1 2 3 4
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/15 8:38 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: For some reason my childhood dream car was a Fiero Formula. I've since come to my senses.

(one of) mine too. Had one for a few years and really liked it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/15 8:39 p.m.

I have owned an Mk1 MR2, still waiting on the Eagle Talon TSi and Subaru STi, not holding my breath for the Ferrari GTO or Porsche 959.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
12/14/15 8:39 p.m.

My childhood dream car was a 2003 or 2004 mustang gt in black or silver. Doesn't really interest me anymore but I do own another dream car. My 95 m3. I also always wanted to own a vintage car and got that checked of with my fiat spider.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/15 8:40 p.m.

Of course, when I was much younger, there was only one car that I dreamed of...

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/14/15 8:41 p.m.

Never meet your heroes. They can not possibly live up to what you built up in your head.

I have owned my dream car (Porsche) but I no longer own it.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/15 8:41 p.m.

First car I remember really lusting after was the Mercedes CLK-GTR. 25 made, not likely going to happen. I did however manage to get a e36 M3, which was pretty high up on the list.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
12/14/15 8:57 p.m.

Saw my childhood dream car in the back of someone's garage. Mowed lawns till I had enough money to get them to sell it to me and bought it. Drove it almost every day I could and raced it occasionally till I couldn't get in and out because I outgrew it. Sold it when I needed money to buy my first street car, a 7 Y/O 68 Camaro.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/scan%20pics/Scan_Pic0001.jpg.html][/URL]

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
12/14/15 9:19 p.m.

I always wanted a 67 Vette Convertible with a 427/435 Hp. 4 spd.

No I have never owned one and considering what they go for at Barrett-Jackson and such, I don't think I ever will.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/14/15 9:26 p.m.

Wanted this car so bad when I was a kid. All thanks to this ad:

I bought one, years later. It was a dog, an absolute dog. Then I learned that Firebirds are a Camaro that's all grown up. Trans-Ams have everything you need to add to a Camaro. More power, better suspension, aero package that works.

I bought this:

Better in every way, still not great but better.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/15 9:31 p.m.

Yeah, 1987 Buick Grand National. It had its moments. I think it would have been better if I owned one now than back when I bought it in 1998. I needed more money and/or mechanical wherewithal at the time to really make it what I wanted it to be.

Trans_Maro wrote: Wanted this car so bad when I was a kid. All thanks to this ad: I bought one, years later. It was a dog, an absolute dog. Then I learned that Firebirds are a Camaro that's all grown up. Trans-Ams have everything you need to add to a Camaro. More power, better suspension, aero package that works. I bought this: Better in every way, still not great but better.

Nice, love that TTA. I always wanted the 89 version.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/14/15 9:39 p.m.

Hold out for a cheap LT1...but don't buy a total basket case like me...it's like meeting your hero drunk..addicted to heroine...it ain't pretty...but still knows how to party...seriously I've seen NICE LT1s for 5k-9k auto-stock difference...that's stupid money...L98s are less...we need to start a mullet club...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/15 9:40 p.m.

Form the time that I was four years old, I was in love with early Mustangs.

By the time that I was in high school, there was no subject that I knew more about than Mustangs.

I've owned two '65 Mustangs. They were great at being Mustangs, but they sucked at being cars.

Fortunately, I started paying attention to Porsches when I was in seventh grade. That experience has turned out to be much more satisfying for me.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/14/15 9:40 p.m.

Everyone thought the original TTA was awful but it was the baddest thing you could get from Detroit in 1980/1981. 345 lb/ft of torque.

Like all 1st gen turbo systems, nobody took the time to understand how they work. They just swapped it out for a 4-barrel when it went wrong.

11lbs of boost, a recurved distributor and a bigger exhaust made a huge difference to that car.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
12/14/15 9:42 p.m.

As a tiny little kid, always liked the 64 Impalas, and the Datsun Z-cars (one was about 10 years old at the time, one was new) - the lust for both subsided when a few years later Smokey & The Bandit came out.

I've owned three early body Z's (love them, think I want another but not sure...), and for a while I kept my buddy's 77 Trans-Am.

Loved the C4 Vette when it came out, drove one once, not sure it's a "me" car, but still love the look of them. I could probably grow in to it being a "me" car. I've thought about picking up a Vette at some point, though c5, but not the lust of my youth, wonder if I'd really want to do a C5 or not. Love the C6 Z06, probably not happening.

Never wanted a Miata, but always wanted a convertible 2-seat six cylinder sports car. Drove the Z3; stock, lacked a little pizzaz (I think the NC was an all around better "test drive"). Figured I'd "settle" for a convertible 2-seat sports car, thus the Miata. But, the Miata has seriously, seriously grown on me such that it's become a car I'd want to own after I've now owned one. If that makes sense.

A little Vette love:

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/14/15 10:00 p.m.

Yes, twice.

