1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 62
gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/24 11:24 a.m.

well, this along with the continued switch to more street courses has kinda soured me on F1 at this point. probably just gonna sleep in on sundays

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
1/31/24 12:04 p.m.

Basically FIA said Andretti is stupid for wanting to build a 2025 spec car and then a new car for 2026. The biggest ouch for me was FIA saying the believe Andretti would get more out of joint F1 than F1 will.

FIA also saying that if you want to join F1 you have to be competing for podiums on your first race....so good luck anyone else trying to join.

Edit: Not FIA who rejected, rather F1 rejected the team.

gixxeropa
1/31/24 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Hoppps :

It seems like a case of cultural elitism in formula 1 (they want American money but not American people) combined with wanting to delay until they can jack up the anti-dilution fee to $1B

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/24 12:14 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to Hoppps :

It seems like a case of cultural elitism in formula 1 (they want American money but not American people) combined with wanting to delay until they can jack up the anti-dilution fee to $1B

So, liberty media is basically who said no to Andretti as I understand it.  Liberty media is an American company.

The FIA (who are generally european) said YES to Andretti.

In other words, I'm not sure this is about anti American elitism.  He'll, 1 of the 10 teams on the grid IS american.

gixxeropa
1/31/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

"American" and "team" are both strong words to describe Haas 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/31/24 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Hoppps :

Did they say podiums or just competitive?  Based on the last decade, Andretti would struggle in the spec series that is F2, let alone be capable of building an F1 car that would be within 107%. I think they would look at a Penske or Ganassi entry a little more seriously. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/24 1:08 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

It's not about being American, it's about money.  The teams don't want to share prize money and they don't want to dilute the market value of the existing teams.  It's the same reason that you and your buddies can't start a new NFL team.

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
1/31/24 2:05 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

"9. Any 11th team should show that its participation and involvement would bring a benefit to the Championship. The most significant way in which a new entrant would bring value is by being competitive, in particular by competing for podiums and race wins. This would materially increase fan engagement and would also increase the value of the Championship in the eyes of key stakeholders and sources of revenue such as broadcasters and race promoters."

That's the quote, however I guess it does say that fighting for podiums would be the "most significant" way to bring value, but not the only way.

I read that and thought they would more so want a team that has proven itself already in the lower series like F2, but they rejected Hitech and Rodin Carlin...but they may not have had enough backing that Andretti/GM does.

Either way I think it's a shame, I would've have really liked to see Andretti and GM in F1.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
1/31/24 3:04 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I wouldn't call a Global corporation bleeding red, white, and blue. Chase Carey and Stefano Domenicali, held the line on "Members Only Club" and weren't opening the door to AA. Other then McLaren nobody wanted AA on the grid. So why is it that any country can write a check and be on the schedule, but not a team? Then you have Putin money and made up energy drinks on cars, and think that AA somehow will devalue the brand? 

CGR and Penske are smart not to bother with the Dog and Pony show application with F1.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/24 4:00 p.m.
Hoppps said:

I read that and thought they would more so want a team that has proven itself already in the lower series like F2, but they rejected Hitech and Rodin Carlin...but they may not have had enough backing that Andretti/GM does.

Yeah, I don't think they're really doing this in good faith.  They don't want ANY new teams and are just cherry-picking whatever reason they can come up with.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/31/24 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Hoppps :

Again, Andretti, specifically, should not be looked at just at the potential money they can get- look back on the last decade of success, or more correctly, lack thereof.  In a spec series that hasn't changed in a decade.  With money and good drivers.

I'm not forgiving F1 for other reasons that they are hoarding their money- but the fact that Andretti can't win in a spec series is really glaring to me for that line item.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/24 4:24 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Hoppps said:

Yeah, I don't think they're really doing this in good faith.  They don't want ANY new teams and are just cherry-picking whatever reason they can come up with.

