1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/17/14 3:03 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Transvers mount the jag motor midships. . No clue how to make anything else work but why not.

Daewuki made a transverse inline six in their Verano.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/17/14 3:22 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I know someone that put a 240Z motor in a GT6. Personally, I'd go for something modern like a BMW 6, or even a Supra, IS300 6.

Yeah. What a GT6 really needs is a 7MGTE with the boost cranked. And the original Triumph rear end. And transmission and U joints. On slicks at a drag strip. I would pay to watch that.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
12/17/14 5:52 p.m.

This ^^

Bring an eye shield (for flying shrapnel) and a rake (to get the bits and pieces of trans/UJ/diff off the road).

erohslc
erohslc Dork
12/17/14 5:59 p.m.
irish44j wrote:

GT6 has a good bit of room under the bonnet actually. Plus with the full clamshell bonnet you have a lot of room to work with and no bodywork in the way. Here's an overhead of mine:

Plus the Spitfire doesn't use a trans tunnel, just a fiberboard transmission cover.
So the 'firewall' is just a flat piece of sheet metal between the footwells with a U shaped hole for the tranny.
Easy to shove the motor back into the cabin.
Done with stock GT6 motors to help weight distribution, but also handy for 'swaps' that are too long.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/17/14 6:04 p.m.

I'm thinking a Ford/Mazda motor like the 2.0 out of an MX-5 and whatever transmission seems to make the most sense. Should drop the weight of the nose and be easier to package. After that it's time to fix the rear suspension. And then up front maybe you can somehow address the various problems with the steering.

Or just buy an MX-5 and a hard top and be done.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
12/18/14 8:04 a.m.

Dumb idea, which means someone has probably done it.

As pointed out, there are many far more sensible and effective engine candidates for a GT6 swap. But few are as attractive.

A friend owns an MG TD that had been pretty much gutted. He is looking at putting a Jaguar 2.4 engine into it, basically because of the look. For those that don't know what that is, it is a version of the Jag 3.4 that was destroked (it is oversquare) and used in 1950s/60s sedans. The highest output the factory ever claimed was 133 bhp, but people don't care because they look so cool.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/18/14 10:46 a.m.

Nothing sounds like a straight six at full chat.

Putting a bigger engine in a car brings up the "Allard Problem" or can the rest of the drive train stand the extra power.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/18/14 12:12 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: I know someone that put a 240Z motor in a GT6. Personally, I'd go for something modern like a BMW 6, or even a Supra, IS300 6.
Yeah. What a GT6 really needs is a 7MGTE with the boost cranked. And the original Triumph rear end. And transmission and U joints. On slicks at a drag strip. I would pay to watch that.

No one said it had to last more than the first 18.6 feet!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/18/14 12:22 p.m.

Alright.... now I'm having bad thoughts of that Daewoo/GM I6 and mounting it in something like a Miata for giggles. Add ITB's for hoon status

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/18/14 1:33 p.m.

Found a pic of a V12 Jag engine err 'fitted' to one.

Even more cool points, how about a gas turbine powered spitfire?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
60CoDU9wb6JjNMEFsUI2fjxN6aZHadsB1vMQdoBm3lKlneJpAY0JcMA0JVnun95c