calteg
calteg Reader
4/13/14 9:00 p.m.

Outside of a plasma cutter + argon, what method of cutting aluminium will leave me with the cleanest cut? I experimented with a harbor freight cutoff wheel and came away unimpressed. I've heard a jigsaw suggested, any other clever ideas?

I'm trying to replicate this:

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
4/13/14 9:33 p.m.

Nibbler http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=nibbler

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
4/13/14 9:48 p.m.

I've had pretty good luck with a cutoff wheel on miata aluminum hoods. It can help to put a layer of good masking tape down on the area that you're going to cut before going to town. Also, it takes a pretty steady hand. Also also, the cutoff wheels cut much better when cutting in one direction vs the other (like climb vs conventional milling) - I don't remember which one though.

I don't know about those nibblers in particular, but some of the ones I've used before can bend the sheet metal around the cut. Probably was an old crappy one with dull blades, but something to watch for.

For reference, I cut the vents and hole for the supercharger in this hood with a cut off wheel.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/14 10:00 p.m.

I've had decent luck with cutoff wheels, you can get thinner ones to make a more precise cut.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
4/13/14 10:27 p.m.

I have used a sabre saw with a fine tooth blade. At least 24T to 32T per inch.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/13/14 10:41 p.m.

The thinnest high quality wafer disc you can get.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
4/14/14 3:36 a.m.

HF grinder, DeWalt wheels.

-J0N

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
4/14/14 6:03 a.m.

Tape down a flexible straight edge to help cut straight. I've used semi thin strips of aluminum for this before. The cut off wheel cuts are more impressive once you go back and clean up the edges. Go thin. Go slow and allow the heat to dissipate.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/14/14 6:17 a.m.

And follow up with a file.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/14 7:13 a.m.

I have used a cutoff wheel on a dremil... that was a -very- long day

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/14/14 8:29 a.m.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-metal-saw-91753.html

EDIT: Another way I've done thin stuff that is hard to keep from flibbering with a recip blade is to press/clamp/screw/etc it onto a piece of plywood or paneling and use the a saw to cut thru both.

Again, use painter's tape if using a recip type saw... it will keep you from scratching the face where you drag the saw along.

calteg
calteg Reader
4/14/14 8:45 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: Tape down a flexible straight edge to help cut straight. I've used semi thin strips of aluminum for this before. The cut off wheel cuts are more impressive once you go back and clean up the edges. Go thin. Go slow and allow the heat to dissipate.

Great advice up in hur

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
4/14/14 12:35 p.m.

I cut aluminum diamond plate half-doors for my Samurai with a circular saw with a wood blade turned backward.

Recommended to me by the guy I bought the 4x8 sheet from. I was skeptical at first but lo and behold, it worked!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrqO8b7Birt3JQ0kjaTLj8915qlfzDXtrYMQru8YCuSlsrnUW9MFGN3oJ1xivVVX