1 2 3 ... 5
RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/6/09 5:04 p.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5375233/toyota-ft+86-concept-behold-the-new-ae86?skyline=true&s=i

Not bad looking at all. It's smaller in dimension than the 370Z, which should make it relatively compact. Power's coming from a 2.0L or 2.5L N/A Subaru boxer engine (no turbo option AFAIK).

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
10/6/09 5:28 p.m.

I really, really like the styling and size. Hopefully the number will be closer to 250hp and as little weight as possible.

Wonder when the projected release date is. Something like this could tear me away from the Eurotrash.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
10/6/09 5:58 p.m.

wow, that looks great. hopefully they can keep the weight down.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/6/09 6:05 p.m.

There is absolutely no good reason for that car to be restricted to a NA engine. I hope that part is dead wrong, especially with the turbo Genesis already on the market, turbo engines in use pretty much throughout the Subaru line, and knowing that a turbo engine will almost always be more fuel efficient for its given power output. Kept around 2800lb and 25k with a 250ish hp turbo motor they will sell a ton of these things.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/09 6:06 p.m.

Now let's see it in white with tofu shop insignia on the doors

Not bad at all, although the big slab sides give it a heavy look. Some very interesting detailing on the lights.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
10/6/09 6:40 p.m.

I think it's a little busy but overall well done. I could get into that.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/09 7:09 p.m.

Agreed the slab sides need something, MR 2ish side scoop/scallop would prob help it, but over all I would drive it, but it better be sub 20k for me to think about it on my single income two student household. The wife even said she'd drive it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
10/6/09 7:34 p.m.

well....someone is already planning an STI/LSx engine swap

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/6/09 7:47 p.m.

RWD FTW

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
10/6/09 8:16 p.m.

It needs to be under $20,000 for it even to be mentioned along side the AE86 or hell, even the Celica.

This styling looks expensive, and I'm losing faith that this car will be in my market.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/09 8:25 p.m.

I'm hoping they don't make too many changes to the production version, I really like it!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/09 8:29 p.m.

The rear smacks of FD RX7 in a good way. It also looks like the dashboard has an integrated CD played covers in leather. Interesting...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/09 8:36 p.m.

25k - 30k minimum.

I like the look but I'm more an engine and tech guy. Let's see how it moves and how it's engineered.

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
10/6/09 8:42 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: 25k - 30k minimum.

In that case I'm disappointed in Toyota for using the AE86 fanbase as a way of getting people interested in a car that shares nothing in common with the namesake, besides being RWD.

Guess I'll be on the market next year for a used Genesis sedan.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/6/09 8:46 p.m.

Hate to say it, but Xceler8x is right on the price. Accoring to a Toyota marketing drone, it's going to be around 3 million yen ($33,700) :

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-10-06-toyota-green-sports-car_N.htm

Of course, stuff changes between concept and production. I hope against hope a price reduction is among them.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
10/6/09 9:20 p.m.
PHeller wrote:
In that case I'm disappointed in Toyota for using the AE86 fanbase as a way of getting people interested in a car that shares nothing in common with the namesake, besides being RWD. Guess I'll be on the market next year for a used Genesis sedan.

Name a similarly fun car that is less than $25k?

I can think of 4 (Genesis, Cooper S, Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt SS) and only one is RWD. And the Genesis Coupe is a pig.

jcanracer
jcanracer Reader
10/6/09 9:49 p.m.

This will be my next car, i no longer give a damn if the wife wants to complain that 2dr 4 seaters are impractical....

as for the lack of turbo...its still vanilla Toyota underneath it all. There will be a 2.0 NA for fuel economy bragging rights and then a GT-S with the 2.5L i am fairly sure of it. Question is, will the revival of Toyota as a fun car also prompt a revival of TRD as anything useful?

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
10/6/09 9:57 p.m.

I know when a new car shows up, one of the things folks say is "...looks kind of like the --------------" . Well, to me, this looks like a Mazda. If Mazda wanted to make a sub-RX-8 model, this would be it.

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
10/6/09 10:26 p.m.

I agree... it seems to have the angular Mazda thing going on.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
10/6/09 10:37 p.m.

Hmmmmmmmm..... the front is really ugly... I liked the old old concept better, (it was orange, IIRC).

Also, definitely more expensive, heavier, and powerful than what I wanted, I'm still glad Toyota is offering something like this. I just think it's more of a Supra than a RWD economy car.

The interior is actually my favorite part.. and I usually pay no attention to that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/09 10:41 p.m.

I agree it has a mazdaesque face to it.. at least before Mazdas started to smile.

I think we may be looking at another go for car makers building coupe's. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Hyundai, Toyota/subaru, Mazda, BMW... this could be a good time for coupe' buyers

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
10/7/09 2:52 a.m.

I like it. It finds a nice midpoint between angular and bulbous design cues.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/09 7:06 a.m.

just a shame some of the "busyness" of the front did not carry over to the sides.. it needs SOMETHING to break up that sheetmetal

sachilles
sachilles Reader
10/7/09 8:04 a.m.

6 speed with the 2.5 could still be decent if the weight isn't crazy. I notice some sort of ABS button near the shifter(ABS disable?).

skeeler
skeeler New Reader
10/7/09 8:30 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Name a similarly fun car that is less than $25k? I can think of 4 (Genesis, Cooper S, Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt SS) and only one is RWD. And the Genesis Coupe is a pig.

There's also the third-gen Miata, as long as you don't get the Grand Touring trim level or the PRHT.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hbu2HwjUKOutQKAHw3z0ILu9OXpIMOcKljTt9QV9ke9eqetZ1YsathUAnPLMpmEQ