JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/22/23 8:00 a.m.
feature_image

Thank you, Toyota. Thanks for making such a modular set of drivetrain bits that a transmission from decades ago is adaptable to an engine design still in use today. That certainly saved us a lot of hassle when it came to assembling the components needed to fit a 2GR-FE V6 into our 1991 MR2.

While not a total bolt-together …

Read the rest of the story

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/23 8:57 a.m.

I'm really enjoying this project series. It's literally everything I've been researching and planning for my 2GR Lotus Europa, except you're actually doing it and taking awesome pictures along the way. 

...will the MR2 be ready by Challenge time? Would be awesome to see two 2GR-swapped cars there - one on a budget and one done correctly.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/22/23 11:01 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'm really enjoying this project series. It's literally everything I've been researching and planning for my 2GR Lotus Europa, except you're actually doing it and taking awesome pictures along the way. 

...will the MR2 be ready by Challenge time? Would be awesome to see two 2GR-swapped cars there - one on a budget and one done correctly.

Maybe? Although actually getting it to the Challenge will be tough in any case since we have to bring event gear over, too. At this point I *think* we have all the pieces to assemble the car, but I'm sure there's probably stuff we don't have that we don't know we don't have until we get to that step. You know how it goes.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
3/22/23 1:00 p.m.

"The two on the left are in pretexting holes. "  Did you really mean pre-existing?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/22/23 2:49 p.m.

I've always loved the MR2, I've never had the chance to drive one. But just the looks alone, and the idea of getting more power in it is awesome. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
3/22/23 4:37 p.m.

kbatch80
kbatch80 GRM+ Member
5/10/23 8:02 a.m.

I can't wait to see the new FIRM times with the 2GR.  Keep it up!

BenB
BenB HalfDork
5/10/23 8:53 a.m.

This is my dream project. Unfortunately, it will have to remain a dream, so I'll just live vicariously through you guys. Please keep the articles coming!

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
5/10/23 3:46 p.m.

The 2GR mated to the E153 is a wonderful match and one of my bestest projects I have ever done.  Mine was in a 47 year old car that is about 200 lbs lighter.   I am still enjoying the progress of this one, keep up the project and the great story!!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/23 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

dang.  thats pretty!

AhBNormal
AhBNormal New Reader
1/5/24 10:57 a.m.

Like everyone has a Scorpio/Zagato lying around? (Or what ever the heck that amazing, beautiful, funky chassis is!!?) "What's in the Box???" 7

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/5/24 11:07 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to Scott_H :

dang.  thats pretty!

Dang, that certainly is. 

porschenut
porschenut Dork
1/5/24 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

I am fascinated.  This means it should work on any of the lancia cars of that vintage, right?  There is a zagato nearby with a bad trans.  Those fiat motors made nice sounds but were dogs.  Putting a toyota drivetrain into it might be interesting.

And the car is a montecarlo or scorpion.  Neat car that deserved way more than the 75 hp it got.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZbLFIzGcXPkRe3y6bFcjtPgg1pOmY8y4mRC124iL3rDNQH7el5xwbiPLVDpPNnHv