1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/1/21 9:19 a.m.
feature_image

According to a source working for GM who spoke to Motor Trend, Chevrolet planned to once again revive the Z/28 name by dropping the flat-plane crank, 5.5-liter V8 from the upcoming C8 Corvette Z06 in the current-gen Camaro.

That source, known only as “Deep Burble,” also noted that the Z06 engine is good for a little over 600 horsepower. …

Read the rest of the story

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/1/21 9:51 a.m.

As much as it sounds like a cool engine, I'm not sure how many extreme track variants of Camaro are needed. The ZL1 1LE really seems to be the same concept as the Z28, with similar execution.

I thought the initial 6th gen Camaro's were attractive enough, but the mid generation facelift was poorly conceived.

350z247
350z247 Reader
7/1/21 10:58 a.m.

I'm bummed as this sounds like it would have been incredible. I am not a fan at all of using FI on track; so, I would never even consider a ZL1 (yes, it can be done, but NA is better for a number of reasons). However, the GT350 still exists and in pretty big numbers too. One of those is on my list right after a Boxster GTS.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/21 11:08 a.m.

When they inevitably option the camaro in an electric drivetrain, will it be the E/28?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
7/1/21 11:16 a.m.

Bummed this did not go into production. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/21 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Even just the SS 1LE is a pretty bonkers track car. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/1/21 11:33 a.m.
iansane said:

When they inevitably option the camaro in an electric drivetrain, will it be the E/28?

GM after reading your commet:

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/1/21 11:39 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
iansane said:

GM after reading your commet:

It costs nothing to be kind. Instagram: @theother_woodbrother.

BMW's lawyers watching GM after they read your comment:

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/21 1:08 p.m.
iansane said:

Didn't they do this several years ago?

The electric COPO or something. 

Edit:

Yeah this thing . Meh. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/21 1:29 p.m.

They messed up the sixth-gen [Camaro's] styling." Yes, friends, Chevy made the current Camaro so unattractive that it led to ...

I keep reading statements like this, but I really don't see how it's any more ugly than any camaro that's been made since 2002?   

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/21 1:44 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
iansane said:

Didn't they do this several years ago?

The electric COPO or something. 

Edit:

Yeah this thing . Meh. 

Okay. This demonstrates how information lays dormant in the back of your brain and seeps out at random later times. I used to sell parts to the high school that built that. (I was the wholesale department at the O'Reilly Auto down the road) Seriously, how did I not remember that? The teacher Pat McCue is a really cool, down to earth guy. 

350z247
350z247 Reader
7/1/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to BA5 :

Because this looks worse than the new M4...

Chevrolet Is Rushing Another Camaro Facelift After Sales Plunge - Camaros  of Michigan

FORZDA1
FORZDA1 GRM+ Member
7/1/21 2:08 p.m.

GM lost their way decades ago.  Government Motors is a bust.  GM Junk.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/21 2:35 p.m.
350z247 said:

In reply to BA5 :

Because this looks worse than the new M4...

Chevrolet Is Rushing Another Camaro Facelift After Sales Plunge - Camaros  of Michigan

I'll have some of what you're smoking. laugh

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/1/21 3:00 p.m.

The muscle car market is very much predicated on certain things not changing and in many ways the market BMW plays in is similar. In some ways it's surprising that evolving the Camaro styling was insufficient. I have to imagine many automotive designers go home and drink every night. The giant maw trend eg. M4 is one example.

Remember how cars once had rubber bumpers, black door strips to reduce dings, etc. Remember how much better they started looking when these bits became body colored and later went away? The current trend to make plastic bits stand out is similar to my eyes. It looks less sophisticated, less cohesive.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/1/21 3:16 p.m.
350z247 said:

(yes, it can be done, but NA is better for a number of reasons).

89 GIFS ideas in 2021 | funny gif, funny pictures, bones funny

Panhandler
Panhandler GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/1/21 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

IMO, all modern cars are ugly, not just the Camaro.  I can count on one hand the number of new cars that have anything that approaches style.  Sometimes, it's like they are trying to make them look  gross....

350z247
350z247 Reader
7/1/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

650hp LS7 > 650hp LT4. It's lighter, takes longer to heat soak, is easier on the engine, and is less complicated. I have no love for FI track cars.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/1/21 4:06 p.m.

I'm not so sure about the FI criticism in this case. The sixth gen Camaro is the poster child for OEM heat endurance. The SS, ZL1 and all 1LE variants all have what it takes to be flogged on track. I believe in development they were tested for 24 hours straight, so if there's heat soak it might be after that. ;) I know the 5th gen Z28 was built for track duty too. Please don't mistake this for me endorsing gm/gm reliability/etc, I have very much the opposite opinion.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/1/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

Yeah, sure.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/1/21 4:22 p.m.

Sorry, every time I see FI, I read it as Fuel Injection. I'm like, yeah, Camaros have been injected for almost 40 years. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/21 8:22 p.m.
BA5 said:

They messed up the sixth-gen [Camaro's] styling." Yes, friends, Chevy made the current Camaro so unattractive that it led to ...

I keep reading statements like this, but I really don't see how it's any more ugly than any camaro that's been made since 2002?   

And by 2002 I assume you mean 1971?  smiley

randyracer
randyracer New Reader
7/2/21 3:12 p.m.

A lone voice in the wilderness for 6th-gen Camaro?  I bought one in Brilliant Blue, 4-cyl Turbo 1LE, and I think it looks terrific, and handles even better.  The 275 hp and about 300 lb/ft torque, all bottom end, is plenty for me for spirited street driving without jail or hospital time.             And I am not a fan of trendy flat-plane cranks.  GM better do it right.  The Ford GT350 vibrates and has weak low rpm pull, and cannot be raced because it beats its bearings to death.  Not impressed.        GT500, on other hand, is back to properly-engineered cross-plane. and is a fantastic powerplant.  Welcome back engineering over marketing. !LE Turbo

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/2/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

By 1971 I assume you really mean 1969 ?

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/2/21 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Panhandler :

All mfrs seem to be engaged in an ugly front end contest, which I've never seen announced, but seems to have no end in sight.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AFP1rs9tgeNlaIEMTX79gsYNd7YZFCyZHshZ9MJczi4z9VsCm9dueS4Rtslbpwd0