DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/21/24 4:02 p.m.

I just got the current issue from the mailbox and read the editorial columns. Congratulations to all of you for churning out two of my favourite magazines. I've been reading Grassroots since a member of the Western Ontario Sports Car Association brought a copy of the mag to a monthly meeting in 1986. I still have every issue from January '87 to the present and will continue as long as you folks put it out  , or until I stop breathing. It sounds like hyperbole, but this magazine, and this forum have been a long lasting and wonderful part of my life. You have influenced my motorsport activities for four decades and people on this forum have become valuable friends. Thank you all so very, very much !!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/21/24 4:26 p.m.

Your little magazine has impacted the world in a positive way far greater than you could ever know.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
9/21/24 4:42 p.m.

I used to keep mags forever, but now I take advantage of being able to view the old issues online. 
These days, I keep the magazines for about 6-12 months and then I take them to to the library since they have a "free" box.  
Somebody(s) I'll never meet seems to snap them up so yes, as said above ...

"Your little magazine has impacted the world in a positive way far greater than you could ever know."

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/24 5:52 p.m.

Picked up my first copy in a 7 - 11 in West Palm Beach in Nov of 1984.

for $.35, for what it is worth.

Been a heck of a ride

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/21/24 6:07 p.m.

Awww... you guys... blush

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/24 6:21 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I just got the current issue from the mailbox and read the editorial columns. Congratulations to all of you for churning out two of my favourite magazines. I've been reading Grassroots since a member of the Western Ontario Sports Car Association brought a copy of the mag to a monthly meeting in 1986. I still have every issue from January '87 to the present and will continue as long as you folks put it out  , or until I stop breathing. It sounds like hyperbole, but this magazine, and this forum have been a long lasting and wonderful part of my life. You have influenced my motorsport activities for four decades and people on this forum have become valuable friends. Thank you all so very, very much !!

Warren summed it up really well. 

Substitute "Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team" for "Western Ontario Sports Car Association" and that's my story too. Even the dates line up!

Thank you Auto-X ... er, I mean GRM!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/21/24 6:53 p.m.

Yes, awww, thank you and thanks for all of the support. blush

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/24 7:00 p.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

Houston Texas while on a business trip at a Barnes and Noble in 2008. I wish it was sooner but I knew it was special from the first read and I have been hooked ever since. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/22/24 2:28 p.m.

I saw my first bumper sticker in 2011 at my first rallycross.  I remember expecting it to be some sort of magazine for local racing like dirt track cars for some reason.  I finally found an issue at Meijer probably 2012 & seeing normal cars, stuff like "here's how to modify your MR2"!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/24 4:55 p.m.

First found GRM in spring 2008 when I was working at an outdoor mall. I would spend my lunch break at Barnes and Nobles reading car magazines and realized there was an inverse correlation between the number of bikini-girls on the cover and the quality of technical content inside each magazine.

The "Junkyard Girls Gone Wild" article was an aberration, albeit an interesting one.

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
9/22/24 7:28 p.m.

I can't remember when I bought my first Auto-X Magazine but I'm glad I did.   My favorite project car is the yellow rotary Spitfire.

Keep up the good work, we need another 40 years.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/22/24 10:55 p.m.

You should do a retro cover, with  Auto-X on it one issue in celebration.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/23/24 12:09 a.m.

I'm a relative newcomer, having discovered GRM via the forum. I started lurking in about 2011, joined the forum in 2015.

As a result, by 2018 I had bought my first miata and started autocross. I got into autocross in a big way, developed a whole bunch of friendships and found something that kept me going through some hard times. I'm very grateful.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/23/24 12:58 a.m.

Thank you all so, so, so much for the support over all these years. We plan to be here for at least another 40!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szgTfuoej0TWV10KB9120cqTxQ0Chtv0XgWmBgj1U8wVJo7QWU6uVoQXu1dupytq