JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/3/15 4:16 p.m.

I have finally gotten tired of driving my 280zx everyday and have now begun the search for more modern and reliable transportation. I think I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Early 2000s Focus SVT

Subaru outback wagon

Either would be found in manual because I want it to be somewhat fun to drive. What say the hivemind?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/3/15 5:06 p.m.

The Focus - I love Subaru's but an Outback is NOT an enthusiasts car.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
2/3/15 5:09 p.m.

Focus is my standard recommendation. The SVT is a great car to drive, reliable, and the interior has lots of room for people and stuff if that's a priority. The only issue is being patient enough to find one that's been taken good care of.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/3/15 5:24 p.m.

What is the gas mileage like on the svt?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
2/3/15 5:30 p.m.

Good but not great. Something like 25ish in town, 30+ on the highway. The SVT takes premium too.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
2/3/15 5:32 p.m.

A non SVT with the Zetec or better yet 2.3 Duratec is a fun car too.

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
2/3/15 5:37 p.m.

Yeah, Duratec is almost as fast as an SVT but runs on regular, just doesn't have the fancy suspension bits or the pretty wheels.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/3/15 5:38 p.m.

What years did they start the duratec? Im not really interested in the suspension bits just want something funish to drive on a daily basis.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
2/3/15 5:44 p.m.
JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/3/15 6:04 p.m.

Looks like I have some reading to do. One more questions that may seem unrelated (Im cross shopping different things): are there any trucks/suvs that could tow and be used as a dd that gets decent (above 16 in town) gas milaege?

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/4/15 11:47 a.m.

Well I have decided I want to get a tow vehicle that can function as a daily driver. Whats out there for around 4k that gets decent gas mileage and can tow a race prepped 240z on an open trailer?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/4/15 2:48 p.m.

Towing ability and good gas mileage do not typically go together.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/4/15 3:19 p.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: Well I have decided I want to get a tow vehicle that can function as a daily driver. Whats out there for around 4k that gets decent gas mileage and can tow a race prepped 240z on an open trailer?

You're best bet will be a mid-sized SUV with a V6 or a Colorado/Canyon. Think Ford Flex/Explorer, GMC Acadia/Chev Traverse, Durango/Grand Cherokee, etc.

Define "decent" - they are not great, they are still big vehicles. Our Explorer averages about 15 mpg (USG) with a lot of that just around town and in cold temps. I have seen close to 25 mpg on the highway. (Mileages converted from L/100km to MPG in US gallons.) All of the ones I listed, with a tow package, will tow 5k lbs. and I am not sure, but the Durango/GC maybe rated higher than that.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/15 3:22 p.m.

Get crew cab 4wd truck. You can get by with less or alternatives, but used crew cab 4wd trucks don't depreciate very fast and you can always sell it in an instant.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/4/15 3:26 p.m.

My vote is the nicest 4.8 Silverado/Sierra you can find at you price point.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/15 3:53 p.m.

pinchvalve
2/4/15 3:54 p.m.

pinchvalve
2/4/15 3:55 p.m.

$4,000. Oh wait, that is the weekly gas bill.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
2/4/15 4:00 p.m.

My standard recommendation for a dual purpose tow vehicle is a Gen 1 Lightning. They come in Red/Black/White, looks good for the age, and has decent performance for a 20 year old collector pick up. Just don't tow in OD, and you should be fine.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/4/15 4:03 p.m.

I've gotten 17 mpg towing ~4k lbs with several vehicles. How good of towing mpg are you really expecting?

I 2nd the 4.8 GM truck idea, or if you dont actually need half-ton capabilities, the field is pretty wide open.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/4/15 4:25 p.m.

Well SWMBO said no to the tow vehicle idea. So back to a warm/semi-hot hatch

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D715qGgmijQrs1zRVBY0jTouwLTd2UZvHBRpxp84vJoNVKTyoWBz9VJ5rloMdpxD