1 2 3
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/27/20 2:11 p.m.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33678/us-bound-toyota-corolla-hot-hatch-will-offer-six-speed-manual-awd-report

Woohhooo should be a good one! 

•  268 horsepower 
  • 273 pound-feet of torque.
  • 6MT
  • AWD
  • 1.6L

Toyota reportedly won't limit the shared parts to the GR Yaris's engine, either; the Corolla Sport GRMN will reportedly mirror its smaller sibling by also offering a six-speed manual transmission and all-wheel drive.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/27/20 2:13 p.m.

Too many doors. 

Catatafish
Catatafish HalfDork
5/27/20 2:21 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Too many doors. 

Don't be silly.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/27/20 2:24 p.m.

It sure gets my stamp of approval. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/27/20 2:26 p.m.
Klayfish said:

Yeah I am looking forward to it. Hopefully the price isn't outrageous 

I miss my 10 MS3, and my 16 WRX. But I don't miss the junk quality. I don't want the CTR ugliness. So if Toyota can produce a quality product that is a hot hatch with a 6MT, would love it add it to the fleet

Catatafish
Catatafish HalfDork
5/27/20 2:31 p.m.

I hope lots of people buy these so I can get a used one in ten years. Good on Toyota for making an effort to make cool cars again. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/27/20 2:33 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Klayfish said:

Yeah I am looking forward to it. Hopefully the price isn't outrageous 

I miss my 10 MS3, and my 16 WRX. But I don't miss the junk quality. I don't want the CTR ugliness. So if Toyota can produce a quality product that is a hot hatch with a 6MT, would love it add it to the fleet

I think that's going to be a key.  Can Toyota make a hot hatch that can perform with (or even close to) other hot hatches on the market and yet still have the famed Toyota build quality? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/27/20 2:39 p.m.
Klayfish said:

I think that's going to be a key.  Can Toyota make a hot hatch that can perform with (or even close to) other hot hatches on the market and yet still have the famed Toyota build quality? 

Agree 100%.  I would say, they have the capability for sure. Whether they choose to do it, is another matter. For our sake, I hope they really do.

I like the current crop being made in Takaoka plant and Tsutsumi plant, unlike the mexican built low quality badge swapped yaris. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/27/20 2:40 p.m.

I'm listening.

Uh oh, I'm excited about a damn COROLLA. 2020 is weird. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/27/20 3:55 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Too many doors. 

Agreed.

So many cars are offered as 2 or 4  doors in other markets, but the US gets 4 doors only.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/20 4:09 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:
ShawnG said:

Too many doors. 

Agreed.

So many cars are offered as 2 or 4  doors in other markets, but the US gets 4 doors only.

I never understand that for two reasons. First two doors take up more room when they are open (longer door = wider) yet the US has much much larger parking spots than most other developed countries. Second people rarely travel in the back and the average American is larger than the average person anywhere else so you'd think bigger doors would be better. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/20 4:27 p.m.

What are the other hot hatches on the market right now? Veloster N, CTR, Golf R, and what else?

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/27/20 4:28 p.m.

The colors are right for Tofu Delivery. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/27/20 4:29 p.m.

I'm very curious about curb weight. 

Nevermind, I see the fwd version is north of 3000 lb.    If they managed to put this drivetrain in something and keep it under 2800lb, I'd purchase new. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/20 4:31 p.m.

its also going to have to be priced between the Veloster N and CTR. The loaded XSE Corolla hatch right now is $25k

OldGray320i (Forum Supporter)
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/27/20 4:34 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Too many doors. 

Agreed.

Even so, I do like it,  but I'm a hatch geek. 

Irritates me most mfgrs won't give us a 2 door.   Honda does...

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/20 4:35 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Too many doors. 

Agreed.

Probably has to do with the requirement to have separate crash testing/certifications done for each variant in the US - maybe that's not required in other countries? I know that's the reason a lot of other cars sold overseas are not sold here.

That said, when I'm overseas (anywhere from Germany to Vietnam to Italy) I tend to notice a HIGHER proportion of 4-door cars compared to 2-doors of the same model - especially since most other countries people don't just have an old SUV or pickup to haul stuff/people and so they use their regular cars for damn near everything - and 4 doors are more practical. No support of actual metrics for that, just my own observation.

It's actually kind of comical how many 4-door near-micro hatchbacks you see overseas (think Honda Fit, but even smaller but still with 4 doors). 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/20 4:44 p.m.
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) 

Irritates me most mfgrs won't give us a 2 door.   Honda does...

Civic Si is sedan or coupe though. Type R looks too stupid to be considered as anything but a joke. Now, Type R running gear in a real three door hatch that wasn't designed by a third grader on LSD would be a thing of beauty and wonder. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/27/20 4:50 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm very curious about curb weight. 

Nevermind, I see the fwd version is north of 3000 lb.    If they managed to put this drivetrain in something and keep it under 2800lb, I'd purchase new. 

Agree, as much as I like light weight, it isn't happening with this car. 

to get under the weight you mentioned, toyota has to put this motor in the Yaris, which they confirmed they won't in the USA, as no one buys the Yaris 

the corolla will be 3060 now, probably more with awd. The other platform this motor will go in is the CHR which is 3,300 lb 

rough calculations, my GSR sedan is 15.88hp/lb and is a hoot to drive. 

my wrx and ms3 were both about 12.5hp/lb. 

if toyota can do 11-12hp/lb, it will be a fun drive in that price point 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 4:51 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Many of the roads are smaller outside of the US and don't easily support larger vehicles.

Also there are taxes based around engine size and purchase price, so smaller more versatile vehicles tend to get the nod over larger and fancier vehicles.

That is unless you have "berkeley it" money, but even then people like Jeremy Clarkson roll around in a GTi unless they are borrowing someone else's rig.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 4:52 p.m.

Also, as someone with a FoRS, I can say that it's nice to see Toyota jumping into the hole that Ford dug with the Focus.  Hopefully they can fill it instead of digging it deeper.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/27/20 4:59 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I never understand that for two reasons. First two doors take up more room when they are open (longer door = wider) yet the US has much much larger parking spots than most other developed countries. Second people rarely travel in the back and the average American is larger than the average person anywhere else so you'd think bigger doors would be better. 

I hate 2 door versions of 4 door cars.

Bigger doors are worse when you are bigger, because to achieve the same entry aperture, the door needs to open further from the car.  I.E. same angle, but extend futher out.

I am not a big person, but I hate the driver's side door of my Veloster.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/27/20 5:18 p.m.

It almost pains me to say that I like the styling of the current corolla. A good manual and that would fix a lot of problems, but if the engine is lifeless I don't care how much power it makes. Unfortunately, I can't think of a current Toyota engine that isn't lifeless. That and I highly doubt they'll do anything worthwhile to the suspension. i really want to believe that Toyota still knows how to make a good fun car, but I think they'll always choose easy sales over pleasing enthusiasts. Sad stuff. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/27/20 6:02 p.m.

Is it grounded to the ground?

I've been a Toyota fanboy for a long time. I've owned many sporty Corollas. They've all been 2-doors. This car does nothing for me visually.

If someone else likes it, cool. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SptQU6gjFuQwustEX6y3FwraA5DrfEgdPTv16HMlGT1hpFQVTMTHbelEUIGVO7Co