Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/3/24 4:16 p.m.

So, they're in sale at tire rack in 275/40/17, for 450 a set. My subaru is going to need a fresh set of tires after the challenge. 

It sees mostly dd use here in the southeast. Its fun to autocross on the worn out kumho tires i got from steve, so ill probably do more of that as a fun thing when the miata is broke or i dont have enough time to take the event more seriously. 

How are thse tires at fun stuff? Dd stuff? Rain? Do they tramline bad? Any other nasty characteristics? These kumhos follow road crown terrible, so im hoping to get away from that.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/3/24 4:29 p.m.

I had them on my car for a day and I wanted to get rid of them. Good traction, handling and great in the rain, but the noisiest tires I've ever experienced. They were 225 40 18

Dusterbd13-michael
3/4/24 5:59 a.m.

When you say noisy, what are we talking about? Car has a flowmaster 40 and a turndown at the bumper, so....

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
3/4/24 8:23 a.m.

I've had them only my daily Elantra N for about 2 years now.  No complaints and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again, no issues with noise on a slightly noisy car. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/4/24 8:36 a.m.

I put a set on my Audi S4 when the factory OE tires wore out.  I road tripped the car all the way to Florida and did a few autocross events on them.  I'm bad at autocross so i can't comment on the quality of the tire but they were no worse for wear.  General is owned by Conti and i compared them against the DWS06 tires and at 2/3rd the price they are a good value.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/24 8:49 a.m.

I've had General G-Max RS on the E36 M3 for the past two summers and have no complaints. Just normal/spirited driving. No actual performance driving. I know it's not the tire model but it's all I can offer. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/4/24 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I've had similar tires from General, I think the model that these replaced, and was very happy with them. I had them on my 16 Forte Koup replacing the original Nexens, then the Antares that came on the rims I bought and used for a week. It was a reasonably quiet car, and the noise was unbearable, I could hear it over the radio at normal levels and neither of the previous tires made any noticeable noise. I was surprised, but they were awful 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/4/24 10:35 a.m.

I've had a set on my daily Mazdaspeed3 in 225/45/18 for the last 18 months in the northeast. They've been pretty good just tooling around in the dry and in the wet. I have probably 12k on them at the moment, which includes a trip from PA to IN where they were well behaved and less noisy than the exhaust.

They're probably a bit noisier than the Yokohama's I had on there before, but it's hard to tell over the racket the car makes and the general state of Pennsylvania's roads. I don't think they tramline too much, but I have nearly all the toe dialed out of the car because it eats the front tires if I don't.

I've run Generals exclusively on my wife's SUV for the last 15 years, and this is the second set of Generals I've had on the MS3 (I've had the OE Dunlops, General Sport Comp 2's, Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S, now the General AS-05.) They're probably my favorite tires in the price range.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/4/24 1:12 p.m.

Other than a little noisy, im not hearing any reason they wont fit the bill!

Thanks y'all!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H19ZW44azAVAVr3PxZSNdqBjnvcavw3ML4BcIOQb83V6ES3DseXghGGG5njGYsrL