1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/12/11 11:16 a.m.
Chebbie_SB wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
Chebbie_SB wrote: I would like to see a smaller start-up with fresh ideas...
agreed...especially when Diesel or Turbo Diesel is involved...
If the fresh ideas lead to something, I'm sure OEM's would be very interested.
The question is whether Big Oil or USA Motors would ever let it see the light of day...

If Ford could make the F150 or GM the 1500 get 5-10 mpg, and cost less to build, they could make billions on that.

As for some kind of collusion, I'm pretty sure GM is waiting for their profit sharing check from Exxon- the year GM lost over $10B, and Exxon reported over $40B in profit.

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/14/11 10:11 a.m.

Has anyone seen this Turbo-Diesel? Are you sure about that? It takes years of research and lots of funding to come up with good fuel-efficient engines. Marketing gimmick guys...

scs
scs New Reader
2/22/11 11:23 p.m.

as the guy who wrote the story on the first post -- as as someone who has seen the car under the cover (if you like the Prius coupe shown at Chicago, you'll love the Avera-or-whatever-it-will-be-called, which i saw before the Toyota came out), I can tell you that whoever "Joe Johnson" is, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/23/11 7:16 a.m.

Like Prius...exactly what I mean. Why do you need another Prius using our money. Space Florida is again spending $1 million on this Avera company to build 3 electric cars.
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110219/BUSINESS/102190306/Space-Florida-buys-into-tech

Did you notice that they have been around for about 2 years now and have 8-10 employees, getting local funds and keeping their lights on; they do not have even 1 employee from Brevard county? Beats me.

ckinyon
ckinyon
7/25/11 1:08 p.m.

In reply to joejohnson:

Most of my friends own one or more Porsche's and are looking for a car more like the 73RS, with a Carbon tub, Ford V-6 with 300+HP total weight 2000#'s. That would be fun!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/25/11 1:59 p.m.

will those porsches carry a canoe in back?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/11 4:38 p.m.
internetautomart wrote: Avera in Hebrew means sin. not exactly the connotation one wants for a "green" car

They changed their name: http://www.rivian.com/

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/11 5:43 p.m.

well, seems as if they have a designer on board who did work on the McLaren F1, Lotus Elan and Esprit, and the LeMans-1999 winning BMW, so I'm hoping that means good things about the progress of the company, and if it does, I have a feeling this car might be VERY entertaining to drive. wonder how it might do in autocross or trackdays, or even in the new B-spec class? just thinking out loud...

Katy
Katy
11/16/11 1:50 p.m.

He dupped the voting committee into thinking he was "hiring displaced NASA workers." Look at who makes up the 10-20 staff members? Friends, buddies and buddies of friends. He received 10 million from the failed stimulus plan (can you say Solyndra). He and his friends will be rich working on something that will fail. Our country was founded on starting business with your OWN brains and captial...not funded by taxpayers. Sad...when it fails, they all walk away rich. Way to rip us off R.J. and Space Coast. Way to go.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/16/11 2:00 p.m.

why a zombie thread on your first post? Feels canoeish to me....

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
11/16/11 2:06 p.m.

I've noticed a few things about car companies, and the big one is "car X is expected to cost about $25,000" translates to "car X is on target to sell for $37,000". Car companies, like governments, NEVER come in on or under budget.

The not so big one? Looking at what is currently selling for around $25,000, there's no way a start-up company will produce anything but a "green" golf car at that price point.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/11 12:43 p.m.

Some more press for Rivian. From a recent Florida Trend article.

Even the local economic developers on the Space Coast who are rooting mightly for R.J. Scaringe to succeed acknowledge what one called a "giggle factor" in the notion that the 28-year-old engineer can start an automobile manufacturing company from scratch along the Indian River in Brevard County.

Granted, Scaringe (pronounced ska-RINJ) has a lot going for him, including a solid engineering pedigree — his father, Robert P. Scaringe, runs a successful local firm, Mainstream

Engineering, that develops and sells high-tech generators and cooling systems to the government, military and NASA, including a refrigeration system used on the International Space Station.

And granted, R.J. Scaringe has significant credentials of his own. He graduated at the top of his class from Rensselaer Polytechnic in 2005. He went on to get a master's degree and Ph.D. in automotive engineering from MIT, studying at the Sloan Automotive Laboratory, where he and lab director Wai Cheng co-authored papers with titles like "On the High Load Limit of Boosted Gasoline HCCI Engine Operating in NVO mode."

Peter Stevens The car is a mid-engine coupe that aims to combine the handling of a Porsche Cayman with 60-mpg fuel economy.

The Designer: Peter Stevens Rivian has maintained an extremely low profile. One of the few exceptions came in June, when the company hired Peter Stevens, whose design credits include work for BMW, Jaguar, Lotus, General Motors, Volvo, MG-Rover and Subaru as well as Virgin Atlantic and Sunseeker Marine. Stevens created the body, interior and aerodynamics for the McLaren F1, which set a speed record (240 mph) for the fastest road car in the world in 1998. He also designed the BMW that won the 24-hour LeMans race in 1999. Stevens was named Automotive Designer of the Year by AutoCar magazine in 2002.

Why leave his home in England to work for a 28-year-old in Brevard County? Stevens says the idea of designing yet another super car held little allure. He had worked on a high-end electric sports car but believed that "we are not actually ready to be driving those" because of the car's limited range, recharging time and cost of batteries. At Rivian, he says, "we're looking for what you could call a degree of responsibility in the car, but at the same time an enormous amount of good fun."

Also in Scaringe's favor: His ambitions, while considerable, are restrained — he's not shooting to become the next Henry Ford with a mass-market model. Instead, he's aiming more modestly for a niche that his Rivian Automotive — a combination of "Indian" and "River" — plans to fill with a slick-handling, fuel-efficient sports coupe selling somewhere between 20,000 to 30,000 units a year initially.

Scaringe has even been able to assemble a top-shelf team, including design director Peter Stevens, an affable Englishman whose credits include the Jaguar XJR-15 and the McLaren F1; Adrian Elliot, a 17-year Ford materials scientist; and CFO Jim Thomas, former COO/CFO of Mapquest.

Scaringe's first prototype even got the benefit of a once-over from a group of NASA engineers who provided feedback on the car's engineering and structural strength. And he's been cautious about releasing any information about the car — a distinction among a group of startup carmakers that so far have traded more hype than automobiles.

But a car company? That, says almost everybody who knows the car business, will take some doing — regardless whether you're trying to do it in Florida, California or Detroit.

"Generally," building cars "is a way to lose money fast," says David E. Cole, chairman emeritus of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich. Cole wasn't asked to comment specifically about Rivian but to talk in general about obstacles for automotive entrepreneurs. "Very few people understand the complexity of all the rules, the regulations, the cost pressures. It's so far beyond what most people can fathom."

Cole says Samsung hired him as a consultant a decade ago when the industrial giant decided it needed to make cars along with televisions and refrigerators if it wanted to cement its status as a true global manufacturer. Even after partnering with Nissan on a tech and manufacturing center, Samsung "failed miserably," says Cole, who advised against the move. "They had no idea. You can get into this business rich and get unrich very fast."

There is more to the article, but it doesn't actually say all that much.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
12/27/11 1:03 p.m.

It may be possible.....I have stopped trying to predict what the general public will like or want (e.g. see Scion xB)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bC2toiBaMXgP7QWp9kSjA7ui5CdPFWFXGY0ILxdjH9tinAiVQdLgKsHyPKNSyWoN