an oddball and so is Monza. I liked Sainz post race comments about no one knows how to handle these current rule set cars. RBR just didn't get pushed to the limit until recently so now all the flaws come out. McLaren seems to have figured out some things but are they just lucky? and give credit or not to Williams for just catching up more consistently. All but Sauber (forever slow) are oddly fast or slow almost by happenstance despite lots of smart people working very hard to go faster. 

The brake system rule clarification seems to be just that. I think all the media haven't found a team member that has come out and said, we had such a such a system that is now banned. So they won't report on it further than a few guesses and leave it at that. No grand conspiracy just tech secrets being kept secret. 

Keith Tanner
8/27/24 9:41 a.m.

It sure is coincidental that Max has suddenly lost pace and started using up tires, though. Those clarifications are prompted by something. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/27/24 9:43 a.m.

I look at Red Bull and wonder just how dedicated/involved Adrian Newey is at this point...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/27/24 10:10 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It sure is coincidental that Max has suddenly lost pace and started using up tires, though. Those clarifications are prompted by something. 

And they get tire wear with a high downforce set up. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/27/24 10:20 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I thought the FIA said that no team was using such a system.  

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/27/24 12:10 p.m.
trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/27/24 1:07 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

While I am a fan of Logan it makes sense that he is out, hopefully now he can work on a plan for indycar.

Williams are putting a unproven Franco Colapinto and they think that a rookie is going to coast through the season without wrecks is ridiculous, when there were several veterans available. I am all for new faces but this sounds like a disaster. Unless Mick gets a shot at Audi, his F1 chances might be slipping away.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis Reader
8/27/24 1:16 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to johndej :

Superkarts run 1:33's, 20 seconds off not bad for a $10-20k kart.

Superkart Track Record Assen, 1:33,05 min, onboard, Dutch Superkart GP 2020

This is Assen, not Zandvoort. Right desert, wrong tent......

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
8/27/24 2:55 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Feels like Williams is either getting money for running Colapinto or he is just the least costly 9 race driver option. 

MB maybe didn't want Antonelli loaned out for nothing. Same for Lawson, Mick, etc.

He definitely doesn't have as much stress given he knows for sure it is just an extended high quality development contract. I don't think Williams will even hint at the chance for him to replace Sainz or Albon. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
8/27/24 3:03 p.m.

They could have shaken up the world of motorsport by putting Jamie Chadwick into the car.

(Probably doesn't have super license)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/24 3:08 p.m.
Advan046 said:

They could have shaken up the world of motorsport by putting Jamie Chadwick into the car.

I would think she does, but it's tough to follow.  I haven't been able to see where there is an up to date tally of her points.  

I bet she is just as fast and would crash a lot less than colapinto.  

I am shocked they are going with him.  I'm 99% sure that Logan is a better driver than colapinto.  I don't understand this move AT ALL.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/27/24 3:21 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Advan046 said:

I would think she does.  

I bet she is just as fast and would crash a lot less than colapinto.  

I am shocked they are going with him.  I'm 99% sure that Logan is a better driver than colapinto.  I don't understand this move AT ALL.

The only thing that makes sense is money.  Some investors are made about throwing away money on written off cars and some investors want to see Colapinto in the car.  

Unless RBR or Mercedes were looking for a way to dump their reserve drivers and Williams didn't want that issue, I don't see the harm in throwing Mick or Liam in the car for one weekend.  Best case, their experience helps the team and maybe gets them points.  Worst case, they write the car off.  

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
8/27/24 9:24 p.m.

Maybe Dorelton has some business in Argentina that is improved via this deal?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/29/24 4:39 p.m.

The Race is reporting that Alpine employees are planning a strike this weekend and a protest at the track at Monza over the decision to cut the team from Renault. Not sure that will make a difference. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/29/24 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

I read a reported rumor that $4.5 Million was brought to the table and a conversation with Liam and Mick did not happen because of the money, that was brought.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/30/24 9:40 a.m.
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/24 9:43 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Ooof, probably not the way that Toto was hoping that was gonna go.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/30/24 10:56 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Maybe 2025 will be really expensive for Mercedes. 

Keith Tanner
8/30/24 11:01 a.m.

Well, they're saving a bunch of money on driver salary...

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/30/24 1:49 p.m.

Toto's comments about Kimi's crash are basically that Merc is very impressed because Kimi was able to be so fast and the fact that he crashed was just that the car couldn't handle his speed.

In other words, Kimi burned up his tires and overcooked the corner.  I guess by that logic, I could be a very impressive F1 driver because I could launch the car and go faster than anyone else into turn 1.  Sure, I'd wad the car up in the tire barrier, but I'd be so fast!

(okay, so I probably wouldn't be able to launch the car at all.  But you get the point)

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/30/24 3:57 p.m.

In reply to wae :

The problem is a lot of these rookies do not have the endless testing and money like they did back in the day. This style of burning all the fuel and tires, May not work in his favor. I guess will see. However Logan, Mick, and Nyck all lost there jobs, for sticking it into the wall too many times.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
8/30/24 4:10 p.m.

I've heard similar logic applied to early Max and Seb that it's easier to tame a fast driver to crash less if they have raw speed then it is to develop a consistent conservative good driver to go quicker.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
8/31/24 8:54 a.m.

and now he's confirmed for the season 

1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 61

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMvGq8V8U8b2pPpUv6nvpTXwzfeVrPbqL7cNZkosYTGalfTSceCWGy6gRg45wKr2