1 2
_
_ Reader
8/27/18 5:05 p.m.

Just wanting to know if it was done, I just saw one. I thought it would be an interesting build since it looks like a POS, but looks like it might be a little light. 

Name suggestion: Postal Whipped. 

Or the Low Life Vernacular. LLV. 

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
8/27/18 6:07 p.m.

Going Postal

Grumman LLV is based on a 1982 Chevy S-10 chassis, seems like that would make the possibilities for part swapping would be practically endless.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/27/18 6:13 p.m.

I looked into them a bit. Turns out that because some people who control congress have a whole starve the beast attitude that involves sabotaging any major government function that they'd prefer to drive into private hands, the USPS basically hasn't been allowed to make any major fleet purchases to replace their 30+yo LLVs. I mean, i hate the other side too, but don't count on picking up any cheap LLVs at auction any time soon.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/27/18 6:13 p.m.

I wanted to. 

I was gonna called it “Speedy Delivery”, and dress like Mr. McFeely:

...even if he does have a creepy name. 

_
_ Reader
8/27/18 6:38 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

LMFAO. That sounds even better

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/27/18 7:14 p.m.
SVreX said:

I wanted to. 

That is awesome. 

Name may be creepy, but that was Fred Rogers’ middle name and his mother’s maiden name IRRC

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
8/27/18 7:57 p.m.

Front axle is narrower than the rear so handling is good.  Acceleration is super slow.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/27/18 8:21 p.m.
SVreX said:

I wanted to. 

Now if you showed up at some random cruise night/car show driving an LLV and also dressed to look like creepy McFeely, you’d either be on something or onto something.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 8:48 p.m.

In reply to drainoil :

He could always get one of those creepy crying toddler dolls & dress it up like him. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 9:28 p.m.

One of those plus a c5 drive train has been on my to do list for a long time. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/27/18 9:48 p.m.

My dream includes a V12 Packerd engine with a supercharger........

And I'm done. Night.

Paul

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/18 10:05 p.m.

So if it is based on an S10, a v8 will fit...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 10:24 p.m.

Everything will fit if you have a plasma cutter and a welder.  

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/18 10:25 p.m.

Yup.  They basically took an 82 S10 with a 2.5L and dropped a mail truck body on it.

Do it.  That's a dare.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/18 10:32 p.m.

When I lived in Florida, LLVs would somehow popup on Craigslist for about Challenge money.

Besides sharing lots of drivetrain components with the S10, didn't they have an aluminum body?

I'd name mine "Hot Box".

EDIT: Google never fails to deliver.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/28/18 7:24 a.m.

It seems like the perfect vehicle for a 455/toronado trans in the rear.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/28/18 7:59 a.m.

Vigo and I have chatted about this. We both think it's a good plan if either of us could find a suitable cheap shell to start with. I don't think either of us are looking very hard.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
8/28/18 8:03 a.m.

Saw this at a Vdub show last year.  Strangely interesting?

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
8/29/18 12:01 a.m.
84FSP said:

Saw this at a Vdub show last year.  Strangely interesting?

That is an FFV, slightly different

_
_ Reader
8/29/18 12:10 a.m.

It’d be completely crazy, but imagine a post office worker showing up to the challenge IN the LLV. In uniform, tape over the name tag. Run the cones, drag it, concourse and chat. Then he/she leaves, with no name ever given... a legend we would tell grandkids about! 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/18 7:46 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to drainoil :

He could always get one of those creepy crying toddler dolls & dress it up like him. 

Or dress like Mr. McFeely and fill the back of the van to the top with those dolls.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
8/29/18 11:19 a.m.

I spent seven years as a Post Office mechanic prior to making the jump to the fire service. 

The LLV is a good solid truck which was designed for a 15 years life span. Here we are now with the earliest ones exceeding 30 years old. 

The best of the bunch were the mid year 93 through 94 ones. They have the 2.2 engine. 

You can always tell the year of a mail truck by looking at the truck number over the windshield. The first number is the year, ex 7931102 would be an 87 model, 0827306 would be a 1990, 4311304 would be a 94 model..etc. They built LLVs from 1987-1994.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
8/29/18 12:03 p.m.

I was recently a Mail Carrier and kinda liked my LLV, I was in Panarama City and most of our fleet still had the remnants of the Olympic stickers on them. One of our drivers totaled a LLV and they replaced it with a FFV (Flex Fuel Vehicle) that was based on a Ford ranger. I much preferred my LLV.

I still have all my uniforms if someone does decide to do this.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/18 12:47 p.m.

https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/d/retired-mail-truck/6675443170.html

One for sale in Salem, OR for $950.

Someone needs to make this happen!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/29/18 12:53 p.m.

I'm not sure if this is real or some sort of Internet hoax, but how about trying to recreate this?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
errHpzQTSPprhs5mjyoMObBGlu8PP9UQuhK9Vcs70doWExL0NrhC8HARfcnfKMkM