1 2
jrg77
jrg77 New Reader
3/22/10 3:37 a.m.

See, the Porsche bug bit a long time ago and lead to my last project that I didn't finish. I was all set to get one until I read a book that said a DIY engine rebuild was minimum $8k. For that much I could (and did) have a 500HP SBC. And any car that old is bound to need an engine rebuild with my luck. So now I am trying to stay away from projects and stay in my price range. Champagne tastes, generic pop money...

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
3/23/10 12:53 a.m.

How do you figure that honda's need timing belts at 60k? The book says 90k on a honda and 110k on a similar acura engine. If you go with the newer k-series and timing chain then you need forget about stretching it or ever have to replace it in the next 200k miles.

As for a car you don't spend alot on, and is easy to work on. How about the original VW bug?

Andrew

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/23/10 10:03 a.m.
digdug18 wrote: How do you figure that honda's need timing belts at 60k? The book says 90k on a honda and 110k on a similar acura engine. If you go with the newer k-series and timing chain then you need forget about stretching it or ever have to replace it in the next 200k miles.

I did an engine on a 108k mile Accord. The timing chain jumped a few teeth and bent a bunch of valves. Apparently, before this happened, it was a quart-every-500 car. It must've got worse before the big bang.

Yes, perfectly reliable...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
3/23/10 10:54 a.m.

Generally speaking all Italian and British cars are a bit high maintenance, if done correctly. Brit cars have more places to oil and grease tahn any car should have. And of course, some of the proper lubricants are difficult if not impossible to find. But a Brit car will usually run, even if poorly, unless you have let the smoke out of the wires.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/10 1:03 p.m.

generally the problem with any italian or brit car is that pesky smoke. As long as you can keep it in the wires, they run forever.

in comparison.. I had an X 1/9 that was given to me after it had sat for 5 years.. hooked up some jumper cables and it started right up (on the old fuel) and ran roughly, but worked. I cannot leave my saab sit 4 months without something siezing up

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/23/10 3:11 p.m.

High maintenance doesn't mean undriveable either. Just often means some things are wrong or broken. Dashboard gauge not working, some plastic bit broken off, window not moving, check engine light on, etc.

You can ignore a Toyota between oil changes for year after year. A Volvo won't let you do that. The Volvo is higher maintenance than the Toyota.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iK0ZjhDvpgobsUsxNSntX5NbUiJfO8MvCbqlkX8UAcH0hpGNsvWJeiq192TQJda6