Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/25/15 10:55 p.m.

This is one of those issues where the old dudes just went to some shop and had something done for $30, but my local shops are mystified. I'm hoping someone can point me to the obvious solution I'm missing here.

Here's the dealio: I have a power steering pump on my 5.2 Magnum donor motor that takes an 18mm male o-ring fitting for the pressure hose.

The pressure hose for the '67 Mopar box has a 3/8 male inverted flare fitting on the pump side.

The whole fitting from the Magnum pump looks like this:

You'll note it has that flow restrictor tube on the bottom, so I can't just use standard fittings directly on the pump or I assume bad things will happen to my steering.

What I've tried so far: I tried taking my hose to a Pirtek hydraulic shop and they were stumped, which I wasn't expecting. I can find many forum instances of other Mopar guys going to blah blah shop and having the correct hose end swapped for $20, or a whole hose made at NAPA for $40, but the hydro shop was completely baffled and the NAPAs around here don't do anything for power steering for supposed legal reasons. Apparently I live in bizarro world.

There are conversion parts very similar to this combo for pump swaps on GMs, but they're all apparently 5/8 flare, not 3/8. If I could find one of these types of doodads in the correct flare size, I think I may be in the clear, but I can't find any in the right sizes: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/O-Ring-to-Inverted-Flare-Power-Steering-Adapter,24682.html

I've found this set of little drop-in converter fittings, but I can't find specs for the actual flare or O-ring size anywhere: www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-925122

I found this list of Gates metric power steering adapters at the end of an O'Reilly search and some look like they may be exactly what I need, but I can't find actual specs on any of the PNs or determine if they're even still produced: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Power+Steering+Adapters/N1467/C0269.oap?page=2&results=20&sortBy=1

I just need to convert my 3/8 male inverted flare to an 18mm o-ring fitting goddangit, is that so hard?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
9/25/15 11:06 p.m.

That's weird with NAPA, I was under the impression NAPA would make brake hoses.

If you've got an indy parts/speed shop with a weatherhead cabinet they might be able to hook you up.

Put the 60's pump on the new motor?

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/25/15 11:08 p.m.

No can do, I'm retaining the whole serpentine system. Old pump was crappy V-belt.

Kenny_McCormic
9/25/15 11:17 p.m.

The pulleys don't interchange? Any serp belt car/truck that used the old pump?

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/25/15 11:26 p.m.

I have to use the current pump, we're talking a 67 car with a 96 engine, there's not a lot of back-and-forth swappability aside from motor mounts.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/15 11:31 p.m.

I would try another hydraulics shop. Where are you located?

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/25/15 11:38 p.m.

I'm in the central Puget Sound area of Washington. The Pirtek shop recommended I try Olympic 4x4 because they have some special brake line machine..(??) but I'd rather an actual hydraulic shop that isn't mystified by automotive do it.

Kenny_McCormic
9/25/15 11:48 p.m.

Some poking about rock auto indicates they are probably both Saginaw power steering pumps. Does the fitting that screws into the back of the pump (the one you took a picture of) interchange?

This sort of stuff often didn't change much between 67 and 96, that Saginaw pump is prolific, everybody used them.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/15 11:49 p.m.

A few hours south of you, but this is my go to place: http://nwtubesnhoses.com

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/26/15 12:43 p.m.

Those guys would do the trick, but it'd suck to drive 6 hours roundtrip just for a hose. Maybe I'll call them next week to see if I could do a shipment.

Would it be easier to buy a stock 16mm o/18mm o hose and convert the chuck-side 16mm to the 1/4 female SAE flare maybe?

I'm still stumped at there not being some little magic brass nugget for this...

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/26/15 1:41 p.m.

I did something similar to what you are doing. I put the fitting from a 79 Saginaw pump into a 92 Saginaw pump, direct fit, hose problem eliminated. You may be able to swap the 67 fitting into the Magnum pump as well, worth a shot to try it.

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/26/15 6:17 p.m.