When I was a kid, I had two posters on my wall: One was a red Porsche 930 Turbo, and the other was a red Lamborghini Countach. I liked looking at those, but the two cars I really, really wanted were a 3rd Gen Camaro Z28 and a 1979 Trans Am. My parents had two friends that had Z28's that I used to ride around in, and a cousin also had an IROC, and I felt so cool when I was in those cars. And my Trans Am desire came from seeing one of my older cousin's friend's older brother trolling the beach every summer in his blue 1979 Trans Am. Everyone thought he was the coolest because of that car.

I eventually bought a 1983 Z28, but I only had it for about 6 months. I sold it after getting my 1979 Trans Am. I still want another clean 3rd Gen Camaro.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
12/14/15 10:01 p.m.

No

And no.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
12/14/15 10:08 p.m.

My dream car was a Stingray. Got a '64 in '67. I believe the car had a Bob Costas magnet, or maybe it just helped me develop my charming personality & youthful good looks. 38 years later I could use another car with one of those magnets.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/15 10:16 p.m.

My automotive ADD is not the adult onset variety.

The first car that I actually spent time with an option sheet on, seriously considering the build, was an '89 Ford Probe. I have not yet owned one, though I know to this day that the GT has a higher drag coefficient due to larger tires.

I really liked the Fiero GT as a kid, and I owned one as my second car. Never meet your heros, folks. This one was a basket case that smoked like a salmon, and went through oil faster than gas.

Still no Lamborghini Countach. I think these all belong to internet billionaires who got more interesting things done with their Apple ][es while I was watching MTV.

I might yet own an SVX. I remember putting a lot of time into considering the options on Prodigy Online, JUMPword: subaru.

I doubt I'll ever own a General Lee.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/15 10:28 p.m.

I now own my A#1 childhood dream car, thanks to Duke. I've actually been driving it to work recently. Shown here with parents sharing in the joy of a test ride.

I have also owned another of my dream cars; 62 Caddy Deville. I lost it on a bet in Las Vegas. Not kidding. Two throws on a roulette and she was gone (but fortunately to a really good friend.

As far as the rest, they were mostly unobtanium. When I was young the majority of dream cars were experimental, exotic, or concepts. I still want to own a Ferrari and a Delorean. Here are the ones I want, and you'll see why I haven't owned them yet; because I'm not made of money.

E-type, of course.

Vector W8

Ferrari Daytona Spyder

DB4-C touring convertible

Ferrari 365 GT4

Esprit S4S

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
12/14/15 10:34 p.m.

My uncle gave me a ride in a Lotus Super 7 when I was 8 years old - I've wanted one ever since.

I completed my Locost Super 7 in 2006, and this is the first year I have not insured it.

Turned out my uncle's 7 was a Fejer replica anyway, but still, I've always wanted a 7.

Now I want a Bill Thomas Cheetah....

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
12/14/15 10:39 p.m.

I didn't have an interest in cars until I was out of my childhood, sad panda.
I've a number of cars on my bucket list, but nothing really unobtainable...
All that's left is 'something with t-tops', something rotary powered, Datsun 510, and something that runs 10's.
And yes, most of those could be covered by one car.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
12/14/15 11:44 p.m.

Other than a Ferrari F50 my dream car was a Viper GTS, owned one for a year. All the power and capability that one could imagine. Not a fan of the attention of driving one. Was a 97 so no ABS, only slid to a stop at a traffic light once. Much happier driving a new mustang gt now.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
12/15/15 4:02 a.m.

My first dream car was my dad's International Harvester Scout II. I still miss that thing and I never understood why Dad let it die. Seriously, it had a bad dizzy ...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/15/15 4:34 a.m.
EricM wrote: Never meet your heroes. They can not possibly live up to what you built up in your head.

+1. Other than cartoon fantasies (I also wanted a Mach V when I was 6), my first "real" dream car was a '69 Dodge Charger (General Lee). Then in 1990 I had the opportunity to buy a 383BB/AT replica and test-drove it. Wow, what a terrible car to drive, even by 1990 standards (my car at the time was a '82 Subaru GL 4WD wagon). It was fast - in a straight line - but anything that even resembled a corner was sketchy as hell. Even if taken at low speeds. While I wish I would have bought it (mainly because at $2200 is was so cheap compared to what a running Charger goes for these days), I am also fairly certain I would have wrecked it as a 20 year old who barely knew how to drive. Since that test drive, the idea of Pro Touring cars has been in my mind. I really wanted that car (and still do) but in a form that will go around a corner at a reasonable speed.

As far as actually owning a car I lusted after - yes. In 1991 I went to the Auto Show with some friends. I was in the Acura area and fell in love with the 2nd gen Integra. 5 years later, I would buy one that would serve as my DD for the next 6 years and 150K miles until the body started falling apart. I wish I still had that car. I would have kept it as a AX/track car.

Andy Neuman wrote: Not a fan of the attention of driving one.

It's funny... while I'm pretty much an introvert, I don't really mind my cars getting attention. It's rare when I drive my classic Mini around and don't get some reaction to it. Similar with the GT6 and Spitfire.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/15/15 5:52 a.m.

I have yet to own big foot, a firetruck, the a team gmc, the general lee, or k.i.t.t..

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5p57nVgjS5RLfpTVTZWfJPrlXx7dCuN5qYEX6gRdAWdvqSA085aoOB3PZtbQ8OMY