https://youtu.be/vwl40XFvpLE

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/15 5:41 p.m.

Wow.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
3/18/15 5:59 p.m.

I drove some of those roads in Ireland a couple of years ago.
the speed limit is 100km/hr. I had several time that I was going as fast as I dared with my wife in the car and was under the speed limit. great video.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/18/15 6:17 p.m.

The footage in the rain is what got me. Hook a tire in the mud? berkeley you, i'm not lifting.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/18/15 6:21 p.m.

When hillclimbers walk by you typically hear clanking. That guy can barely walk his are so big.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/18/15 7:14 p.m.

Wow, that dude is the man!

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/18/15 8:24 p.m.

Maybe someday he'll get a Spec Miata and graduate to real racing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/15 8:48 p.m.

I spent the last two days doing suspension calibration. That car could use some real work in that area, then the driver wouldn't have to spend so much time saving his life.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
3/18/15 9:24 p.m.

I bet he still would, he'd just be going faster when he did.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/18/15 9:28 p.m.

He used to do stage rallies but he couldn't fit his attachments AND a navigator in the car at the same time.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/18/15 9:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I spent the last two days doing suspension calibration. That car could use some real work in that area, then the driver wouldn't have to spend so much time saving his life.

But that's no fun to watch.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/15 11:09 p.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: I bet he still would, he'd just be going faster when he did.

...sounds like personal experience :)

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/19/15 1:08 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I see what you mean. The car is leaning, he probably didn't compensate for the weight of his gigantic pair.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
3/19/15 5:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I spent the last two days doing suspension calibration. That car could use some real work in that area, then the driver wouldn't have to spend so much time saving his life.

? The car did not roll heavily in the turns, kept all four tires on the ground over the rough stuff and in the turn, both sharp and gradual. He throttle balanced the rear step out in the turns. His brakes were slightly biased to the front, making hard as possible stops for sharp turns easier.

What are you seeing that you believe is so awful about that car and it's handling?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
3/19/15 6:31 a.m.

I'm car from a suspension expert, but here's my. 02¢. First of all, the car seemed to be a bit bouncy, but I never saw daylight under a tire. Second, those roads are probably a lot bumpier than the video makes them look. Going fast on bumpy roads requires softer suspension, much like in a rally car. Basically a hill climb is a tarmac rally. Lastly, if this car is competing in a vintage or historic class, there may be limits to how its prepared.

Over all it looked pretty darn good for early seventies tech.

I wonder if his big giant brass ones require any special safety gear?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/15 10:54 a.m.

Forget the suspension, I want to know what in the hell he feeds that thing?!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/15 5:55 p.m.

80 km/h. Hahahahaha!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
3/19/15 6:41 p.m.

Yeah I don't see much that can be drastically improved given the strut front live axle rear(its no Miata in design).I did see some rear suspension bind and the resulting inside tire lift,my AE86 was equal length 3 link and it dealt with that very well but I never did anything that rough.

For what its worth that while I think the car is awesome and the driver tuned to the car very well it pales in comparison to my alltime favorite hillclimb nutjob...both car and driver.

https://youtu.be/A1oM1hcMEZI

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/15 6:57 p.m.

The car's not well damped. Check out the corner at 1:07, you can see it rebound on a bump and pitch sideways. At 1:23, the back of the car is pogoing. Again at 4:09. Actually, in that series that starts at 1:19, it's bouncing around quite a bit. Keeping wheels on the ground is only part of it, if you've got a couple of thousand pounds of steel moving their weight around it can mess you up. It seems to vary from clip to clip, maybe he was having trouble with his shocks for a couple of events.

Of course, it's set up to be hilariously loose, which is likely driver preference. He does seem to spend some time chasing the tail, although he's definitely on top of it.

I'm assuming that it's running a hand grenade BDA. Nothing else sounds quite so glorious.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/19/15 6:58 p.m.

https://youtu.be/HBLIHAsknRI

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/19/15 7:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

In the comments they mentioned a Pinto motor with some trick head. Said something about north of 300hp. No idea if that's what a BDA is.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/19/15 7:36 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: In the comments they mentioned a Pinto motor with some trick head. Said something about north of 300hp. No idea if that's what a BDA is.

BDA is a twincam 4 made by Ford, designed by Cosworth - http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/bda.htm

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TWjv1mHaw5S8O1uBaPiBEQvX3V1ls0Rjbz4D3qvRpDxtkCESrDdOwL8nop5WHeZi