Nope, the nut threads and female flare were cast into the pump body. Less parts! Thanks Mopar :P

edit: idea - could I just get an OE pressure hose (junkyard) and have the what's-this-thang hydro shop join the pump half of the OE pressure hose to the box half of my original hose? Is that a thing?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/26/15 7:17 p.m.

A hydro shop could change the end of your hose to fit the pump. I would check with them first to see if you need the other hose. They may have the end already.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/15 8:32 p.m.

And, if it's not a complete PITA, be sure to take your pump in to the hydro shop with you, it doesn't matter whether it's an auto or industrial shop if you can walk in and say, "I need this to hook up to this, and it needs to handle 3k psi or whatever your pump puts out)."

Kenny_McCormic
9/26/15 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Secret_Chimp:

That's a thing you can do, they should be able to crimp in a splice, assuming the hoses match well enough.

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/28/15 12:08 p.m.

I think that's the ticket... heck I can get a brand new hose for $15. I'll head back to the shop this week and hopefully I'll be set. This is my last make-it-fit part aside from trimming my battery tray.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
9/28/15 12:55 p.m.

When I converted my 240SX to the Electrohydraulic unit from an MR2 I brought the factory Toyota hose and factory Nissan hose to a hydraulic hose shop and told them to splice them.

It cost $70 for them to custom make a longer hose with my fittings.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
9/28/15 1:27 p.m.

rockauto tells me that a 96 Dodge uses a regular Saginaw pump, which means that a fitting from a Saginaw pump in a GM car or truck from back in the 70's will screw right into it, allowing you to use your stock 3/8" flared pressure line.

Kenny_McCormic
9/28/15 3:24 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

OP claims his pump has a cast in fitting, though some of the replacements on rock auto don't. He could probably recore the reservoir with any old GM serpentine belt pump and do what you (and I, earlier) said though. Or make a franken pump by putting the serpentine shaft/pulley in the old pump and putting that in the new reservoir.

It is however, easier to just splice the two hoses and should cost less than a rebuild kit needed to make any sort of franken pump. Around me you can even have that sort of work done at the hardware store.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
9/29/15 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

his original old pump had the built in fitting: he has a pic in the OP of the fitting that he took out of the Magnum pump... it looks like a regular Saginaw fitting, which means that he can just replace it with one from a 70's GM car or truck that uses a regular flare fitting on a 3/8" line. i think i have a couple buried out in the garage somewhere.

Kenny_McCormic
9/29/15 1:35 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

My mistake, yeah, that'd be easy, go to the pick and pull with a wrench and a dollar.

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
9/29/15 2:24 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: rockauto tells me that a 96 Dodge uses a regular Saginaw pump, which means that a fitting from a Saginaw pump in a GM car or truck from back in the 70's will screw right into it, allowing you to use your stock 3/8" flared pressure line.

Nope, Saginaws on GMs use 5/8, not 3/8. I tried going down that route but the flare size was always wrong.

I ended up buying a whole new hose assembly for 15 bucks rather than risk further disappointment at a yard. The hyd shop was able to spec me a hose with the new pump end and my old box end for $50-70. As a bonus I'll have JIC swivels on both ends which will make keeping it away from the exhaust manifold easier.

So much for a $20 quickie splice, but I don't know what I was expecting living around this part of town :P

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/29/15 2:37 p.m.

Get a hose that fits the pump. Get a hose that fits the box. Measure the diameter of the steel tube- it will likely be 3/8", but the newer one could be 10mm. Cut the tubes somewhere convenient, leaving an inch of straight tube. Screw the fittings in their respective homes, and measure how long the hose needs to be. Take that measurement to a hydraulic shop, and ask them to make you a pressure hose with 3/8" (or 10mm) compression fittings. Go home, assemble, clock correctly, celebrate.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wz2nI6jLJLbGvKTdOTT7zmbAktE8ZaO2BSht3iGThAIBqSTqqOP0axRWC2tGGTy6