This 100%. I think it is a little funky too. Other professional sports are / have expanded and not to the detriment of the original teams. The fact that only 14 years ago there were 12 teams makes me think that the remaining teams are being greedy here. I find the monopolization of a few teams here to be concerning. This is highlighted by the RB total control over VCARB (or whatever they are), Mercedes strong influence over Williams, and Ferrari's ability to bend the will of Haas and Alfa. That is 70% of the grid answering to 3 teams. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/31/24 5:46 p.m.

Like f1 puts out a decent product comparable to nascrap....  just keep stroking their proverbial penis....

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/31/24 7:37 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Hoppps :

Again, Andretti, specifically, should not be looked at just at the potential money they can get- look back on the last decade of success, or more correctly, lack thereof.  In a spec series that hasn't changed in a decade.  With money and good drivers.

I'm not forgiving F1 for other reasons that they are hoarding their money- but the fact that Andretti can't win in a spec series is really glaring to me for that line item.

I agree in principle, but let's not overstate things. They win races every year. They aren't backmarkers, they are solidly third behind Penske and Ganassi. Having said that, I do think this is Micheal trying to spread himself too thin.

Still, though. General berkeleying Motors doesn't bring enough commercial attention and credibility? Come on...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/31/24 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

If they were supplying engines or sub assemblies, maybe.  But not just the name.  Did Alfa Romeo actually bring any thing more than money to Sauber?  I don't think so.  I was never under the illusion that they had anything to do with Alfa Romeo, even as a sub company of Fiat.  It was just a name and money.  So GM in this case is no different than MoneyGram.

Even in the "reasons" had GM said they would build engines, I'm sure the application would look different to F1. 

Again, I'm still not happy with F1 that they are clearly clutching their money and don't want to share with anyone else.  I just can't see Andretti being anything but 21 and 22 on the grid for many years, given their relative success with a chassis they have had a decade to figure out.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/1/24 8:45 a.m.
johndej
johndej SuperDork
2/1/24 9:00 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Lol, yeah our local shock jock host jumped on the F1 band wagon with the drive to survive crowd, he was going nuts over it this morning.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/1/24 9:14 a.m.

The only reason he would go to Ferrari right now is for the glory of wearing red.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/1/24 9:48 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Well, my wife survived being a Ferrari fan for a few years, I can, too.

markvince
markvince New Reader
2/1/24 9:55 a.m.

These are all rumors so far but it seems highly likely that he is going to join Ferrari and Leclerc in 2025.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/1/24 11:38 a.m.
markvince said:

These are all rumors so far but it seems highly likely that he is going to join Ferrari and Leclerc in 2025.

BBC and Sky Sports aren't typically in the business of posting incorrect info. 

RE: Andretti, I think it's funny about them getting more out of F1.........Marussia and HRT brough such prestige to F1!!! How many sponsorship mishaps was HAAS a part of? etc etc

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/1/24 12:47 p.m.

Yes Skysports sure seem to think its a done deal,Ferrari has enough money to buy Lewis from his Merc contract.

Makes sense to me,only reason Merc is close to Ferrari in constructors is strategy errors and Leclec the wonder boy throwing it away at every chance he gets.

Otherwise the Ferrari is the better car currently.

I see Lewis to Ferrari,Sainz back to RB and Albon to Mercedes.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 1:06 p.m.

Lewis and Leclerc - that's a strong driver lineup and Lewis might be able to help Leclerc get his head together. Ferrari isn't going to have any excuses.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/1/24 1:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Lewis and Leclerc - that's a strong driver lineup and Lewis might be able to help Leclerc get his head together. Ferrari isn't going to have any excuses.

Ferrari gonna Ferrari is still a valid excuse.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 1:27 p.m.

They are, although they have managed to get it together for periods in the past.

Every driver who thinks they can be WDC wants a chance to measure themselves against the best in equal machinery. Leclerc now has that chance.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CT85G7Kj6QWB5oSCRrcfQUGiuiGi4FEBr1iNdOb4cQvYZ7deqReMYO2wKetLgtUY