1 2
Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
10/7/20 7:08 p.m.

I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. Truly hideous. I'd rather drive that POS Homer Simpson designed. I'd rather a yugo. I'd rather a Dan Rather. 
I saw one on the road today in flat black. The top of the line S series. I actually thought it was one of those home brew cars like some gambler 500 pile. When I got closer I puked. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/20 7:18 p.m.

not a fan of the "coupe" style SUVs in general (including the BMW ones) but the GLE is probably the ugliest of the bunch. There are more than a few around here and no matter what trim or color, they're all ugly. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/7/20 7:26 p.m.

Revolting 

wae
wae UltraDork
10/7/20 7:35 p.m.

It'll probably spin a bearing or snap a head bolt, too.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/7/20 7:41 p.m.

I see silicon valley money driving the CoupeUVs all around Tahoe in the winter. I still feel the X6 has the worst proportions, especially when viewed from the rear.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
10/7/20 8:02 p.m.

I like Mercedes but that thing looks like someone shortened the wheelbase in p-shop but didn't keep the aspect ratio.  Rather horrid.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
10/7/20 8:02 p.m.

MB, BMW, Porsche now (Cayenne coupe), all are unexcusable.   I'm not an Audi fanboy, but props to them for continuing to show restraint in that area.   

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/7/20 8:10 p.m.

I'd drive it

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
10/7/20 8:40 p.m.

It's got wide meat, 600hp, the face of a shar pei, and the ass of an 80's swimsuit model. Abortion can't even describe this. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
10/8/20 8:05 a.m.

Another clue into the whereabouts of the Aztek design team and their plot to kill all of us.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 8:26 a.m.

This whole class of vehicle is completely useless and 100% the result of design by marketing committee.

The fact that the engineering department can make them work anyway does nothing to forgive their existence.   Everything about them is based on fundamentally conflicting compromises.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/8/20 8:54 a.m.

looks like an X6 but done my MB

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/20 9:11 a.m.

I don't understand how they're still in business.  Seriously.  Their business model since about 1992 has been taking their 100 years of experience building amazing, luxurious, reliable, top-price vehicles, and turned it into insane complexity, multiple failures, horrible resale value, impossible maintenance cost, and unobtainium parts.

They went from the smartest investment you could make if you had respectable money into a complete circus of "I know this will spend more time in the shop than on the road, and it will lose 60% of its value in 5 years, but I'm rich and I want to flaunt how disposable my income is by driving a 5000-lb gas guzzling waste of tarmac that even Richard Hammond would crash.... intentionally."

Mercedes was always known for its engineering.  Now it's just known for bling.

Last year when I was looking for a Jaguar, I found an S63 AMG for sale.  Benz's $200k flagship.  It had 100k miles, it was 5 years old, and they guy couldn't get $14k for it.  It had a leaking radiator, and a replacement was $1400.  A savvy buyer would also note that it would likely need converters soon which are $600 each TIMES FOUR.  Far cry from a W124 that could easily log 300k before it needed so much as a fuel pump for $30.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 9:53 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

[Mercedes] went from the smartest investment you could make if you had respectable money into a complete circus of "I know this will spend more time in the shop than on the road, and it will lose 60% of its value in 5 years, but I'm rich and I want to flaunt how disposable my income is by driving a 5000-lb gas guzzling waste of tarmac that even Richard Hammond would crash.... intentionally."

See also:  Any G-wagen built in the last 15 years.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
10/8/20 10:50 a.m.
chandler said:

I'd drive it

...but would not want to be seen in it.

Limo tint FTW

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/8/20 11:27 a.m.

Haven't you heard?  Ugly is the new beautiful.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/8/20 11:32 a.m.
fanfoy said:
chandler said:

I'd drive it

...but would not want to be seen in it.

Limo tint FTW

I'm not picky, I'll drive anything fun. My daily is a 32 year old six cylinder powered coupe needing body work and paint. What's the difference? From the drivers seat it will be fine.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/8/20 11:44 a.m.

I don't understand the CUV thing either. So I won't buy one. 

I really don't have any positive or negative feelings to it, just "Meh, if people like it, good for them."

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) Dork
10/8/20 11:59 a.m.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/8/20 12:03 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Haven't you heard?  Ugly is the new beautiful.

Then why am I still single?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/8/20 12:22 p.m.
Duke said:

This whole class of vehicle is completely useless and 100% the result of design by marketing committee.

The fact that the engineering department can make them work anyway does nothing to forgive their existence.   Everything about them is based on fundamentally conflicting compromises.

I'm trying to imagine the sort of conversation that led to this.

"We need an all-conquering V8 powered sports coupe!"

"But buyers are going to hate getting into the back seat. Can we make it a four door? But it has to still be a coupe."

"And our older buyers are complaining they don't want to crouch down to get in the car."

"And can this one have a high view of traffic so you can see over minivans?"

"But don't forget that it needs to be a sports coupe! And still do all that!"

On the other hand, AMG's commitment to make a deranged high performance model out of practically anything that Mercedes builds whether it makes sense or not is kind of admirable.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/8/20 12:34 p.m.

1) what is with the "coupe" moniker on 4-door vehicles? I hate it. 

2) All of these things from the German Big 3 look like cartoonish Florida gopher tortoises

3) They all seem to run high 11 second 1/4 miles according to journos - still doesn't make them cool, much like Teslas. 

4) People are buying them, proving that the Aztek was a head of its time. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/8/20 12:45 p.m.

Do not want MB monstrosity. Do want gopher tortoise.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/8/20 12:59 p.m.
Duke said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

[Mercedes] went from the smartest investment you could make if you had respectable money into a complete circus of "I know this will spend more time in the shop than on the road, and it will lose 60% of its value in 5 years, but I'm rich and I want to flaunt how disposable my income is by driving a 5000-lb gas guzzling waste of tarmac that even Richard Hammond would crash.... intentionally."

See also:  Any G-wagen built in the last 15 years.

Personally I like the G-wagon. This not even a little bit.

calteg
calteg Dork
10/8/20 1:04 p.m.

Ugly? Sure

Really I'm just mad that it's much faster than 98% of the cars I've ever owned

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
onxg9DkUksbwLLmOCXK5h0Y9mYpu6etuK7UjQc0YI0oPDStBgyAKdjRsXa259Coz